Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 12:17 PM

189 posts, read 582,413 times

Advertisements

Cranford and Glen Rock both seem to meet your criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 12:29 PM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadcity2864 View Post
Thank you everyone - will look into Morristown and Madison, and maybe test out the commute! That's promising to hear about the Morristown downtown improving. Do a lot of people in Madison and Morristown come from NYC/commute to the city?

And yes, I totally get that I might be sounding like I am contradicting myself, but I feel like certain towns are affluent but not predominantly flashy...Boston has a lot of that (Brookline, Newton, Cambridge, Lexington) as do parts of Westchester. (i.e. Larchmont vs Scarsdale), so I'm hoping to find the eqivalent in NJ. I'm fine if there are some flashy people, as long as you don't need to be riding around in a Mercedes/Tesla or wear a Moncler coat to fit in.
Yes, I understand. I think you actually did find the town you're looking for - it's Montclair .

I grew up in the Boston area so know that area well - New England in general is a bit more down to earth than NYC, and agree with you on Brookline, Newton & Cambridge (Concord would be the best example I think, though leans a bit more crunchy than anything you'd find here.) But Lexington is like Millburn/Short Hills on steroids, ha.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:23 PM

116 posts, read 234,798 times
Quote:
We’re 30 something year olds who lived in Brooklyn and are looking to move to NJ (maybe Westchester). We’re currently working from home but will likely commute into the city at some point. We love montclair and know we’d enjoy living there/find our community there but taxes, the crazy housing market are a deterrent.

We’re potentially looking at northern jersey, specifically Ridgewood, Westfield, Madison, but open to other options. Would love feedback based on what we want! Also, we know enough about South Orange and Maplewood, so other towns

Good schools - doesn’t have to be insanely competitive, but good solid schools
Walkability and a charming downtown with local stores/restaurants/coffee shops
Train line - must-have
Not super snooty - we understand many nice towns have certain snobby people but we at least want to find some people we can mesh with (young professionals, people who are interested in books, music,
Podcasts, museums in the city). We just don’t want super flashy - or no 16 yr olds with Benz’s and Chanel bags.
Liberal but not super left-leaning
Secular Jewish community - or people who celebrate the high holidays and a town that has some visible Hanukkah menorahs. Doesn’t have to be the majority but enough to make Jewish friends to celebrate holidays with.
Healthy population of working moms
Not rural - I want to see my neighbors and don’t need a McMansion

I’m very focused on the town because ideally we’s like to build a community, make friends!

So would love to hear any feedback! Thank you!!

Long list, hate to break to it to you as a New Yorker who moved to West Orange 3 and half years ago. You need to accept that no town will come close to any 5 boros. You move here to get away from that. Sure Montclair is nice and they ridiculously try to be lower east side but it will never happen unless you like seeing homeless weirdos in your main street and pay 18k+ a year in property taxes. my town has no downtown charm or train but it has direct bus service and jitney to the trains help. You will need a car everywhere you go. I like my neighbors, each block is different. I came in expecting BBQ's and parties and fun times with everyone. It is not like that lol. In fact I felt I had more community in Queens as my block was pretty tight and we did everything we could to keep it safe. You can go days without seeing your neighbors. West Orange in beautiful though and I enjoy very much. Yeah, taxes are high but its NJ and I enjoy being near every single town within a 10 min distance that has higher taxes than mine.

Look into Milburn, I dont know anything about Jewish communities other than my neighbors are Jewish.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchFrost View Post
Yeah, taxes are high but its NJ and I enjoy being near every single town within a 10 min distance that has higher taxes than mine.
The only towns within a 10 minute distance of West Orange with higher taxes are Orange and East Orange. OK, maybe if you hustle you can make it to Irvington.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:03 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Long list, hate to break to it to you as a New Yorker who moved to West Orange 3 and half years ago. You need to accept that no town will come close to any 5 boros. You move here to get away from that. Sure Montclair is nice and they ridiculously try to be lower east side but it will never happen unless you like seeing homeless weirdos in your main street and pay 18k+ a year in property taxes. my town has no downtown charm or train but it has direct bus service and jitney to the trains help. You will need a car everywhere you go. I like my neighbors, each block is different. I came in expecting BBQ's and parties and fun times with everyone. It is not like that lol. In fact I felt I had more community in Queens as my block was pretty tight and we did everything we could to keep it safe. You can go days without seeing your neighbors. West Orange in beautiful though and I enjoy very much. Yeah, taxes are high but its NJ and I enjoy being near every single town within a 10 min distance that has higher taxes than mine.

Look into Milburn, I dont know anything about Jewish communities other than my neighbors are Jewish.
Livingston ,Short Hills/Millburn .

Old 01-31-2022, 12:55 PM

116 posts, read 234,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The only towns within a 10 minute distance of West Orange with higher taxes are Orange and East Orange. OK, maybe if you hustle you can make it to Irvington.
I guess you live down the hill, I can make it to Montclair and Milburn in under 10 mins from my house. 15 to Milburn if its a Sunny warm day as Cherry lane gets congested with Zoo traffic and the reservation. Montclair is closer than East Orange for me.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I guess you live down the hill, I can make it to Montclair and Milburn in under 10 mins from my house. 15 to Milburn if its a Sunny warm day as Cherry lane gets congested with Zoo traffic and the reservation. Montclair is closer than East Orange for me.
Montclair and Millburn have lower taxes. I live in St Cloud, so up the hill. Closest neighboring town is actually Livingston (straight up Northfield or 10), but that's lower taxes too.

Effective tax rates:

Montclair: 2.840%

Millburn: 1.900%

Livingston: 2.289%

West Orange: 3.634%

East Orange: 3.834%

Irvington: 4.863%

Orange: 5.232%

Old 02-01-2022, 06:28 AM

487 posts, read 365,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Montclair and Millburn have lower taxes. I live in St Cloud, so up the hill. Closest neighboring town is actually Livingston (straight up Northfield or 10), but that's lower taxes too.

Effective tax rates:

Montclair: 2.840%

Millburn: 1.900%

Livingston: 2.289%

West Orange: 3.634%

East Orange: 3.834%

Irvington: 4.863%

Orange: 5.232%
Effective Tax rates mean nothing. it's just an arbitrary number based on artificial market value/equalization ratios.

Just focus on General Tax Rates. W Orange is BRUTAL

Old 02-01-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
Effective Tax rates mean nothing. it's just an arbitrary number based on artificial market value/equalization ratios.

Just focus on General Tax Rates. W Orange is BRUTAL
You've got it backwards. The General Tax Rates mean nothing for comparison purposes; the effective tax rates take into account different equalization ratios. West Orange has a general tax rate of 4.354%, which is indeed brutal. But as it happens, East Orange is 5.541%, Orange is 5.780%, and Irvington is 5.979%, so it's brutal there too.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:37 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,905 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone - will look into Morristown and Madison, and maybe test out the commute! That's promising to hear about the Morristown downtown improving. Do a lot of people in Madison and Morristown come from NYC/commute to the city?
Yes. Both good choices. Madison has plenty of train station parking. There's also Convent Station in Morris Twp (one stop west of Madison) which is going to be much easier to park at than Morristown station.

These towns meet most or all of your criteria. Madison is small and Morristown much larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey