Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times

Advertisements

Morris County is probably my overall favorite. Great mix of charming suburbs (Chatham, Madison, Florham Park), great downtowns (add Morristown to the prior 3), some great wilderness, and semi-rural areas (Mendham, Chester, Mt Olive)

I can honestly say that I wouldn't live in any town in Middlesex County (sorry Middlesexers). Where are the nice towns there? I see all cookie cutter developments, it makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:08 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
We did a poll about which is your favorite county a while ago:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ew-jersey.html

Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Ignorance is among us.
Who cares where you wanna live, and it looks you seem "jealous" that most people are choosing northern counties.. which is pretty sad

No, I'm not jealous (trust me) but as someone who's lived in south Jersey all my life, I get a little irritated when people mention our state and only talk about what's above Trenton. (go to WeirdNJ.com and see for yourself...hardly anything at all on there about my area, which is disappointing.) People make it sound like everything above Trenton is wonderful and what's below is dustlands and tumbleweeds.

And as far as the other poster who asked if I saw their fall foliage pix of North Jersey, no I haven't but if you'd post some I'll check them out.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
No, I'm not jealous (trust me) but as someone who's lived in south Jersey all my life, I get a little irritated when people mention our state and only talk about what's above Trenton. (go to WeirdNJ.com and see for yourself...hardly anything at all on there about my area, which is disappointing.) People make it sound like everything above Trenton is wonderful and what's below is dustlands and tumbleweeds.

And as far as the other poster who asked if I saw their fall foliage pix of North Jersey, no I haven't but if you'd post some I'll check them out.
You are going to find jersgrl that this forum is slanted about 90% towards Northern NJ talk. Many threads that inquire about towns south of I-195, and especially south of Camden are often not even responded to. I think it's just a consequence of population dispersion throughout the state.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
As opposed to you, who said "anything above Trenton is a dump", and "I don't know anything about North Jersey because I've never been there". As Mark Twain said: "travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness."

As to my NORTH JERSEY foliage pictures, here you go:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ll#post5675471

Old 10-16-2008, 02:02 PM

468 posts, read 580,660 times
Lived in Warren and Somerset,traveled in most others.

Favorite: Warren for it's country feel.
Least: Camden...just horrible for so many reasons...blech!

Old 10-16-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
As opposed to you, who said "anything above Trenton is a dump", and "I don't know anything about North Jersey because I've never been there". As Mark Twain said: "travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness."

As to my NORTH JERSEY foliage pictures, here you go:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ll#post5675471
I thought I recognized the street... Naughtright Rd. The wife used to work at a dental office right off Naughtright, I think I mentioned that to you once.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 10,592 times
Best- Sussex (eventhou a few others are quite close)

Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM

20 posts, read 71,259 times
I grew up in Old Bridge and moved to Jamesburg about 3 years ago, so I am not a "lifer" who has a jaded opinion. I bought here for a few key reasons:

-The quaint downtown (which could use more restaurants and bars but is still very functional). Most of the stores are owner-operated, which creates a nostalgic and customer friendly environment;
-The very nice and down-to-earth people. Before living here, I barely knew my neighbors. In Jamesburg, they come over to watch football games and cut my lawn without me asking!;
-The convenient location. We are within 3 minutes of Exit 8A on the Turnpike and within 10 minutes of various shopping centers on Routes 1, 130, 9 and 18.
-Contrary to popular belief, Jamesburg has one of the lowest crime rates in Middlesex County. The police have a huge presence and know when something is wrong. Sure there is a small issue here and there, but Jamesburg is just like any other town.
- The town is in the midst of a revitalization. They are renovating parks, adding decorative sidewalks to downtown, etc. New buildings are being built and the older ones are being restored. The county has plans to fix the crazy intersection and homeowners are improving their homes on every block.

If anyone is considering moving to the area, put Jamesburg at the top of the list!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:47 PM

468 posts, read 580,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1234567890 View Post
-The quaint downtown (which could use more restaurants and bars but is still very functional). Most of the stores are owner-operated, which creates a nostalgic and customer friendly environment;
-The very nice and down-to-earth people. Before living here, I barely knew my neighbors. In Jamesburg, they come over to watch football games and cut my lawn without me asking!;
-Contrary to popular belief, Jamesburg has one of the lowest crime rates in Middlesex County. The police have a huge presence and know when something is wrong. Sure there is a small issue here and there, but Jamesburg is just like any other town.
- The town is in the midst of a revitalization. They are renovating parks, adding decorative sidewalks to downtown, etc. New buildings are being built and the older ones are being restored. The county has plans to fix the crazy intersection and homeowners are improving their homes on every block.
I don't care much for the little cramped towns in NJ,such as Mt.Holly where I was today. They may be pedestrian friendly but not vehicle friendly!
It's like it only takes 4 cars to create a traffic jam,they have those 'stop for pedestrians at crosswalks' signs all over,the speed limit is like 5,and when they're doing repair work well then that just slows everything down all the more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey