Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 07:15 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I, like many NY’ers, have also never been to the Statue of Liberty.
+1
I was born in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, and lived there for the first 8 years of my life. Although my family and I went to Manhattan on a fairly regular basis, I never visited the Statue of Liberty or the top of the Empire State Building. Even after moving across the harbor to Bayonne, I still never visited Lady Liberty, although I did finally go to the top of the Empire State Building and the World Trade Center when I was an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 07:39 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
I was born in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, and lived there for the first 8 years of my life. Although my family and I went to Manhattan on a fairly regular basis, I never visited the Statue of Liberty or the top of the Empire State Building. Even after moving across the harbor to Bayonne, I still never visited Lady Liberty, although I did finally go to the top of the Empire State Building and the World Trade Center when I was an adult.
I went to the observation deck once at the World Trade Center, eighteen years after I started working in One WTC. Also went to the bar at Windows on the World once.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Also went to the bar at Windows on the World once.
Thanks for jogging my memory! Circa 1981, I had dinner there with some friends for a special occasion, and that resto was definitely more upscale than my usual haunts. I was dressed to the nines, but I betrayed my plebian status when I suddenly realized that I was drinking my beer from the bottle, instead of from the glass that the waiter had provided.

Really embarrassing!

Old 10-05-2023, 12:33 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a good question. And the first time I've ever heard anyone ask someone from NJ that.
I've known about its existence all my life, even on the Left coast. I had this impression it was an "iconic" thing but I guess I'm wrong. I put this in the NJ forum due to my husband being from NJ 30 miles from Manhattan and his stating he'd never been to CI. So I wondered....

Old 10-05-2023, 12:56 PM

46 posts, read 42,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I've known about its existence all my life, even on the Left coast. I had this impression it was an "iconic" thing but I guess I'm wrong. I put this in the NJ forum due to my husband being from NJ 30 miles from Manhattan and his stating he'd never been to CI. So I wondered....

I've lived in Texas all of my 63 years, and I also had the impression of Coney Island as an iconic landmark. Not sure why, I guess from hearing about it in movies maybe?

Old 10-05-2023, 01:08 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue512 View Post
I've lived in Texas all of my 63 years, and I also had the impression of Coney Island as an iconic landmark. Not sure why, I guess from hearing about it in movies maybe?
I think its known historically because it was an early/first seaside getaways thats been around for more than 125 years. Also, they have the hotdog eating contest there every 4th of July.

Old 10-05-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Let's not forget that many of those same movies attempt to convince the public that people from New Jersey say that they're from "Joisey". Nobody in NJ speaks that way... unless perhaps they moved from one of the grittier areas of Brooklyn, many years ago.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Quote:
Well, yes, it is famous. Iconic, even. That's not wrong. But when you ask people from a place like NJ that has closer and far more miles of nicer beaches, many with the same amenities as Coney Island, you're not going to get the same reaction as you would from people in other states.

Coney Island is famous BECAUSE it's part of New York City, which has a few beaches but is mostly urban, whereas New Jersey is straight-up famous for its beaches (and not so much for skyscrapers), so why would it care about another one in all the way over in New York? Relocate Coney Island to New Jersey, and you have what's already there in Atlantic City or Asbury Park or Point.

Anything in NYC has always gotten more attention in pop culture than NJ.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-05-2023 at 03:24 PM..

Old 10-05-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I think its known historically because it was an early/first seaside getaways thats been around for more than 125 years. Also, they have the hotdog eating contest there every 4th of July.
Cape May is a much older seaside resort, but Long Branch became a seaside vacation destination around the same time as Coney Island.

Cape May was more popular with Philadelphians, though.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:34 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Id be willing to bet many NJ natives have never stepped foot or been only once in their lifetime to Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island.

Id also be willing to bet that most NJ natives go into Manhattan less than once a year with the majority only once a decade/never.
Describes many people from my town....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey