Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,969 times

Advertisements

The city of Orange NJ has new street lights that are very bright. This is another step in making this city safer. Were very thankful for the lights, being able to see those once dark areas. THANK YOU ORANGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 12:04 AM

286 posts, read 851,058 times
I lived in Orange for 2 years and I am Asian. It is not a good town. The library is terrible and I used West Orange's library. My street was working class with a nice church but I can see a lot of crappy homes nearby and a few abandoned buildings. I wouldn't want to raise my family there.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by people 4 change View Post
The city of Orange NJ has new street lights that are very bright. This is another step in making this city safer. Were very thankful for the lights, being able to see those once dark areas. THANK YOU ORANGE.
Is this going to really put a dent in crime rates? Bright light bulbs?
I like the fact that you have hope in Orange, because it has definitely improved over the last few years, but the schools/gangs/poverty rates in the city is just plain depressing.
The housing value is WAY below NJ state average, and the property taxes in Orange will turn your stomach- and why would anyone pay such ridiculous taxes in shabby Orange? (no offense)
Any kind of productive change will have to be followed up by even more productive change to have middle-class families to even consider Orange.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,481 times
i'm pretty sure the stats below speak for themselves.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,007 times
I'm still wondering why the OP hasn't moved there.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:44 AM

98 posts, read 268,999 times
I'm white, and NO I would not want to live in Orange. We're all at our keyboards playing nice-nice because we can choose what we want to post. If I were to say to anyone "I'm buying a house in Orange" I'd get the glassy-eye "Oh my God" look. That's the way it is. I really don't care to live above a chicken 'n rib shack or a nail salon while the hood rats hang out on the street corners all hours of the night. If white people "embrace" the multiculturalism of Orange, then why aren't there any whites in Orange High School? Why don't I see whites living in the area of Scotland Road? People, it was called WHITE FLIGHT and that's what happened in Orange, East Orange, and Irvington. The whites noticed the "bad element" was moving in, and then they, in turn, ran for the suburbs. It's just the way it is. You can sugar coat it or deny it all you want, but I wouldn't live in that town on a dare.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,527 times
I wonder who lives in the 7 Oaks section nowadays.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
A white person can certainly walk through Orange in the daytime and have no one hassle them; it's not Camden. That's a lot different than living there, though.

As for a "buffer", there's no real buffer between Orange and South Orange; you just drive along some of the streets and watch it go from wealth to poverty in three houses. The blight stops at the border, for whatever reason.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 PM

4,416 posts, read 5,149,807 times
Just the name of this Town makes it appealing. Anyways, in 2010 more than half of all babies born in the United States where non-white. If it weren't a poor town, I would consider moving there.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
A white person can certainly walk through Orange in the daytime and have no one hassle them; it's not Camden. That's a lot different than living there, though.

As for a "buffer", there's no real buffer between Orange and South Orange; you just drive along some of the streets and watch it go from wealth to poverty in three houses. The blight stops at the border, for whatever reason.
You can see the change over from the train , from Harrison - Newark - East Orange - Orange - South Orange - Maplewood....its not that big a change and happens slowly. The Oranges seem to be trying to approve , while Orange and East Orange are cleaning up there cities , West Orange and South Orange are trying to attract that young commuter crowd. South Orange is doing better then West Orange in that dept , East Orange has started to get that crowd around the Brick Church section... I think by 2030 all the Oranges will be the same in terms of a stable Middle Class section with South Orange , Orange and East Orange leading for certain reasons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey