Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
You bet it can! Let's see how CA's real estate market has done recently ...

[img]ww.housingbubblebust.com/OFHEO/Major/Graphs/NewYork.PNG[img]

is that your web site that you're linking pictures from?
Have you checked to see if they are copyrighted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's a chart of case shiller numbers, you know made with a spreadsheet from the freely available numbers at S&P | Indices > Alternative Indices - S&P/Case-Shiller® Home Price Indices - Home Price Values

You can make it yourself in 5 minutes from the data provided there, the chances that they meet the "creative" requirements for copyright are exactly zero.

Also given the licensing terms on that web site, the owner isn't likely to mind anyway.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 AM

22 posts, read 79,358 times
I would like to know anybody that already owned a house that were on the same my range and salary.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:55 AM

414 posts, read 911,691 times
Default emotions

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1s1 View Post
OK, Im going to try to kind blog my experience buying my First house.
Last night I could not sleep because I'm kind scare. We went from starting to save money to thinking about buying a house to we are actually looking for a house. I feel like it is too much, is this normal? I would like to know how your felt when you starting to look for a house?
To answer just part of your post...buying a house is a major step in life so those jingling nerves are perfectly normal! And chances are if/when you find the house of your dreams and you have an offer accepted and things start moving along quickly (tho never quite quickly enough) you'll most likely be overcome with "buyer's remorse" which is constantly thinking/worrying about your decision that seemed so right just a few months before! I.e., "is there a bigger/better/cheaper house for us"...
All perfectly normal ranges of emotion for such a huge decision, so don't feel like there's something wrong with you!
Good luck!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:42 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post

To answer just part of your post...buying a house is a major step in life so those jingling nerves are perfectly normal! And chances are if/when you find the house of your dreams and you have an offer accepted and things start moving along quickly (tho never quite quickly enough) you'll most likely be overcome with "buyer's remorse" which is constantly thinking/worrying about your decision that seemed so right just a few months before! I.e., "is there a bigger/better/cheaper house for us"...
All perfectly normal ranges of emotion for such a huge decision, so don't feel like there's something wrong with you!
Good luck!
I echo her sentiments. We went through the same thing. I don't even think we were at your income when we bought ours.
You will be ok.
I remember thinking the day of closing we went to our house and I thought, "ok, this is great, but can we really afford this".
Buying your first house is EXTREMELY stressful. I actually got pregnant through the process, though on birth control and my ob said "what's been going on in your life" and I told him we bought our house and then he said "forget it, the stress of buying a house will negate any form you use".
So now, going past the stress, it's an incredible learning experience and feels really good, especially six months down the road when you realize, "hey, we're making it work" and then you feel a big sense of accomplishment.
Enjoy your journey. That's exactly what it is. And best of luck to you.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:25 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Aw, what's the matter -- don't like the data? You'd like to see it suppressed?

You're right, it is subject to copyright under the Open Public License.

Copyright (c) 2009 by Author. This material may be distributed only subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication License, vX.Y or later (the latest version is presently available at http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/).

Enjoy!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 AM

138 posts, read 510,033 times
Buying your first home is extremely stressful; any new experience that involves huge commitment and tons of money is! Weren't you nervous when you got married? In any case, your realtor should make the process as educational for you as possible. Every aspect of the transaction should be explained, as well as the paperwork involved.

As important as a great real estate agent is an excellent attorney. DON'T USE AN ATTORNEY WHO DOESN'T SPECIALIZE IN REAL ESTATE! Also, steer clear of attorneys that 'mix specialties.' It's very frustrating for everyone involved when your attorney can't be reached because they're in court all day attending to their divorce clients. Real estate transactions have a tendency to be very time sensitive and no one wants to wait two days until your attorney finds time to respond.

I was curious so checked out what was available in Bergen County $270K and under...not a bad selection; 117 in total and some in great towns. Just beware of flood zones when you're in that price range. Flood zone info is available on a superficial level on Realist.com; your real estate agent should know that. Further to that, visit the town hall and find out if the property's in a flood zone.

Good luck, have fun and keep saving your money! The larger your down payment, the better!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM

263 posts, read 524,186 times
I think 270K is too much for your budget. Have you taken into account property taxes? Taxes in NJ are way too high and one should get a discount for that. More importantly the house in Bergen that costs 270K might cost 200K in a couple of years which will be a much better monthly payment to handle. Or if you like for 270K you can buy something bigger. I would suggest to rent until prices return to historical trends. Rents are going down too. Here's a recent interview by robert shiller of Yale U. Keypoints

• House prices are still only halfway back down to fair value.
  • Prices don't usually stop at fair value.
  • Obama's plan won't turn house prices around.

Shiller: House Prices Still Way Too High

Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,528,127 times
You're very focused, half off peak.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM

88 posts, read 298,087 times
I'm in the process of buying a home, do you know what your credit score is? getting a mortgage is the biggest hurdle you'll have to over come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey