Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
What is that supposed to mean?
i thought the statement was pretty clear. newark for the loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 AM

380 posts, read 709,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i thought the statement was pretty clear. newark for the loss.
I have lived in Newark my whole life and have watched it struggle. Newark gets a bad rap by people who do not live here & maybe rightly so from their point of view. There is no denying the fact that Newark has major problems. However, from my point of view, Newark has come a long way from the late 60's & there are some neighborhoods that have come back from the dead like the low rise condos on South Orange Ave. The same has been done on Prince St. which used to be a war zone. There is a Home Depot and an Applebees on Springfield Ave near Bergen St. This was thought impossible 20 years ago. I talk with other homeowners in Newark and there is a sense of hope and excitment about the coming decade. So when I hear someone say "Newark for the loss" I just wonder if all they know about Newark is statistics or what they see from their locked car with window rolled up as they race to get back on the highway and try to get out of town before sundown.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There were several big development projects in the works a few years back, but they didn't pencil out financially. The costs of building large-scale projects in Newark is the same as in Jersey City, but Newark doesn't command the same rents, so the numbers don't work. I recall one of the projects where the developer approached the unions, demanding concessions so he could get his building up- they just about died laughing.

Elizabeth has the same issues, and that's why all the work that was supposed to happen by the ferry depot (which has also stalled) never happened.
Very well stated. My partner and I were the exclusive realtors for the Lincoln Park Coast Cultural District Project. We had everything ready to go; had phase one (townhouses) built, threw the launch party, met with all officials, including the Mayor, etc. and then guess what, financing fell through. Talk about a waste. It was sad because this project was going to be great for the community and was going to be a self contained Green complex with 300 units but it was out of my hands.

I still believe that one day Newark will become what similar towns like Jersey City, Edgewater, Hoboken, and Fort Lee have become but I would be lying if I did not say it was going to take a lot of time. With the completion of the new NYC tunnel due in 2016, there will be no reason why Newark would not become the next big thing.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:54 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Quote:
newark will do nothing positive, probably ever.
Newark already has, with the light rail extension, Devils arena, and overall quality of buildings in the downtown area. Sure it isn't completely nice, but as a resident, I can definetly say it is getting better and Booker is doing a good job.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:24 PM

im glad you neward residents are happy with the development going on there. i only recall going to newark once in my life. it was to the prudential center not too long ago for a UFC event. i will not be going back even just to go to the prudential center. call me in a few decades and we will do a follow up.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
People, please, don't feed the troll.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:59 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
Jersey city is still not developed as much as it could be. JC is much easier access to NYC. once Jersey City is totally redeveloped, then maybe they will move onto Newark. But I dont see why anyone would want to be doing major development in Newark when you can do it for Jersey city
Jersey City has a lot of development that could still happen. A whole lot of the built environment is one, two or three family houses. IMO, the whole city should be at least five stories tall and dense. Its the only hope for true affordable housing in this area.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
People, please, don't feed the troll.
im with you, these pro-newark people cant be for real.

i guess sometimes people view their own hometown more favorably than an outside observer.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:50 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Quote:

i guess sometimes people view their own hometown more favorably than an outside observer.
Newark isn't my hometown. I've lived here for maybe 2 years now. When I first came here it was bad, but still holding an outsider's view I can say it's gotten much better over that timespan. Don't get me or most of us other pro-Newarkians wrong, it's still far from being a mecca of milk and honey, but crime has dropped, the downtown has and still is being renovated, and more respectable and tax-paying people are buying property in town. It's no longer your father's Newark.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
No. You're def not with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey