Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 04:44 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times

Advertisements

Looks like there is a bill to require adults to wear a helmet (for safety).

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/12/nj-c...ke-helmet.html

i wonder how this will pan out when you consider people slowly ride bikes on the boardwalks. i wonder if those pedal cars will require helmets as well. perhaps a full motorcycle style helmet will work best

as someone who visits the NJ shore (ocean city), my unpopular opinion is that this is a dumb idea. i know most here will probably cheer such legislation on, citing head injury statistics and making the equivalence of wearing seatbelts to helmet wearing . it will save lives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 06:04 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Law is intended as a muni cash source.

Not sure what some cyclists are protecting with helmets. Ride at night on roads with no shoulder. Ride during the day on winding roads with no shoulder, double yellow and hills..posted 45 mph. Annoyed you stop and follow them for a 1/4 mile because you so not want to pull out into a blind curve or before the crest of a hill for fear of a head on. Apparently bikers are unfamiliar with how cars operate?

Six ft wide bike lane and riders double up and ride the white line or by themselves ride the line closest to traffic.

How about regs re riding at night, reflective clothes, curfew, restricted roadways. Want a shudder, check out some of the bike lanes in New Brunswick by the hospital. Cars parked on both sides of a narrow road and bicycles welcome. Surely these riders are not riding to preserve their health.

Your brains, your body! A group of elitist government officials, probably all white men, should not be telling you what to do with your body!

Old 12-03-2022, 06:43 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Not sure what some cyclists are protecting with helmets. Ride at night on roads with no shoulder. Ride during the day on winding roads with no shoulder, double yellow and hills..posted 45 mph. Annoyed you stop and follow them for a 1/4 mile because you so not want to pull out into a blind curve or before the crest of a hill for fear of a head on. Apparently bikers are unfamiliar with how cars operate?

Six ft wide bike lane and riders double up and ride the white line or by themselves ride the line closest to traffic.

How about regs re riding at night, reflective clothes, curfew, restricted roadways. Want a shudder, check out some of the bike lanes in New Brunswick by the hospital. Cars parked on both sides of a narrow road and bicycles welcome. Surely these riders are not riding to preserve their health.

Your brains, your body! A group of elitist government officials, probably all white men, should not be telling you what to do with your body!
Except this bill was sponsored by two black Assemblymen and one white (Hispanic?) assemblywoman. Racism is fun though - congratulations.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/A4894

Old 12-03-2022, 11:16 AM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
Just consider the lack of a helmet law as Darwin's law in action.

Frankly speaking I'm against any laws telling me what's required. Laws are supposed to define criminal acts. Not common sense activities. I can't stand nanny state overreach.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:23 AM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
Quote:

<snip>

This right here.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:08 PM

10,477 posts, read 6,991,011 times
A bit ridiculous of law to wear a helmet, especially while riding around on a beach cruiser bicycle.

Old 12-03-2022, 02:39 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
I don't think the law goes far enough. In addition to bikers, I think all drivers and passengers in all vehicles and mass transit should be wearing helmets. Also, if you go for a walk you should wear a helmet. There has been an increase in pedestrian deaths recently in NJ.

Personally, I have been wearing a helmet whenever I enter the bathroom, the most dangerous room in the house. I am actually leaning towards 24hr/day helmet wear. It seems to be the safest thing to do.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:35 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Sponsored by Atkins, Spearman, and Chaparro. As a white man, I certainly don't want a group of diverse government officials (two black men and a Hispanic woman) telling me what to do with my body :-)

Eh, just another stupid NJ law I'll be breaking from time to time. The general rule is that everything's illegal in NJ anyway.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:50 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Ride at night on roads with no shoulder. Ride during the day on winding roads with no shoulder, double yellow and hills..posted 45 mph.
I take the roads as they are, not how I'd like them to be. For instance, I live in West Orange; there's few roads which usefully cross the Watchung ridges, and except for Walker they're all pretty major roads. (South Orange Avenue, Northfield, Route 10, I-280, Eagle Rock, and Bloomfield cross the western ridge, the same plus Walker, Blanchard and a few dead ends cross the eastern ridge. Blanchard isn't useful, it starts at the top, reachable only via South Orange Avenue. Walker requires at least a short stint on Northfield).

Quote:
Annoyed you stop and follow them for a 1/4 mile because you so not want to pull out into a blind curve or before the crest of a hill for fear of a head on. Apparently bikers are unfamiliar with how cars operate?
You're a New Jersey driver, you can just pass. Few roads are so narrow you can't pass a cyclist reasonably safely. (I'm not one of those cyclists who insists on "taking the lane", that's just being an a--hole).

Quote:
I've never seen a 6 foot wide bike lane in NJ. It's like a whole 'nother country, that is...

Quote:
How about regs re riding at night
There are; it's legal provided you have lights.

Quote:
restricted roadways.
As far as I know it is illegal to ride on the Interstates.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:57 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,586 times
The Netherlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayPDlDi9Ug4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey