Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 PM

148 posts, read 639,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobi View Post
Actually most of the people that are buying houses in Union are Portugese, all my neighbors are portugese and are bringing more friends and family into Union. And what are portugese they are caucasian from Europe, wherever they are real estate values go up because they really take care of places where they live. Union high school maybe is not the best and Burnet Middle school might not be best also but look at Kawamee middle school there is nothing bad about that school. Of course those 2 schools (high school and Burnet are affected by Vauxhall section of the town) but they arent horrible or bad. Overcrowded maybe but when it comes to education level they are not lowering it so kids would pass like they do in Irvington or other towns. I could argue about this whole day but everybody is free to have their own opinion.
i get the overall point youre making and I mostly agree. Union is not westfield summit or clark but not everyone could afford those towns. I know we certainly can not. I really like towns like linden (or at least while i was growing up) b/c it always felt like it was a place where hardworking (not rich) families could buy a home and give there children a nice/safe place to live and schools to attends w/out metal detectors...sure its not the top tier of towns but once again not everyone can afford those places...now that i am looking into buying a home (also being young, married, and with a small child) i have to find a place within my budget that offers starting out families a good deal and in jersey its hard to come by esp if you need to commute into NYC. I would LOVE maplewood but thank goodness there are places like Union and linden or else i would probably be forced into newark or someplace similar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 PM

131 posts, read 605,458 times
Thats what i am saying and thats the reason it was part of BIG 100 (according to CNN) because its affordable with good location decent schools, low crime and most important its still affordable. Its like buying a BENTLEY and everybody will say its better then Cadillac but when you look at it how much you have to pay for Bentley Cadillac then looks very good, just like the towns we are talking about.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM

234 posts, read 537,459 times
Quote:
Thats what i am saying and thats the reason it was part of BIG 100 (according to CNN) because its affordable with good location decent schools, low crime and most important its still affordable. Its like buying a BENTLEY and everybody will say its better then Cadillac but when you look at it how much you have to pay for Bentley Cadillac then looks very good, just like the towns we are talking about.
Odd car comparison.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:21 PM

Yea i know but you cant compare Union to towns like Livingston, i was just trying to make a point by giving a differnt example.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM

To be frank, we live in Cranford now and don't really like the attitude of many of its' residents that we have encountered. What I have encountered routinely are people who act snobbish and snooty for seemingly no apparent reason. They are not wealthy, intelligent nor accomplished. My husband and I were in stitches after one party listening to everyone's self-aggrandizing conversations. (Many of which used words that were out of context or were pronounced incorrectly.)

Old 08-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yea i know but you cant compare Union to towns like Livingston, i was just trying to make a point by giving a differnt example.
Comparing a Bentley to a Caddy is like... comparing a Pagani Zonda to a Pontiac Solstice

Old 08-13-2008, 01:33 PM

526 posts, read 2,069,300 times
Quote:
Actually most of the people that are buying houses in Union are Portugese, all my neighbors are portugese and are bringing more friends and family into Union. And what are portugese they are caucasian from Europe, wherever they are real estate values go up because they really take care of places where they live. Union high school maybe is not the best and Burnet Middle school might not be best also but look at Kawamee middle school there is nothing bad about that school. Of course those 2 schools (high school and Burnet are affected by Vauxhall section of the town) but they arent horrible or bad. Overcrowded maybe but when it comes to education level they are not lowering it so kids would pass like they do in Irvington or other towns. I could argue about this whole day but everybody is free to have their own opinion.
The only reason the Portuguese (who are Spanish-speaking European) have the opportunity to buy in is because a lot of the American Caucasian residents have left ... and this has been going on for quite some time now. I'm not saying Union's a bad town, but it's a changing town. It is much more diverse than even, say, five years ago, and the middle schools and high school are in decline. To put it simply: It's not as nice a town as it was 5 or 10 years ago.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
i get the overall point youre making and I mostly agree. Union is not westfield summit or clark but not everyone could afford those towns. I know we certainly can not. I really like towns like linden (or at least while i was growing up) b/c it always felt like it was a place where hardworking (not rich) families could buy a home and give there children a nice/safe place to live and schools to attends w/out metal detectors...sure its not the top tier of towns but once again not everyone can afford those places...now that i am looking into buying a home (also being young, married, and with a small child) i have to find a place within my budget that offers starting out families a good deal and in jersey its hard to come by esp if you need to commute into NYC. I would LOVE maplewood but thank goodness there are places like Union and linden or else i would probably be forced into newark or someplace similar
Linden? Have you been to Linden lately?? It's quickly becoming a slum. When you see kids from Sunnyside (easily Linden's best section) catching the bus to private school, that should tell you something right there.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 PM

I really didnt know that Cranford was like that, i knew person that moved out of Union to Cranford and after that they were different people. They started acting like they are better then everybody. But i am surprised with Cranford i never encounted that in Union probably because people are more on the same level with neighbors.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcats70 View Post
To be frank, we live in Cranford now and don't really like the attitude of many of its' residents that we have encountered. What I have encountered routinely are people who act snobbish and snooty for seemingly no apparent reason. They are not wealthy, intelligent nor accomplished. My husband and I were in stitches after one party listening to everyone's self-aggrandizing conversations. (Many of which used words that were out of context or were pronounced incorrectly.)
Wow ... you found Cranford to be snooty. Well, that's a first. Most people say it's one of the nicest, friendliest towns in the state. I live next door and I kind of wish I had moved there instead. Oh well, to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey