Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 06:39 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Cape May is a much older seaside resort, but Long Branch became a seaside vacation destination around the same time as Coney Island.

Cape May was more popular with Philadelphians, though.
Cape May was the first seaside resort in America.. but it obviously doesn't get the attention Coney Island does. Which is fine with me, less riff raff ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 06:40 PM

88,531 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Cape May was the first seaside resort in America.. but it obviously doesn't get the attention Coney Island does. Which is fine with me, less riff raff ....
Totally different vibe from Coney Island. Thank God!

Old 10-06-2023, 06:11 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
I was born in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, and lived there for the first 8 years of my life. Although my family and I went to Manhattan on a fairly regular basis, I never visited the Statue of Liberty or the top of the Empire State Building. Even after moving across the harbor to Bayonne, I still never visited Lady Liberty, although I did finally go to the top of the Empire State Building and the World Trade Center when I was an adult.
Dad grew up in Bay Ridge, Mom on Midwood Street. They met through college friends and both families would go to the same town "down the Shore" and never knew it, we would go to the Hamilton House Restaurant(grill) out side of Ft, Hamilton all the time when visiting once the Verrazano opened up. Growing up in NJ in the 70's we would hop a train and go to the Garden to see the Knicks or the Rangers.
As for Manhattan, like I said Rangers and Knicks, been to Rockefeller plaza a bunch and while I have never been to the SOL or WTC have been to the RCMH, Empire, St,Patricks, Central Park and Wall Street a good deal.

We have pictures of my girls as kids on top of the World Trade center in the early 90's(I was not there) just like in Home Alone 2.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:19 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Lived in North Jersey most of my young life, never been to Coney Island which is known for it's hotdogs. IIRC, it was one of the first places people were able to buy a hotdog when they were invented. There is a whole show about the invention of hotdogs on one of the discovery channels, a show about foods building the US.

I also went down the Jersey shore or Great adventure. I was about 10 when Great adventure opened in 1974. We also did a trip to Hershey park.

We had other places too such as Bowcraft in Scotch Plains plus an a place named action park that is now closed. They always had commercials on the TV. There was/is also a storybook land geared towards little kids.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Lived in North Jersey most of my young life, never been to Coney Island which is known for it's hotdogs. IIRC, it was one of the first places people were able to buy a hotdog when they were invented. There is a whole show about the invention of hotdogs on one of the discovery channels, a show about foods building the US.

I also went down the Jersey shore or Great adventure. I was about 10 when Great adventure opened in 1974. We also did a trip to Hershey park.

We had other places too such as Bowcraft in Scotch Plains plus an a place named action park that is now closed. They always had commercials on the TV. There was/is also a storybook land geared towards little kids.
Action Park was a dangerous place. There is a whole documentary on it.

https://www.classactionpark.com/

Old 10-07-2023, 09:47 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I've known about its existence all my life, even on the Left coast. I had this impression it was an "iconic" thing but I guess I'm wrong. I put this in the NJ forum due to my husband being from NJ 30 miles from Manhattan and his stating he'd never been to CI. So I wondered....
It is iconic, but there has not been a lot of love between NY and NJ, so people from NJ would not be rushing to NY for anything. My son was born in NJ but my husband and I are from Brooklyn. I grew up going to Coney Island all the time so my son has been too. He loves the aquarium, which is still awesome, and knows the joy of Nathan's fries on the boardwalk. We don't go to the beach there because we live right by it it in NJ and wouldn't stay for fireworks. I don't even know if they still do them? My brother worked at Deno's when he was like 13. It used to be great to go to the airshows too!

Old 10-07-2023, 10:26 AM

329 posts, read 224,915 times
Quote:

As a child growing up in Phila., whenever I'd hear or read of Coney Island, I'd think of Pleasure Island, the place the bad kids took Pinocchio. We only went to the south Jersey beaches - Margate, Ocean City, Cape May, etc.

Storybook Land! We took my kids there all the time, Roselvr. It has been renovated, I think, and is still there. What an enchanting little place.

Old 10-08-2023, 08:42 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
As a child growing up in Phila., whenever I'd hear or read of Coney Island, I'd think of Pleasure Island, the place the bad kids took Pinocchio. We only went to the south Jersey beaches - Margate, Ocean City, Cape May, etc.

Storybook Land! We took my kids there all the time, Roselvr. It has been renovated, I think, and is still there. What an enchanting little place.

A toddler I baby sat went to storybook land, probably about 1978. I've never been there. I've seen a sign for it on one of the highways down here.

There used to be another place too that was more of a safari, it closed right before Great Adventure opened. I don't recall the name. We went there once.

Old 10-09-2023, 12:39 AM

31,899 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
A toddler I baby sat went to storybook land, probably about 1978. I've never been there. I've seen a sign for it on one of the highways down here.

There used to be another place too that was more of a safari, it closed right before Great Adventure opened. I don't recall the name. We went there once.
Jungle Junction?

https://www.nj.com/passaic-county/20...or-locals.html

Old 10-09-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

There use to be this..................

Jungle Habitat, which was in West Milford, in Passaic County, New Jersey, United States, was a Warner Bros. -owned theme park that opened in the summer of 1972, and closed in October 1976. By November 1972, the park had 500,000 paid visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey