Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,183 times

Advertisements

I even did the Ikea commercial on the way to the car... the one where the woman heads out the door yelling to her hubby to "start the car, start the car" as she thought the teller rang up her order incorrectly.

I love that one too-I feel that way sometimes leaving a yardsale!!

I'm glad you're pleased with Aldi- when my kids moved out I told them to make sure one was close wherever they go-I'm always curious about people who say they "stock up" with 50 toothpastes, shampoo, a freezer full of meat, etc? are you exaggerating or are you serious? doesn't it go bad? don't you know it will be on sale again in a few weeks and you can get more? I've never really understood that whole business- I'd rather have the Store keep it for me till I need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 06:19 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I even did the Ikea commercial on the way to the car... the one where the woman heads out the door yelling to her hubby to "start the car, start the car" as she thought the teller rang up her order incorrectly.

I love that one too-I feel that way sometimes leaving a yardsale!!

I'm glad you're pleased with Aldi- when my kids moved out I told them to make sure one was close wherever they go-I'm always curious about people who say they "stock up" with 50 toothpastes, shampoo, a freezer full of meat, etc? are you exaggerating or are you serious? doesn't it go bad? don't you know it will be on sale again in a few weeks and you can get more? I've never really understood that whole business- I'd rather have the Store keep it for me till I need it.
I'm not a stocker either... To me that's wasted emergency funds - like you said, sales are on all the time so why not let the store take up it's storage space

Old 02-16-2009, 06:25 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I'm not a stocker either... To me that's wasted emergency funds - like you said, sales are on all the time so why not let the store take up it's storage space
I could only see people who live in rural areas stock up if they can't get to a store frequently. I used to stock up on food and then they went bad because I would either forget what I have or just not see it in all the mess. Now I just go to the supermarket every 3 days and get what I need.

A couple of months ago I had bought some flour and then decided to use it last month. To my surprise, the whole bag was crawling with bugs...disgusting. I make sure to buy fresh flour now if I want to bake

Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
-I'm always curious about people who say they "stock up" with 50 toothpastes, shampoo, a freezer full of meat, etc? are you exaggerating or are you serious? doesn't it go bad? don't you know it will be on sale again in a few weeks and you can get more? I've never really understood that whole business- I'd rather have the Store keep it for me till I need it.
I know we use a certain number of toothpaste every few months. Buying 2 4packs from BJ's won't last us long. Same thing with meat. I have a 2nd fridge in the garage that has a nice sized freezer, the bottom drawer is filled with meat. When I say filled I mean 4 steaks, a few 1 & 2 pound packs of burg meat, various packs of chicken, all separated for meals. We use it.

With steak, if I find it at a decent price the angus cut we like, I will buy a lot. Steak doesn't go on sale as often as it used to.

I cant food shop a lot due to my back so when I have help I get whatever I can.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 AM

79 posts, read 267,982 times
Woow, that's much money. My wife & me spend 300.00 per month.
Avoid buying stuff you don't need. Look for offers & avoid buying name brands. Usually is the same product than the cheap option.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 AM

197 posts, read 798,636 times
Spend between $80-$120 a week.

I find...

Usually buy what we need, not a fan of
Sams Club, I'm convinced that with these bulk stores you buy more because it's cheaper, but end up consuming more in the long run, plus all of our meals are cooked from scratch, don't eat boxed pre-made food (more expensive)

Usually buy boneless meats (chicken & pork), shrimp...etc for dinner, quicker than bone in which takes forever to cook. Alot of stove top meals, quicker on weeknights (stir-frys, scampis)

Buy produce at an inexpensive market and rest of gorceries at one of the major food stores.

Try to avoid buying junk food, like to gorge sometime after work before dinner, just started cutting up carrots, broccoli or cauliflower and dip in Paul Neumanns Ceasar dressing, rather than eating chips, crackers etc...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
Spend between $80-$120 a week.

I find...

Usually buy what we need, not a fan of
Sams Club, I'm convinced that with these bulk stores you buy more because it's cheaper, but end up consuming more in the long run, plus all of our meals are cooked from scratch, don't eat boxed pre-made food (more expensive)

Usually buy boneless meats (chicken & pork), shrimp...etc for dinner, quicker than bone in which takes forever to cook. Alot of stove top meals, quicker on weeknights (stir-frys, scampis)

Buy produce at an inexpensive market and rest of gorceries at one of the major food stores.

Try to avoid buying junk food, like to gorge sometime after work before dinner, just started cutting up carrots, broccoli or cauliflower and dip in Paul Neumanns Ceasar dressing, rather than eating chips, crackers etc...
What? Give up munching on my Milky Way while my lean cuisine is cooking in the microwave?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
re: toothpaste and shampoo - i can't resist FREE stuff, LOL

Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
re: toothpaste and shampoo - i can't resist FREE stuff, LOL
LOL..."confessions of a self proclaimed hoarder"?

Last edited by wileynj; 02-16-2009 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM

72 posts, read 309,209 times
Quote:
-I'm always curious about people who say they "stock up" with 50 toothpastes, shampoo, a freezer full of meat, etc? are you exaggerating or are you serious? doesn't it go bad? don't you know it will be on sale again in a few weeks and you can get more? I've never really understood that whole business- I'd rather have the Store keep it for me till I need it.
I confess to being one of the ones with a freezer full of meat. Lately, it seems like food prices are higher almost every week. I feel like I'm saving my family money if I stock up today rather than waiting until next month to buy that chicken or shampoo especially if it's on sale or I have a coupon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey