Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonD View Post
My husband and I were shocked when we added everything up and it was 550.00--not including restaurants. This does include detergent and paper goods.

I am not disciplined enough to cut coupons, and often coupons are for pre packaged items. We usually buy alot of fresh produce, nuts, cereals.

This is SO high!

We don't even buy meat-this is all produce.
Ours is about the same, for two adults and a kid -- but that includes all the detergent, paper goods, and household cleaning items as well. And we rarely eat out, so it pretty much covers all of the food for the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,603,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Nice! Is that at all lowes?...you should watch for the conair sale in hightstown (I could be wrong about the town...) I got that cuisinart 2 cup travel mug coffee maker for $15.
It was at the Lowes out by me but it's a clearance item so I'm sure all who have any in stock will be selling them for that price. I have a bosch Tassimo at the moment and it's costing me a fortune for those little disposable cartridges. I'm switching back to a real maker in hopes of saving a few bucks on coffee.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
well my monthly food bill is high. First off I love too cook and take great pleasure in doing it. Next, I do shop at whole foods not for everything but I do and add to it the market basket and or a kings and yes I have a high food bill. Add to it organic and its even more. However I do not have kids and dress like a slob so for me it balances out. I can not wait until the FAIRWAY opens in Paramus!! This will be an experience. I do also take a trip to the bridgewater Wegmans. I must say something you learn are worth more money and some are a complete waste. Its trial and error. I would not buy everything in a whole foods but certain things. Like I would not buy everything in a Shoprite. Overall its a high bill but worth it I have made some of the most excellent cooked meals, and I am not experimenting with Julia Childs French cook books and boy Im having a blast. Now off to the furniture store.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
For the two of us around $260.00 a month. We clip coupons, shop when sales are on and don't buy stuff we really don't need.

that's like $65 per week That amouts to dog food, cat food & cat litter etc for me..dang no wonder so many pets are ending up in a shelter

Anywhere from $125-175 but we brown bag breakfast & lunch

Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Just over the border in PA plus they just built one in Rockaway. They are the "walmart" of grocery stores
Where in Rockaway?? What are they like?? Are they a fully stocked grocer like Shop rite

Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
I'm not going to say what everyone doesn't already know, but with a little time committment, you can save a lot on groceries. Our family of 4 averages about $95/week. I keep track of how much we spend and I average about 35% savings each week over the year.

Stock up on sale items. If GG veggies are $1/box, get 10 or more. If English Muffins are $1.99/12 pack, buy a few and throw them in the freezer. I drink Diet Snapple and 12 packs are on sale every 5 weeks or so (about 1/2 price), and I buy 4 at a time and will actually go back one or two more days to get more. Stock up on hamburger meat and chicken when it's 1/2 price. Sales usually rotate every 5-6 weeks, so if something's on sale, you can be sure it'll be on sale again in about 1.5 months. Obviously this assumes you have room.

Make a weekly menu! This will save a TON of money. Only buy what you need, and plan your menu around sales. I almost always make enough for 2 nights, and even sometimes make more and freeze it. Not only do you save money, you'll eat better b/c you won't waste time trying to figure out what to eat only to say "F*** it, let me heat up a Hot Pocket.". Get a crockpot and USE it!!!

I shop at A&P and find it cheaper, believe it or not, than Shop Wrong. A&P has much better sales, and since I shop sales, it ends up being less expensive. Plus, it's a nicer store (at least here). I don't like Weis' selection. I don't have Wegman's (I almost thank God for that!) nor an Aldi near me.

Try to use up any leftovers you have. Bananas going bad? Throw them in the freezer and make a loaf of banana bread. Stuff like that.

I do The Grocery Game. I get a weekly list that pairs items up with coupons and lets you know rock bottom prices.

Take advantage of Triple Coupons.

This doesn't take me long, I do it while sitting watching TV, but we probably save $50/week.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 AM

27 posts, read 84,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
that's like $65 per week That amouts to dog food, cat food & cat litter etc for me..dang no wonder so many pets are ending up in a shelter

Anywhere from $125-175 but we brown bag breakfast & lunch

You know-I hear vet after vet say never give table food to dogs and I think that is just hooey. We save on dog food by giving them leftovers. We don't give them rich fatty things or cheese, just vegetables, potatoes, left over rice, salads,etc. The dogs are not overweight and are very healthy. I mix a little wet commercial dog food over rice, potatoes, or pasta.

Why is dried dog food touted as so much better? It is made with the same ingredients. What did people feed their dogs 100 years ago?

Any way I can to save on the dog food I will.

We need to rein in the food budget. The killers are:

Chips
Cookies
Olives
breakfast cereals--very expensive
designer breads
Any packaged food

Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,858,634 times
My wife and i budget about 400 a month for food, including eating out, and we usually spend all of it and a little more. we only eat out a few times a month, and that is usually chipotle ($15 for 2) i tried to make bread as much as possible. a huge loaf of bread homemade is like...1 dollar - store is usually at least 3 bucks. we buy almost all organic food and it is definitely pricey. $6/gallon of milk. i was seriously trying to find out if we could get a cow or even chickens but I don't think the town allows it hehe

we see a huge discrepancy of prices between stores. one thing that is ALWAYS $3.99 is $5.99 at the other store, for example.

OJ is another pricey one, at the rate we go through it.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonD View Post
You know-I hear vet after vet say never give table food to dogs and I think that is just hooey. We save on dog food by giving them leftovers. We don't give them rich fatty things or cheese, just vegetables, potatoes, left over rice, salads,etc. The dogs are not overweight and are very healthy. I mix a little wet commercial dog food over rice, potatoes, or pasta.

Why is dried dog food touted as so much better? It is made with the same ingredients. What did people feed their dogs 100 years ago?

Any way I can to save on the dog food I will.

We need to rein in the food budget. The killers are:

Chips
Cookies
Olives
breakfast cereals--very expensive
designer breads
Any packaged food

i don't like olives, but all my olive loving family swears Santa Barbara are the best. We get them in Sam's Club - HUGE jar for ~$7. A jar 1/4 the size in A&P is about $5.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 AM

45 posts, read 126,009 times
buy store brands (in most cases they're exactly the same as brand names), buy large sizes of things that won't go bad, and-- this is obvious-- get the store savings card for every supermarket you shop at. i don't clip coupons either-- but my mom gives them to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey