Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 PM

792 posts, read 3,138,049 times

Advertisements

In the past it seems the cops have been more lenient/forgiving BUT times have now changed.

State trooper stops many years ago - GSP 79/55 and NJTPKE 69/55. The former let me go and the latter just gave me a no-seatbelter (I had it on).

Local police (traffic courts) many years ago - had one in Hoboken dismissed due to a 'no-show' and had a 56/40 on RT23 in CG dropped to USD (From 4 to 0 points, but 2x fee).

Recently with a no-turn-on-red in Bergen Co. I opted for USD plea, 3 to 0 points, but 3x+ fee. Ouch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 04:02 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
cops used to extend a common courtsey to residents of the town they reside. They only care about the money!! Real crime they could care less. Old fashion detective work, no way, unless your a CI and doing all the work for them , they bust the soccor moms for speeding! I gave a good tip, and I mean good tip to cops and they still have not done squat! These are drug dealers and they had all the info they wanted but no CI, so do you think they would do some old fashion surveillance , too difficult to sit and watch!! Its pathetic. Common courtsey for good citizens of the towns you pay their salary , they could care less. Jar heads!!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 AM

I used to respect cops but now they get all there info. thur CI and rats,any real work come on, if I go and make the buys for these bastards then they will act but god for bid they do their job. God for bid they sit and follow and watch, NO they need a CI to get any work done. They would rather risk my ass then do any real police work. This is a fact. Its too hard to do the job their paid for.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Anyone (or anyone u know) been stopped while driving/talking on cell?

If so did the officer do the following:
1. Let you off the hook 100%
2. Reduce violation to lesser charge (i.e. no seatbelt for about $46)
3. Give you the full ticket (for about $130)
4. Other

I got hit w/#3 and in my own hometown to boot. Cop had no leniency at all. I mean as a resident I pay their outrageous salary/pension/perks and you'd think he'd drop it to #2 for a resident. The way it all went down I had no time to "name drop" at all. I could have maybe tried to talk my way out but cop was on a mission it seemed.

For anyone who got hit w/#3 have you tried to go to traffic court and fight it?

Feedback, comments?
Lets assume this was not your first time talking on your phone. You got caught why would you fight it. Drivers on cell phones cause accidents. A person was just convicted for killing a 7 year old kid in Toms River because he WAS TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING. He received 7 years in jail and the family is without their 7 year daughter because some person was talking on the cell phone.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:56 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Its a money racket. The only "leniency" comes when they trade a 2 or 4 pt ticket for a 0 pt ticket that has a higher fine.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I used to respect cops but now they get all there info. thur CI and rats,any real work come on, if I go and make the buys for these bastards then they will act but god for bid they do their job. God for bid they sit and follow and watch, NO they need a CI to get any work done. They would rather risk my ass then do any real police work. This is a fact. Its too hard to do the job their paid for.
follow up there not all bad, just some like anyone in the world, some good, some bad.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 AM

its funny when I am really made up, make up hair and so on, I always get out of the ticket provided its a male cop, but if I roll out of bed and in sweat pants and a mess, sure enough Im getting that ticket!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:18 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
its funny when I am really made up, make up hair and so on, I always get out of the ticket provided its a male cop, but if I roll out of bed and in sweat pants and a mess, sure enough Im getting that ticket!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the moral of the story is to pretty yourself up. If I pull over a car and the young lady has cleevage(sp) IN PLAIN VIEW she gets a pass.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I think the moral of the story is to pretty yourself up. If I pull over a car and the young lady has cleevage(sp) IN PLAIN VIEW she gets a pass.
that does not always work, I have a friend 280 lbs, doesnt matter what she shows, she gets the ticket! I can tell you I have been getting out of alot of tickets by the looks card. Its getting harder now that I am getting old. I better slow down once I reach over 50, dont think that will help with the young ones anymore. Still can get by now, but soon its all over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:26 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,014 times
You know, all kidding aside, I've been pulled ova many times for many different reasons and I must admit that MOST cops, if you don't BS them or give them attitude they'll be polite and give you a break. Just last week, I got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt on 80, the cop asked me for my documentation and I didn't realize that my registration had expired. New law says that you can't have an unregistered vehicle on the road and since he had called in my plates it came back unregistered so they had to take my truck. The cop kept apologizing because his original intention was to give me a warning about not wearing a seatbelt but he had no other choice to take my truck. I told him not to sweat it, that I understood it and that it was my responsibility to had my registration up to date. We shook hands and went our seperate ways. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey