Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Are you serious with this post? LOL. This makes me really love that I live in NJ. You are the antithesis of class...

FYI, the only area of NJ that really has a high population of Indian-Americans is the Edison-Woodbridge area. If it bothers you so much, I'd suggest that you move to a different area of NJ...there are many beautiful areas here.
Go to the intersection of Littleton Road and Parsippany Blvd, in Parsippany. You'll think you are in Mumbai.

For the record, I had no issue with the Indian population when I lived in NJ. I considered them to be very hard working, prosperous citizens. I'd say about 30% of my customer base were Indian Americans. They were mostly positive people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,164,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
Because the only part of NJ they see is catching a taxi from Newark airport to Manhattan. i.e. they see what is basically an industrial wasteland, resembling the average nuclear wasteland from a movie. And of course tell everyone they know.
And the other view they get is when they drive down the turnpike to get to other states. So it's a skewed view of the state.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
Don't laugh, but when I would come home from my business trips to Southern California I would gaze out the window from my taxi ride from Newark to Manhattan and think how charming our industrial wasteland was compared to what I saw in So CA--shuttered broken down cheap stucco buildings in the middle of busy intersections and looping roadways. You could tell they had been open for about fifteen minutes before pooping out. Just depressing.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Go to the intersection of Littleton Road and Parsippany Blvd, in Parsippany. You'll think you are in Mumbai.

For the record, I had no issue with the Indian population when I lived in NJ. I considered them to be very hard working, prosperous citizens. I'd say about 30% of my customer base were Indian Americans. They were mostly positive people.
That's right, forgot Parsippany.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:21 AM

71 posts, read 276,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgal View Post
LOL! Wow this is the debate between my husband and I almost daily... well not every day, but a lot! I am from Orange County CA and my hubby is a NJ native. Well when I moved out here on a whim, my family, especially my dad, FLIPPED out! Not until recently have they all either accepted or pretended to accept that I live in NJ. I do get homesick though..and there is NO PLACE in NJ that compares to Laguna Beach, Fashion Island in Newport Beach, and my lovely hometown Yorba Linda (yes the area that had the fires few months back). Anyway, I have been here almost 2 1/2 years now and I am still getting used to the "jug" handles, the indian population (insane) and peoples attitudes. Like why are people so hesitant to be cordial and say God bless you if you sneeze in the store. I said it to someone and she just looked at me. Not even thanked me. I was like Ok whatever.. I am used to hanging out @ Starbucks on the weekends or after work, sipping a latte in the warm sunnshine.. havent been able to do that here. There is an alarming shortage of cute Starbucks here. D & D everywhere... Ok maybe I may sound like I am bashing NJ, I am really not. It's just that I also want to understand why people who do not live in NJ hate it so much. One great thing is there are a ton of outdoor adventures to be had, pretty rivers and lakes. And driving to upstate NY is a great roadtrip...and then Canada is like right there, which is cool to venture to too. So NJ does get a bad wrap...and people just need to be open and not jump on the band wagon of anti NJians. Yes I was miserably homesick when I first moved here...but its not so bad now. It's not beautiful Orange County Ca, but its really not as bad as people think. Although where did ALL of these indian people come from and why are there SO many? The majority of have an inaccurate superiority complex, are very rude, and smell like bad! Ewww. But then I have net some pretty cool ones too... But I was just wondering...woW! So many of'em!
Oh, man. Just so the rest of you know, not everybody from Orange County is like this.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf17 View Post
Oh, man. Just so the rest of you know, not everybody from Orange County is like this.
It's ok. As long as those from Orange County don't judge us from NJ as one in the same of the stereotypes....

Old 02-02-2009, 12:40 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgal View Post
LOL! Wow this is the debate between my husband and I almost daily... well not every day, but a lot! I am from Orange County CA and my hubby is a NJ native. Well when I moved out here on a whim, my family, especially my dad, FLIPPED out! Not until recently have they all either accepted or pretended to accept that I live in NJ. I do get homesick though..and there is NO PLACE in NJ that compares to Laguna Beach, Fashion Island in Newport Beach, and my lovely hometown Yorba Linda (yes the area that had the fires few months back). Anyway, I have been here almost 2 1/2 years now and I am still getting used to the "jug" handles, the indian population (insane) and peoples attitudes. Like why are people so hesitant to be cordial and say God bless you if you sneeze in the store. I said it to someone and she just looked at me. Not even thanked me. I was like Ok whatever.. I am used to hanging out @ Starbucks on the weekends or after work, sipping a latte in the warm sunnshine.. havent been able to do that here. There is an alarming shortage of cute Starbucks here. D & D everywhere... Ok maybe I may sound like I am bashing NJ, I am really not. It's just that I also want to understand why people who do not live in NJ hate it so much. One great thing is there are a ton of outdoor adventures to be had, pretty rivers and lakes. And driving to upstate NY is a great roadtrip...and then Canada is like right there, which is cool to venture to too. So NJ does get a bad wrap...and people just need to be open and not jump on the band wagon of anti NJians. Yes I was miserably homesick when I first moved here...but its not so bad now. It's not beautiful Orange County Ca, but its really not as bad as people think. Although where did ALL of these indian people come from and why are there SO many? The majority of have an inaccurate superiority complex, are very rude, and smell like bad! Ewww. But then I have net some pretty cool ones too... But I was just wondering...woW! So many of'em!
Are you serious!!! OMG go back to cali

Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
Because the only part of NJ they see is catching a taxi from Newark airport to Manhattan. i.e. they see what is basically an industrial wasteland, resembling the average nuclear wasteland from a movie. And of course tell everyone they know.

OK.....lets analyze that just a bit.......we can't change the industrial picture but how about the areas they travel through......they are filthy......rundown.....trash stewn.....crime ridden.....that gives the picture that the people who live here just don't care.....they must be content to live in squalor because no one does anything aout it ? We can't change the location of the airports but we can change the area around them.....but no one does. Whos fault is that ? We have a bad image because the image is BAD !!! Unless we're willing to change that image what right does anyone here have to whine about it ? We've earned that image.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
OK.....lets analyze that just a bit.......we can't change the industrial picture but how about the areas they travel through......they are filthy......rundown.....trash stewn.....crime ridden.....that gives the picture that the people who live here just don't care.....they must be content to live in squalor because no one does anything aout it ? We can't change the location of the airports but we can change the area around them.....but no one does. Whos fault is that ? We have a bad image because the image is BAD !!! Unless we're willing to change that image what right does anyone here have to whine about it ? We've earned that image.
Yet people still come, we get more traffic, more sprawl, more students, and higher property taxes...if it's so bad why don't they stay away!?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:53 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
We've earned that image.
That particular area, sure. But the entire state? Nah.
Every state has industrial centers. They just don't have them right next to one of the most traveled roadways in the nation. It was a planning flaw. Simple as that.
Your tough love approach is misguided in this instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey