Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:13 AM

919 posts, read 3,396,095 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I live out West but work for a NY-based company and am thinking of relocating as it would be a good move, career-wise. Our HQ is near Washington Square Park in Manhattan, but being of avg. salary, I'm not married to the idea of living in the City. I'd be renting, so the more I can keep in my pocket, the better.

That said, it seems NJ is just as convenient as the Boroughs in terms of being near, but not in the city. I'm also upper 30s, single, and like some options in terms of nightlife (more pub than club), locally owned eateries, etc. So hopefully an areas where I can meet some single professionals, but not "too hip" if you know what I mean. Any suggestions? I've spent a few days with friends in Hoboken, but that's about it.

Also, do you see any advantages to living in NJ vs. the Boroughs (prices, taxes, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 02:59 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
as far as prices and clothing tax, NJ would be less expensive. but you will need a car, whereas if you lived anywhere in NY bouroughs, you could rely on public transportation.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:58 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Even living in Brooklyn or Queens you'll be happier with a car. The train into and around Manhattan is convenient, but taking a city bus is a nightmare.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:44 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Even living in Brooklyn or Queens you'll be happier with a car. The train into and around Manhattan is convenient, but taking a city bus is a nightmare.
Eh, the bus takes some getting used to, but I love it. If the subway doesn't get me there, the bus does.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Really? I always hated taking the bus. Everything about it - the length of time it would take to get anywhere, the other people. blech.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM

919 posts, read 3,396,095 times
Just to clarify, I'd be interested in adjacent areas where are car is not needed initially. In time I might realize a desire to move further out into the burbs but for the first year or two I'm thinking of being closer in. Thus I'm wanting to compare Weehawken, etc. vs. Greenpoint, etc.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 PM

217 posts, read 1,147,390 times
Bayonne, NJ sounds good for you.. lots to do, it has all the night life in its downtown area and its 1 city away from the Jersey City night life.. its close to the Hollannd, Lincoln tunnel and the GWB. and the rent is good for that area. about 800 for 1 bed can be found for a decent area.
but you can get nicer 1 bedrooms for a little higher.

And YES you will need a car in jersey.. U can also use public transportation to and from NY/NJ. you woulnt have to pay for the tolls.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:15 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
I would say Brooklyn or Queens nabes should be checked out. There are many areas where you could get by without a car. These locations would be better for a single person. Do not burden yourself with a car if you don't have to. You can look in NJ but you will find the car issue to be limiting in many instances. After a few years carless you can make a more informed decision on that but no reason to burden yourself from the jump.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:21 AM

46 posts, read 111,466 times
Newark? Jersey City? The sixth borough? You got to be freaking kidding me. None of these two cities have a popullation of at least one million.None of these cities have a economic and finacial status like New York or Philly. No cultural,no rich history,no 24hr night life none of that. Just two run down cities in between New York and Philly, mooching off the jobs and buisness. And now I hear north jersey calling themselves the sixth borough,Please,just stop!! If Jersey is to be called something it should be called the "in between state". "In between New York and Philly".

Old 09-13-2008, 07:52 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOBAL LIVE View Post
Newark? Jersey City? The sixth borough? You got to be freaking kidding me. None of these two cities have a popullation of at least one million.None of these cities have a economic and finacial status like New York or Philly. No cultural,no rich history,no 24hr night life none of that. Just two run down cities in between New York and Philly, mooching off the jobs and buisness. And now I hear north jersey calling themselves the sixth borough,Please,just stop!! If Jersey is to be called something it should be called the "in between state". "In between New York and Philly".
um...phily is not a state....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey