Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 965 times

Advertisements

This is my first time for unemployment, I have filed in my life.

I have filed a claim last week(12/02/2020). I got a letter from unemployment today(12/09/2020) and FRD is 12/6/2020.

My question is do I need to file for certifying for the first time, if no then when should I file for?

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 12:43 PM

1,146 posts, read 861,000 times
I'd be happy to help, but do not understand your question. What does FRD mean?

Yes, you do need to certify online every single week during the time period according to your social security number. Go to this website and click on "Certify For Weekly Benefits". Normally it would be around the same day/time every week, but sometimes the schedule changes slightly. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

https://www.myunemployment.nj.gov/

Old 12-11-2020, 12:44 PM

You will also see the schedule for filing when you click in Certify for Weekly Benefits.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:23 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,602 times
NJ unemployment weeks start on Sundays.
December 6 is a Sunday.
So you are eligible to certify for the week of Dec 6 - Dec 12 starting on Sunday Dec 13.
When you can claim is based on the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.
I just certified this week for the week of Nov 29 - Dec 5.

https://myunemployment.nj.gov

Last edited by ieee488; 12-12-2020 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-14-2020, 06:34 AM

414 posts, read 296,772 times
Usually you have to wait to speak to the agent who is handling your income verification (your last track record of earnings). You can check your case status online, but the balance will be zero until the case person establishes your weekly benefit amount and total payout allowed.

What you can do in the meantime is to enter your banking info if you prefer direct deposit.

My original case worker had a serious attitude problem back when I first filed. Seemed he was looking for any reason to deny the claim (and he couldn't find one).

Fast forward till recently...my benefit year expired in October, and the money left simply got zeroed out. It was a major pain trying to get the bottom of it since they rarely answer the phone. But with the help of another forum member here, I eventually got in touch with a live person who turned out to be superb. Although i had to go through a month with zero benefit, this case officer paid out retroactively without me even bringing it up. That was a welcomed surprise. And the max rate actually went up around $40 per week in the meantime, so that worked in my favor as well.

Just be nauseatingly nice when they call you, since they have to deal with thousands of people already upset by the completely useless support hotline (it won't let you leave a message, and is rarely staffed properly)

Old 12-14-2020, 07:49 AM

Good advice Al Dente. I did hear a brief mention on the news about the ability to either deduct or credit ourselves with ANY unpaid benefit money owed to us on our 2020 taxes. However, missed the details. I am not sure if its just for the federal money or state unemployment too. But something to look into just in case.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:23 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,602 times
From what atthemaare5252 wrote, she/he is all set. Just certify the claim each week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey