Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 AM

14 posts, read 87,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Wow, I have to say, I grew up in JC in the 70's and 80's into the early 90's and Pershing Field area ALWAYS SUCKED and apparently still does. Too bad!

Sorry you had to go through that. I got "mugged" walking to school in 2nd grade. I lived on Grant Ave in JC and went to PS # 38 on Stegman. I got beaten and the kids stole my freaking candleholders that I was bringing for show & tell. It was 2 kids from Snyder that did it and the principal wouldn't even talk to my Mom after it happened. Then I had a similar incident in 38 school. That's when we moved to the Heights, whcih was actually nice back then, but the Pershing Field area was always sketchy at best.

I hope you stay safe! ....
Hey,

What do u think could be the best solution for this kind of mugging or hate crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_user1981 View Post
Hey,

What do u think could be the best solution for this kind of mugging or hate crime?
Understanding and education, honestly. Is it going to happen? I'm not too hopeful about it. But I try to live my life that way and hope that if you can inspire at least one other to do so, you'll help.

The area I grew up in was pretty rough. There were a lot of social problems that cannot be easily erased or solved by throwing money at them. A lot comes back to the home. There were a lot of kids in my school with problems at home like you couldn't beleive, a lot were raising themselves. They need a hand. CHILDREN don't ask to be born into these situations and unless corrected, they repeat themselves all too often.

SELF responsibility is another. Kids need to learn (as they grow) that the problem can STOP with them. I am not tollerant of the "I was abused as a child so now I will abuse" thought. You have to sometimes say "It STOPS with me."

This could be a LONG post..... there is so much to cover.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Understanding and education, honestly. Is it going to happen? I'm not too hopeful about it. But I try to live my life that way and hope that if you can inspire at least one other to do so, you'll help.

The area I grew up in was pretty rough. There were a lot of social problems that cannot be easily erased or solved by throwing money at them. A lot comes back to the home. There were a lot of kids in my school with problems at home like you couldn't beleive, a lot were raising themselves. They need a hand. CHILDREN don't ask to be born into these situations and unless corrected, they repeat themselves all too often.

SELF responsibility is another. Kids need to learn (as they grow) that the problem can STOP with them. I am not tollerant of the "I was abused as a child so now I will abuse" thought. You have to sometimes say "It STOPS with me."

This could be a LONG post..... there is so much to cover.

That was a wonderful post, Yes u r right, there r many social problems which truns the kids into such kind of thugs.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:24 PM

It makes me very sad. Yes, there are people who are just sociopaths out there, but for the most part, people who hurt others are usually pretty damaged themselves.

On this board I'm sure there are more than a few that would label me a "bleeding heart liberal." I'm really not. I consider myself a person and I like to think I have a decent heart, even though it is far from perfect. I know that all people deserve understanding, love, respect. Especially children. Nothing upsets me more than seeing children who are being mistreated. Nothing. I AM of the thought that it takes a village to raise a child. Of course parents are first and foremost, but there has to be more social support, in schools, clergy, community, neighbors... the world will never be perfect, but damn, it should be better than it is and it COULD be. And one person CAN make a difference, I've seen it more than a few times in my life.

While I like to look at the root of problems, this is where I'm not a bleeding heart, I feel once you've done the crime, you should do the time. I get very angry here because if a poor person does the crime and a well off person does the same, who do you think pays for it more? That said, I think EVERYONE has to pay for mistakes made. Me too. I mean, I'm not a criminal by any means, but I make mistakes, and when we make mistakes we have to pay the price and learn from them.

For example I posted today about a man up for parole who raped and murdered a 7 yr old in 1973. HE SHOULD NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY. And I don't care what his story was... you have to learn. If he was abused...get help, reach out, don't EVER hurt another child.... so sorry, he has no sympathy from me.

But I think we, as a society, have to look at the "causes" of things and try to do what we can to fix them, otherwise, it will never improve.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 AM

7 posts, read 11,980 times
what is the difference between a realist and racist?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,984,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCake View Post
??????

Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCake View Post
this should be interesting

Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Everyone's a realist - just ask them.

No one's a racist - just ask them.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM

I felt few cops as racist and in particular the senior cop who was taking a note of all the details. He made me sit for almost 3 hrs and I was asked the same questions almost 20 times, it was about 12:30 in the night and I just asked him politely 'Sir, May I know how long its going to take'. He got mad at me for that and said 'Dont ask me that, I get very mad if someone asks, U called the police and u have to wait, did we say u to call us'. I was shocked at his reply, he and a couple of other cops were talking very friendly to the parents of the kids, they were assuring them everything is going to be fine. After giving the statement and coming out of that room I heard him saying these people come here and complain as if they came from a country which is like a heaven. But, I wouldn't say all the cops are like that, I would say out of the 10 cops I talked to on that day, two of them were very nice and polite.

So, finally I would say not all the cops are bad, but the majority of the cops behaviour depends on your skin colour which is a sad fact.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_user1981 View Post
So, finally I would say not all the cops are bad, but the majority of the cops behaviour depends on your skin colour which is a sad fact.
And I would say its got nothing to do with your skin color, and more to do with the behavior of the not-so-silent majority of cops. Many, many, many of them suck.

Which sucks in itself, as it gives a bad name to the few who don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey