Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 05:27 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times

Advertisements

I love that most of us have been there, but only once lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 07:05 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Unlike a lot of Jerseyites, I NEVER had relatives in New York City. As a matter of fact, I don't think any of my grandparents ever went to the city in their lives despite the fact that they lived 30 miles northwest of it. The only reason I went to the city as a kid was on field trips to the UN and the Natural History Museum, and then when I was 15, my piano teacher took me to an oratorio at St. Bartholomew's Church followed by Italian food in Chelsea. It was a big adventure, and I would loftily tell friends how I went to an Italian restaurant in Chelsea but would not have been able to tell you what street I was on or where Chelsea actually was, lol.

I applied for jobs in the city after a dare by a teacher at my secretarial school, and then worked there for the next forty years.

All my greats/great-greats came directly to northern New Jersey, mostly from the Netherlands, but the English ones whose last name I have came from Manchester in the UK. They would have had to be processed through either Castle Garden or Ellis Island, depending upon when they came, but none of them ever lived there.
My mother’s family is like yours, all NJ from the time they set foot on US soil. We only ended up in NY because my father was originally from there. He took the job and moved us back when I was 8.

Which leads to the OP: even as a Staten Islander growing up, we never went to Coney Island. It’s pretty much a Brooklyn-people thing. Growing up, my friends who went there were those whose families originally came from Brooklyn.

My first time in Coney Island I was a cop working the beach detail and we got into a massive fight. I remember when 6pm or so rolled around, my friend saying, “See how all the Jewish people are leaving at the same time? They’re smart.” Then soon after it all went to crap.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-04-2023, 09:25 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I love that most of us have been there, but only once lol
Id be willing to bet many NJ natives have never stepped foot or been only once in their lifetime to Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island.

Id also be willing to bet that most NJ natives go into Manhattan less than once a year with the majority only once a decade/never.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:09 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Id be willing to bet many NJ natives have never stepped foot or been only once in their lifetime to Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island.

Id also be willing to bet that most NJ natives go into Manhattan less than once a year with the majority only once a decade/never.

You’re probably right. Most of the people in the places I’ve lived are from NYC (myself included, although I was a kid when we moved here) so I would suspect they still go back at least occasionally. I remember going to college with a girl from South Jersey who said she had never been to NYC. I found that strange at the time but I’m sure there are many people like her the further south or west into NJ you go.

Old 10-05-2023, 02:01 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

You would be wrong. Bigly!

Old 10-05-2023, 04:41 AM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
My husband grew up in NJ, 30 miles from Manhattan and I was shocked when he told me he'd never been to Coney Island. Is it not "a thing" for locals?

I had equated it to not going to Disneyland when you live nearby, although I realize they are not quite the same, but still. I grew up near Disneyland and we went a few times a year. Sure, they are both overrun by tourists, but worth visiting.

How about you locals?
Grew up on Staten Island, we went to Jersey shore.

Dad hauled us kids and Mom out to Coney Island once, my brothers and I weren't impressed and thus like Statue of Liberty we could say we've "been" but never no more.

That being said plenty of Manhattan residents head out to Coney Island. Know this because you see them hauling all sorts of beach stuff making their way to subway (D,Q, F, N trains) and again later in day coming back.

There is also perhaps a status thing. Many residents prefer Jersey shore or Long Island (the Hamptons, Fire Island, Jones Beach, Long Beach). Then you have Breezy Point, Jacob Riis, the Rockaways...

What Coney Island does have going for it are the rides and other amusements. If you want more than just being on beach then unless going down to Jersey shore CI is pretty much about it.

Old 10-05-2023, 04:55 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
I, like many NY’ers, have also never been to the Statue of Liberty. But, I have ridden my jetski right up to her many of times, which I think is actually much cooler.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-05-2023, 05:15 AM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I, like many NY’ers, have also never been to the Statue of Liberty. But, I have ridden my jetski right up to her many of times, which I think is actually much cooler.
Had no say in matter. Trips to Statue of Liberty were either part of school class trips or summer camp. Either way one couldn't say "no" because it was one's parents call. It was pretty much like everything else; "we're paying and you're going..."

Old 10-05-2023, 05:49 AM

1,059 posts, read 549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Don't ask me! That's why I'm asking you guys, lol. I have no idea what it's like. I thought it was more than just a beach. No idea how hard or easy to get there, since I'm from the Left coast.

I thought it was this iconic place.
It is an iconic place, with much interesting history. Amusement area and a beach.

My mom who was more of a beach fan than I said that Coney island has gentler surf than many of the other beaches around here. Went there often, growing up in Brooklyn with a car-less family. My visiting PA cousins got their first sight of the ocean there.

Bay Ridge YouTuber Dutchmazz is living nearby temporarily and produced many videos there -- the Friday night fireworks among them.

YouTuber ActionKid also recorded videos there. His concentrate more on the amusement area than Dutch's beach oriented content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNTTouHZS64 Beach walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8pZGO2kiUs Fireworks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w-s8ad4QuU Memorial Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Zz0gBZMiE Wonder Wheel

Old 10-05-2023, 06:40 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Had no say in matter. Trips to Statue of Liberty were either part of school class trips or summer camp. Either way one couldn't say "no" because it was one's parents call. It was pretty much like everything else; "we're paying and you're going..."
My parents never ever took us to NYC or the SOL or anyplace like that. We do have pictures of us at Beach Haven, with nothing but sand dunes behind us, in 1964, and I have vague memories of a musty-smelling bungalow there. LBI was probably cheap back then.

But Dad was a WWII DAV who walked on artificial legs, and he couldn't stand the heat with the wool stump socks that he wore inside the legs. We went upstate NY to lakes more than the shore, and then the Pocono lake communities were beginning to form, and they bought a few lots and eventually built a couple of houses and ever after, that was our vacation spot.

Budget was also probably a consideration. With 7 kids, cost of day trips would have been high. As it was, when we went places, we stopped along the road, put down the tailgate of the old red Chevy station wagon, and ate the sandwiches my mother had packed in the cooler and washed them down with Kool-aid she'd brought in a jug.

The city was a dirty place where scary people lived. The idea of going to a beach there sounded skievy. I still know people/have relatives who would never even eat in the city because they think it's too dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey