Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:48 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
The houses are too close together here, as a general rule, and the traffic is unbearable.
*shudder*

One of my coworkers, who doesn't have any clue about NJ or real suburban life, likes to make fun of NJ whenever he can. One day he said (talking about something random) "But I never use the side door anyway".

Me: "Why not?"

Him: "Because its only like 3 feet from the neighbors house, so I cant get stuff in and out of that door".

I've got like 20 feet between the side of my house and the side of my neighbors....

Yup, such "suburban" life out there on LI.... atleast you're getting out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 02:05 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
The houses are too close together here, as a general rule, and the traffic is unbearable.
*shudder*

One of my coworkers, who doesn't have any clue about NJ or real suburban life, likes to make fun of NJ whenever he can. One day he said (talking about something random) "But I never use the side door anyway".

Me: "Why not?"

Him: "Because its only like 3 feet from the neighbors house, so I cant get stuff in and out of that door".

I've got like 20 feet between the side of my house and the side of my neighbors....

Yup, such "suburban" life out there on LI.... atleast you're getting out

Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,164,268 times
I would say that generally the north shore is more "sprawled out" than the south shore - but that's not really saying much. the places where the houses are slightly further apart are also a lot more cost prohibitive to get into. I'm renting the first floor of a house right now - and we have a pretty large back yard, and a lot of space between neighbors. But by the same token, there is no way I could afford to buy in this neighborhood.

NJ gives me a better bang for my buck. And not to mention, I like the fact that where I'm moving to will let me go to a farm stand not too far away to buy fresh fruits and veggies.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:11 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
OK, so for my whole life, I always defended NJ to naysayers from out of state who have no idea what they're talking about.
This is all fine and good, and I agree with you. People judge NJ too quickly based on dumb stereotypes.

Now, when you drive through other states (for example, rural parts of PA), do you find yourself criticizing everyone who is not a NJ native? For example, "Oh, these people are 'different,' 'slow-moving,' 'uncultured,' etc? I find it funny that people stereotype and label PA people as one way or another, as if a state such as PA, with all it's demographic and geographic diversity, can be labeled.

So, while I agree with you, I think many in NJ are guilty of this same thing to people in other states. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
This is all fine and good, and I agree with you. People judge NJ too quickly based on dumb stereotypes.

Now, when you drive through other states (for example, rural parts of PA), do you find yourself criticizing everyone who is not a NJ native? For example, "Oh, these people are 'different,' 'slow-moving,' 'uncultured,' etc? I find it funny that people stereotype and label PA people as one way or another, as if a state such as PA, with all it's demographic and geographic diversity, can be labeled.

So, while I agree with you, I think many in NJ are guilty of this same thing to people in other states. Wouldn't you agree?
That could be true, but NJ gets it the worst, IMO, by FAR.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:25 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post

I don't know about anyone else here, but I completely agree with you. But it's not limited to NJ comparing to PA, it's the entire country. It's city vs suburban/rural, and suburban vs rural. It goes back to the observation made before: someone is going to be most likely comfortable with what they were brought up with. They are exposed to another culture, and it is inevitable within human nature for one to cast dispersions onto that different lifestyle. It's not synonymous with New Jerseyans. I've mentioned before, that people in Maine for instance, have a nickname for people who hail from the Bay State: they call them "M*******s". In many parts of New Mexico, people have a built-in dislike for "California interlopers". In fact, the anti-California sentiment in the West is palpable. The lifestyle is frowned upon, most definitely in places I've been here, namely, rural Colorado, rural Oregon, even suburban Portland. I'm not as keen about the midwest, but I am sure there are people in Northern Indiana and in Wisconsin that have a built in anti-Chicago bias. It probably happens in every region of the country, in one flavor or another.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
That could be true, but NJ gets it the worst, IMO, by FAR.
I agree; NJ gets it the worst.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:39 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
I could excuse the oregonian but a Long Islander has no business trashing anything. LOL

Old 11-19-2008, 07:43 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
I moved to Jersey when i was 13 from the Bronx. I unfortunately don't live there now, i relocated to Pa. Jersey is my home, i love it there, there is nothing like it. It's also beautiful, people have no clue what they are talking about when they call it a wasteland. I lived in Morris County and it's got some great scenery. I live in Scranton, Pa now, talk about a wasteland!!!!!!! Jersey Rocks!! Always has, always will.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 16,309 times
LOL! Wow this is the debate between my husband and I almost daily... well not every day, but a lot! I am from Orange County CA and my hubby is a NJ native. Well when I moved out here on a whim, my family, especially my dad, FLIPPED out! Not until recently have they all either accepted or pretended to accept that I live in NJ. I do get homesick though..and there is NO PLACE in NJ that compares to Laguna Beach, Fashion Island in Newport Beach, and my lovely hometown Yorba Linda (yes the area that had the fires few months back). Anyway, I have been here almost 2 1/2 years now and I am still getting used to the "jug" handles, the indian population (insane) and peoples attitudes. Like why are people so hesitant to be cordial and say God bless you if you sneeze in the store. I said it to someone and she just looked at me. Not even thanked me. I was like Ok whatever.. I am used to hanging out @ Starbucks on the weekends or after work, sipping a latte in the warm sunnshine.. havent been able to do that here. There is an alarming shortage of cute Starbucks here. D & D everywhere... Ok maybe I may sound like I am bashing NJ, I am really not. It's just that I also want to understand why people who do not live in NJ hate it so much. One great thing is there are a ton of outdoor adventures to be had, pretty rivers and lakes. And driving to upstate NY is a great roadtrip...and then Canada is like right there, which is cool to venture to too. So NJ does get a bad wrap...and people just need to be open and not jump on the band wagon of anti NJians. Yes I was miserably homesick when I first moved here...but its not so bad now. It's not beautiful Orange County Ca, but its really not as bad as people think. Although where did ALL of these indian people come from and why are there SO many? The majority of have an inaccurate superiority complex, are very rude, and smell like bad! Ewww. But then I have net some pretty cool ones too... But I was just wondering...woW! So many of'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey