Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:24 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Nashville is amazing.....as a little, "big city wannabe!"
I don't think Nashville aspires to be a "big city". I think it just aspires to be the unique wonderful city that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 11:42 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
I understand about rocket science but this is not something that will change with a particular candidate in one election cycle. I don't have the answers and I have always lived in high cost areas.

My experience living in NC was as a kid and I ran as fast as I could to leave it. I have never contributed to the tax base there. I've said before that corruption has many different faces. It's almost 2009 and it's not just about old school and "da boys". Coming on here talking about clown rape offers no insight whatsoever.

I don't base where I live on the cheapness factor but I am at the life stage where I have to be realistic. My options are somewhat limited. I know some people who actually work (unpaid) to change things but they are knowledgeable enough to know that their impact is limited.
Most people really don't know where all that tax money goes. Really smart people will question what they are told in that regard- even those who think they are expert.

The amount of money people are paying now is almost criminal. ( in NJ especially and a few other states). Can we start sending people to jail? This system of government will not allow that to happen. NY, NJ, and the new england states have an antique form of government. The people who are profiting won't go anywhere, muchless jail which is where some of them belong. But the entire system would have to be changed.
It is not just about a few boys or girls for that matter.
Someone is watching too many old movies.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:18 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Tell that to some of the Obama-philes.

What's going on in New Jersey isn't rocket science. I dug up an article dated Oct of 07, but the point is pretty clear:

New Jerseyans are fleeing state faster - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com

Had the nation's economy been in better condition, who knows how big the number for 2008 could have been.

And to those economists who aren't sure as to why there was an exodus, stating the possibility that people are also more mobile these days, I'd love to see a poll of those who left and why they left. I'd bet anything that the overwhelming majority would put the blame squarely on the property tax/cost of living burden.
I bet some left because their company moved south. I know a lot of companies are being offered big tax write-offs to move here. So there is always someone moving here on a relocation.
Our Governor tries to attract big business. It creates Jobs and Revenue.
Diane G

Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 AM

70 posts, read 195,570 times
I lived in Northern NJ for 44 of my 45 years. Having spent the past 6 months outside of Charlotte, the only thing I miss is the Sussex county scenery.
We have found the cost of living pretty much the same with the big exception of property tax, leaving NJ in effect gave us a $6000 a year raise with a far nicer house and neighborhood than we came from in NJ. Not surprisingly, most of our neighbors are damn yankees.
We have also found the Union County NC schools superior acedemically than the NJ school district we came from.
Looking to the future, I knew that I would never be able to afford to retire in NJ. We also didn't have any family to leave behind in NJ or employment issues, so perhaps that made it easier on us than others.
No place is a paradise, it is what you make of it.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:02 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
We moved to San Diego in October after living in NJ for over 20 years. Don't miss a thing about it! The weather here is amazing (has been in the high 70s/low 80s since we got here), and the culture is just so much better. People are actually outside all the time, walking their dogs, jogging, doing whatever. In NJ, it was rare to see anyone out, especially at the end of November. We will never move back to the East Coast and have met many Jersey transplants around here that feel the exact same way. We live a couple of miles from La Jolla Shores, which is one of the top rated beaches in the US. Where else can you wear shorts in November and take your dog to the beach for some playtime? I love CA!

Old 11-29-2008, 01:38 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I bet some left because their company moved south. I know a lot of companies are being offered big tax write-offs to move here. So there is always someone moving here on a relocation.
Our Governor tries to attract big business. It creates Jobs and Revenue.
Diane G
And don't forget that North Carolina is very corporate friendly in regards to worker/employee rights. Companies down here can do just about anything they want and employees don't have much recourse or much in the way of state laws protecting them.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
That is true but remember less regulation less taxation. That is what people want along with a lower cost of living. You are making tradeoffs.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:45 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I grew up in Cherry Hill age 4-18. I felt very affiliated with downtown Philly as soon as I could get on a bus and when they built the train.
I think the poster who said people who "never look back" likely come from difficult family situations. I always thought there was, well, just something *wrong* with south Jersey, without realizing there was a lot wrong in the household I grew up in.
That said, I hated the development there, even as a child, although of course my subdivision and post-war first-generation parents were part of the problem. Every woods, every farm, every anything that existed before 1956 seem to vanish with each passing year. The commercial development along the main roads is ghastly and ugly.

On the other hand, in more recent years, the population has become much more diverse. I recently met a young Korean-American doctor who graduated my high school in 1995 and said, "Our Korean Club had 40 kids, and all the National Merit scholars were Asian." A far cry from the Jewish/Catholic/mostly white 1950s and 1960s. For a while, you could still see the remants of the old black communities- segregated in fact if not by law- little old houses, a church, unpaved roads. All gone for a subdivision named after something that was mowed over- "Pine Crest of Woods Acres" or some such.
Also on the plus side, the area is completely urbane now. All sorts of restaurants, interest in arts, and not strictly centered on Philadelphia for cultural life as before.
That said, the few times I go back, my skin crawls. Don't know if it's the family thing or the monstrous overdevelopment, but I wouldn't live there again with a large weapon at my head. I suppose it's a good place to raise children. Very good schools, low crime. And housing looks reasonable (at least to these Massachusetts eyes).

Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
Default withdrawal no food like N.J. out here, Cinn,Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
There are certain things I like about NJ (specifically Bergen County). I've read some stories on here about people leaving the Garden State to find themselves missing the pizza, bagels, shore, etc, and rightfully so.

Just curious to hear from anyone who are the opposite and identify leaving NJ as one of the best things they did, and never looked back. Where did you move to, and what is it you like about your location now, and what don't you miss? Thanks.
I left N.j. the Union city area in 96 and I miss the food big time, I'm thinking about going back to plant a church, not sure yet, but I do miss the pizza esp. Benny's Pizza in Hoboken and the shore Seaside-Wildwood, I'm going through wthdrawals it will be 12yrs in Dec/24, oh the cuban food as well perhaps some h.S football games on a friday night.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
And don't forget that North Carolina is very corporate friendly in regards to worker/employee rights. Companies down here can do just about anything they want and employees don't have much recourse or much in the way of state laws protecting them.
True but that's not the main reason as to why companies in New Jersey flee all points south or west. States like New Jersey have been very unfriendly in regards to businesses for years. The cost to operate a business in the state has forced enough of them out. Corzine's signing into law allowing businesses to carry forward operating losses for 20 years, up from the original seven, is most likely going to wind up being a token campaign ploy. Businesses are going to continue leaving New Jersey to places like North Carolina or Pennsylvania not because of it being a "right to work" state (I don't believe Pennsylvania is) but the cost burden no longer makes it feasible for them to stay, especially in this economy.

The states that are more corporate friendly are going to be the ones that thrive on the revenue and contributions those businesses bring to the city and state they reside in. Put up one big company and watch other companies pop up around it, whether they be fast food places, dry cleaning places, etc.. Make it corporate friendly and watch your state economy grow. Drive it away and you might wind up like Michigan. Or like New Jersey and watch them dive right into your pocket in an attempt to avoid making the cuts they should be making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey