Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 11:59 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, well, S&S, I guess we answered you!
Yes, you all did, lol. Think I have the basic picture picture now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 01:53 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I grew up in NJ, 30 miles from Manhattan, have lived most of my 65 years in NJ, worked in NYC most of my life, and I've never been to Coney Island, either.

Why would I? What is there that the Jersey Shore does not have?

As someone pointed out, it would be a huge pain in the ass to get there. For what?

By the way, I just got back from walking the mile-long boardwalk at the beach in Long Branch. Took me 15 minutes to get there.
Hell in the 60's we had Point Pleasant, and Asbury Park , even Belmar had some stuff on the Boardwalk why would anyone go to NY unless you lived there?

Old 10-04-2023, 02:39 PM

1,057 posts, read 546,781 times
New Jerseyites who visited relatives in Brooklyn probably went there at least once.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:30 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
New Jerseyites who visited relatives in Brooklyn probably went there at least once.
When I lived in Brooklyn--as a child--we visited Coney Island once.
Many years later, as an adult NJ resident, I visited once.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:31 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Don't ask me! That's why I'm asking you guys, lol. I have no idea what it's like. I thought it was more than just a beach. No idea how hard or easy to get there, since I'm from the Left coast.

I thought it was this iconic place.

I guess the question is, where did you hear it was an iconic place? I don’t hear many people at all talking about it

Old 10-04-2023, 03:44 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I also grew up in NJ, with a view of the Manhattan skyline out my bedroom window. Never went to Coney Island until 15 years after I moved to PA, and that was to see a Brooklyn Cyclones game. But like most people in NJ, we went to the Jersey Shore or Palisades Park so why bother with Coney Island?

Never visited the Statue of Liberty, either.
I went when I was 31 because my mother-in-law's new husband, from Wisconsin, wanted to go. I could see it out the window at work, but never actually went there until then. And never went back.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I guess the question is, where did you hear it was an iconic place? I don’t hear many people at all talking about it
That's a good question. And the first time I've ever heard anyone ask someone from NJ that.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Unlike a lot of Jerseyites, I NEVER had relatives in New York City. As a matter of fact, I don't think any of my grandparents ever went to the city in their lives despite the fact that they lived 30 miles northwest of it. The only reason I went to the city as a kid was on field trips to the UN and the Natural History Museum, and then when I was 15, my piano teacher took me to an oratorio at St. Bartholomew's Church followed by Italian food in Chelsea. It was a big adventure, and I would loftily tell friends how I went to an Italian restaurant in Chelsea but would not have been able to tell you what street I was on or where Chelsea actually was, lol.

I applied for jobs in the city after a dare by a teacher at my secretarial school, and then worked there for the next forty years.

All my greats/great-greats came directly to northern New Jersey, mostly from the Netherlands, but the English ones whose last name I have came from Manchester in the UK. They would have had to be processed through either Castle Garden or Ellis Island, depending upon when they came, but none of them ever lived there.

Old 10-04-2023, 04:33 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Nope, they came down to visit us "down the shore".

Old 10-04-2023, 05:22 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Coney Island was historically mostly a Brooklyn, Queens and maybe Manhattan thing. And mostly before the 70s, after which it became quite a sketchy place until recently. I grew up in the Bronx and southernmost Westchester in the 70s and 80s and only went to Coney Island because my Brooklyn based grandma would take me there when I visited her, other than that I probably would've never gone there (and again, it was already somewhat sketchy at that point) especially if I lived in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey