Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple with no children considering selling New Jersey home to move into vacation home full time, taxes too high in New Jersey, vacation home in Schuyler Falls New York,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:48 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled 'n Texas View Post

I'm trying to assess if a move back to NJ is a good idea since we need services for my son that are simply not provided in any quality by the public school system here in Texas.
If I had a child with autism, we would have never left Jersey ... seriously. There are many terrific options there within the public school system. There have been various posts on this before, you might want to do a search on the topic. New Jersey has the highest rate of autisim ever documented in the United States (1 in every 94 children, 1 in 60 for boys). This, of course, leads to an extensive amount of funding toward research, education, etc.

Sincerely,

SL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 7,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
... New Jersey has the highest rate of autisim ever documented in the United States (1 in every 94 children, 1 in 60 for boys).
That's a pretty disturbing statistic. I've been out of the state for 28 years now and I have been musing about a move back. We spend a large portion of my salary for ABA therapy. I think with the high taxes in New Jersey it would be, at worst, a break even proposition but I would be able to give my son more full time services.

My cousin has a daughter with autism and his wife has been telling me about the services she has been getting. She seems to think that we would at least have a fighting chance in New Jersey.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:27 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled 'n Texas View Post
That's a pretty disturbing statistic. I've been out of the state for 28 years now and I have been musing about a move back. We spend a large portion of my salary for ABA therapy. I think with the high taxes in New Jersey it would be, at worst, a break even proposition but I would be able to give my son more full time services.

My cousin has a daughter with autism and his wife has been telling me about the services she has been getting. She seems to think that we would at least have a fighting chance in New Jersey.
It's a disturbing statistic overall in the sense that ASPD is the fastest growing serious developmental disability in the country. However, the numbers are likely higher in Jersey due to more awareness and better identification when compared to other states, especially amongst educational professionals. For the record, Georgia reports the lowest numbers.

Ironically, my son's special needs and our passionate (and expensive, drawn out) legal battle with the school system is one of the main reasons we left New Jersey -- yes, it was that bad. At the time of our arrival in North Carolina, my son had not been in school for a full year. Fortunately, we've been considerably more successful addressing his needs in North Carolina.

By the way, the numbers I've quoted were from Autism Speaks. We'll all be hearing a lot more about ASPD as it impacts more and more families. And of course, April is Autism Awareness Month. Bill Cosby and Toni Braxton have an upcoming benefit concert with all proceeds going to research and education.

Good luck!

SL

Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Taboo, yes it is on the salmon river!!! Yes metal roof log cabin, 1.4 acres. How did you know???

Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Default Out of Jersey too

We own a second home in Saratoga although I have lived in Jersey my entire life. We found it is a beautiful area with better housing costs, taxes, etc. We have traveled all over trying to decide where to go and the biggest deciding factor was the people. After making numerous trips, it was like being in a different world. People are considerate, helpful, friendly and sincere. We will move up there permanently next year and I certainly won't miss the rude drivers, rude sales people, over crowding, corruption, high taxes and charging you for going to the beach.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:31 PM

229 posts, read 232,667 times
stevemorse... I told you I was active in real estate !!! ha ha Actually prob. know every place for sale in Peru and Saranac district by picture. Do not wish to make a mistake with such a big move. Best of Luck and if a job comes through on this end... I will bring by a housewarming gift for ya !!!!!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:05 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
nice, yes I am not rushing into a move, but if we love it we are out of here!!! Ohhh how nice, yes its a nice little house, little but nice. Its a vacation weekend home for now we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey