Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 AM

49 posts, read 373,093 times

Advertisements

Is ADT any good with internet phone, no landline? How does that get accomplished (or do they just push the cell service on you)?

As you can see...6+ months, still no system. Procrastinator or researcher? You be the judge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
honestly not to call myself out, but how many feel like you need a security system? stick a sign in your front and get a dog and some lights

Old 11-02-2009, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 20,974 times
Agreed do not use the dealers. They get paid for selling your contract to them. Most dealers do the worst installation practices, use the cheapest equipment, use subs which are not even full fledged techs. They most likely do not even have a license to do alarms. The first clue should be if they do not come out to discuss system. That should be a strike against them. I would never use an security company that won't even come out to my site. That show how much you mean to them. Your only a dollar figure to them and not a customer. Also they do not pay there subs fair and on top of all of that they do 1099 them so after all said and done they are lucky if they make $20.00 for the install after gas, tolls etc. They just call you and make the tech do all the work sale and all. As far as eversafe goes they have many strikes against them. Go look them up on the Better Business Bureau. They have no idea about how to run a proper alarm company. The only thing they are good at is scamming to get your money. Also if you do go with one if the tech shows up in a unmarked car that should be your next clue to stay clear of that company.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 20,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn4Life View Post
Is ADT any good with internet phone, no landline? How does that get accomplished (or do they just push the cell service on you)?

As you can see...6+ months, still no system. Procrastinator or researcher? You be the judge...

You can use an alarm system with internet phone. It is not recommended by the manufacturers. But you can't use alarm with Vonage or Magic Jack. They have propriority networks that do not work with alarm systems. You can use a cell as a primary if no phone exists or if not able to use the carrier. You can also use a network card and have system send signals off of your high speed network via the internet. You will need a router additionally.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM

82 posts, read 304,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn4Life View Post

There are two good options that I've found if you want to go broadband and avoid the telephone line.

First, let me advise to avoid any monitoring company that locks you into an annual agreement (and in most cases, a 36 month agreement) at $30, $40 or more. That inclues ADT, broadview and similar 'leading national' companies. They are a rip off over the long run.

If you do want to limit your out of pocket investment and don't mind paying high monthly fees over a 3 year contract, then look into Protect America, which offers broadband monitoring using GE Simon systems.

The two alternatives are:

1) Ingrid Home Monitoring - Relatively inexpensive fully wireless, do it yourself installation system. $30 mo for fully monitored system (live operator monitoring by Guardian), including a virtual self monitor system that allows you to monitor the system via the web, or PDA (such as iPhone, Blackberry) etc. Down side is you have to pay monthly to get any benefit from the hardware, the hardware is of unknown quality (not a leading brand like Adempco or DCS), and the hardware choices are extremely limited (no recessed door or recessed window contacts).

2) Install a high quality Adempco system such as the Vista20P, add the internet board from myvirtualmonitoring.com, and you are all set for a fully live operator monitored + virtual monitoring via web site/PDA for under $14/mo ($16/mo on a month to month contract). For the Jersey area, you can have professional installers such as JM Resources in PA do the installation and leave the self-monitoring or subscription for you directly with myvirtualmonitoring.com.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 12,271 times
Default ADT/Telguard

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]I just read that ADT has changed the rules for Telguard's wireless alarm system...
"Previously, the ADT authorized dealers often selected Telguard equipment as the cellular communicator component of a system and that system was then immediately activated onto ADT’s monitoring service. Under this authorized dealer model, ADT dictates the monthly prices at which its monitoring service is sold. The new service pricing terms mandated by ADT to its authorized dealers require a monthly surcharge for those systems that include a Telguard unit. As a result, it is much less likely that the authorized dealers will choose Telguard products over other options.â€[/FONT]
any idea how will it impact current Telguard/ADT users?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 9,644 times
Smile ADT answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2NJ1DAY View Post
Can anyone comment on the pros & cons of going through ADT directly vs. using an authorized dealer?

I received a flyer for a $99 installation but when I called the number (thinking it was ADT) it was actually for Eversafe Security (google search shows they are the largest authorized ADT dealer in the northeast).

I called ADT directly and was told that they would make an appointment for an estimate and I could then shop around for prices from various authorized ADT dealers.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on if it's better to go direct?
Here's everything you need to know!

I really don't see any cons if you do your homework and don't let a local rep take advantage of you.

ADT is owned by TYCO, they are the largest home security supplier in the country and they are also international.

One of the things that seperates ADT from all the small fries is they sign you up for direct response monitoring. Most of the small companies just dial 911 for you when you have a problem. HUGE difference in response time and they usually don't tell you this when you sign up.

ADT corporate is pretty much sales oriented. They will charge you for every piece of equipment that goes in place.

An authorized dealer that focuses on promotional marketing is the best way to go. You will typically get a basic system (control box, backup battery, key pad, siren, 3 door contacts and a motion detector) free of charge.

Their programs are centered around free equipment, free installation and wiring. The activation fee of $99.00 and the monthly monitoring contract are the keys. Monthly monitoring varies from region to region and there are 100's of ways to skin this cat. I could write a book on this subject.

Most promotional marketing reps are high pressure though because their companies push volume really hard. Don't let them make you feel like you have to buy today or you'll mis out on the promotion. Just call another dealer when you are ready and more educated.

They can install wireless or hardwire your system. Most of the time it depends on whether or not you have an unfinished basement or access to a crawl space.

If you want any items beyond the basic package they will charge you for them, ie; smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, flood detector, remote key fob, ect...

Don't let them price gouge you. If they want your business bad enough you should be able to get most of the items at their wholesale cost. Just press them hard on the issue.

A 36 month contract is typical because that is how ADT functions. It's all based on recurring monthly residual income for them.

There is lot more to go over but this should be a good start.

Bottom line, $99.00 activation, about $33.99 per month (depending on region) for 36 months. If you pay your contract out in advance you should be offered a 10% discount, if they don't, punt and call the next dealer on your list.

Also, smoke detectors give you maximum deducts with your home owners insurance premium (about 20% off). They pay for themselves in less than 2 years, I highly recommend them. Plus they are proven to prevent 80% of the damage versus a non monitored detector.

Go to [URL="http://www.homesecurityprotectionnetwork.com"]www.homesecurityprotectionnetwork.com[/URL] if you want more information.

Good luck and I hope this helped!

Mike

Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 PM

312 posts, read 1,164,225 times
My alarm system was installed by a third party and my monthly service is around $10. 33/month sounds crazy. I have door sensors, glass break sensors, motion detectors, and the smoke detectors are all wired into the system. We only have it connected to the phone line but I am probably going to add the cell phone service. Every time we had a false alarm the police were on the scene in approximately 5 minutes.

Do I think this is worth it? Definitely. I live on a very quiet street and people are usually home during the day in many of the houses but last year our neighbor's house was buglarized. They were cleaned out and of course they did not have an alarm system. If a burglar or other criminal is going to pick a house to rob and they have a choice between the house without the alarm system and the one with, which one are they going to pick? I hate to say it this way but I rather they not pick my house.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Gup

115 posts, read 204,370 times
My old alarm system is in shambles.

Do you any of you guys know a reputable installer in northern NJ? My old system is hardwired and my plan is to buy new some new equipment, have an installer install it, and then use either my current monitoring company or jump to a new one.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 13,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
My alarm system was installed by a third party and my monthly service is around $10. 33/month sounds crazy. I have door sensors, glass break sensors, motion detectors, and the smoke detectors are all wired into the system. We only have it connected to the phone line but I am probably going to add the cell phone service. Every time we had a false alarm the police were on the scene in approximately 5 minutes.

Do I think this is worth it? Definitely. I live on a very quiet street and people are usually home during the day in many of the houses but last year our neighbor's house was buglarized. They were cleaned out and of course they did not have an alarm system. If a burglar or other criminal is going to pick a house to rob and they have a choice between the house without the alarm system and the one with, which one are they going to pick? I hate to say it this way but I rather they not pick my house.

Do you mind sharing or pm'ing me the third party installer you used? I don't live in NJ but would like to research for reference. Does the third party actually provide the monitoring service?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: