Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 11:55 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
There use to be this..................

Jungle Habitat, which was in West Milford, in Passaic County, New Jersey, United States, was a Warner Bros. -owned theme park that opened in the summer of 1972, and closed in October 1976. By November 1972, the park had 500,000 paid visitors.
We're both thinking of same place, I just got name confused. Jungle Junction was part of Jungle Habitat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner...October%201976.

Recall now seeing television commercials and adverts for Jungle Habitat as a kid, anything Warner Bros related got my vote, but neither of my parents were interested so we never went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 02:32 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
We're both thinking of same place, I just got name confused. Jungle Junction was part of Jungle Habitat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner...October%201976.

Recall now seeing television commercials and adverts for Jungle Habitat as a kid, anything Warner Bros related got my vote, but neither of my parents were interested so we never went.
Nether did we, we would go to Turtle Back Zoo instead.

Old 10-10-2023, 04:06 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, yes, it is famous. Iconic, even. That's not wrong. But when you ask people from a place like NJ that has closer and far more miles of nicer beaches, many with the same amenities as Coney Island, you're not going to get the same reaction as you would from people in other states.

Coney Island is famous BECAUSE it's part of New York City, which has a few beaches but is mostly urban, whereas New Jersey is straight-up famous for its beaches (and not so much for skyscrapers), so why would it care about another one in all the way over in New York? Relocate Coney Island to New Jersey, and you have what's already there in Atlantic City or Asbury Park or Point.

Anything in NYC has always gotten more attention in pop culture than NJ.
No, Coney Island is famous because at one time WWII and prior years, it was very nice. The steeple chase ride was famous and they had "side shows." The amusement park area was larger and of course, Nathan's (and their competitors) was a place where you could get a cheap and what was perceived as a "clean" cheap meal that you didn't get sick from, especially when it was originally kosher. The amusement park was the largest amusement park in the US with three large parks and several small independent attractions. Originally it had hotels and was a playground for the rich. It was also the location where Thomas Edison electrocuted that elephant to demonstrate a "modern" method for punishing criminals rather than hanging. It was one of the first places that had electricity. Like every place else in NYC, it began a decline in the 1950s. Once air travel became common, Day trips like Coney Island lost their popularity.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:18 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
No, Coney Island is famous because at one time WWII and prior years, it was very nice. The steeple chase ride was famous and they had "side shows." The amusement park area was larger and of course, Nathan's (and their competitors) was a place where you could get a cheap and what was perceived as a "clean" cheap meal that you didn't get sick from, especially when it was originally kosher. The amusement park was the largest amusement park in the US with three large parks and several small independent attractions. Originally it had hotels and was a playground for the rich. It was also the location where Thomas Edison electrocuted that elephant to demonstrate a "modern" method for punishing criminals rather than hanging. It was one of the first places that had electricity. Like every place else in NYC, it began a decline in the 1950s. Once air travel became common, Day trips like Coney Island lost their popularity.
But still, my point was that there were places in New Jersey that had all those same things or similar (ever see the photos of the horses diving off the steel pier in Atlantic City in pre-WWII years, lol?), and further north up the coast was Asbury Park, which had its heyday 1900 - 1950, so people in NJ didn't go to Coney Island because there was no need to. Since Coney Island was in New York City, it got more attention. People like my parents, when they were young, would never have even considered traveling to Brooklyn from New Jersey just to go to a beach town that was not much different from what they could drive a much shorter distance to in their own state.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:07 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But still, my point was that there were places in New Jersey that had all those same things or similar (ever see the photos of the horses diving off the steel pier in Atlantic City in pre-WWII years, lol?), and further north up the coast was Asbury Park, which had its heyday 1900 - 1950, so people in NJ didn't go to Coney Island because there was no need to. Since Coney Island was in New York City, it got more attention. People like my parents, when they were young, would never have even considered traveling to Brooklyn from New Jersey just to go to a beach town that was not much different from what they could drive a much shorter distance to in their own state.
Yes, but NJ was underpopulated and was primarily farmland before your parents' time. Coney Island already had developed a reputation even prior to the Gilded Age which is why people from outside of the NJ/NY area knew about it. It's reputation predates Asbury Park which is why the OP asked on this thread if people went to Coney Island. Travel in those days was not so easy, prior to the invention of motor vehicles. Atlantic City or Coney Island was like traveling to two different planets.

My point was that the OP who is not from our area, asked about Coney Island because it has/had more notoriety and history than any of the NJ beaches. Of course, your parents would go to a NJ beach, much closer.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:45 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Yes, but NJ was underpopulated and was primarily farmland before your parents' time. Coney Island already had developed a reputation even prior to the Gilded Age which is why people from outside of the NJ/NY area knew about it. It's reputation predates Asbury Park which is why the OP asked on this thread if people went to Coney Island. Travel in those days was not so easy, prior to the invention of motor vehicles. Atlantic City or Coney Island was like traveling to two different planets.

My point was that the OP who is not from our area, asked about Coney Island because it has/had more notoriety and history than any of the NJ beaches. Of course, your parents would go to a NJ beach, much closer.
I understand what your saying but I think your opinion is a little off here, First and foremost I think this is all relative to a person depending where they grew up. Again only speaking on my own history I would argue your statement here. Both areas were being developed within years of each other and I would argue your history points also. Not trying to disparage anyone just saying both offer many of the same things and were develop within years of each other. JMO.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:43 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:

Yes, which is exactly what some of us said upthread. We explained to her why it was not odd that people from NJ would never have gone to Coney Island, even though to her it was so famous that this surprised her.

Old 10-29-2023, 01:33 PM

356 posts, read 284,367 times
i won't cross over to new york anymore unless i can't get a flight out of newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey