Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
Very true. And whatever you buy now will most likely have to be replaced or repaired repeatedly. I've had a Sylvan for 17 years and I'm not sure I'd ever do it again. Every year the opening is an adventure to find something that is cracked or broken or needs to be replaced - lights, coping, cement walkways, etc. Don't even think of putting one in unless you are either well off and can afford to pay contractors to do the service, OR extremely handy and willing to put the time and effort in that it requires. We pretty much give up two full weekends a year for the opening and closing, tending to all of the related chores that owning a pool requires. No matter how much we spend in chemicals, we end up draining and powerwashing the pool every couple of years to completely remove the algae that builds up over time.

The fun wears off, and the maintenance is forever.

Rhys
Yes, and the pool season is relatively short here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Just pay a few hundreds to use the town's pools. The cost is too high to have pool that you can only enough few week out of the years. It probably cost you more in chemical them township pool fee.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,307 times
My ex & I bought a house with a heated inground gunite Sylvan pool 12 years ago in N.J.. The pool was approximately 15 years old. It heald 40k gallons! My God, what a nightmare! I'll NEVER do that again!!! To sell the property with that nightmare was like selling a white elephant... we had another inground gunnite pool (much smaller) at a house we had in AZ and that worked out well. No problems because of better climate. We owned 2 other homes in the northeast where one had a 12 year old out of ground pool & we bought & had installed another in another home....NO PROBLEMS, they were cheaper & selling the homes with them was a breeze!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:53 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumlum2002 View Post
My ex & I bought a house with a heated inground gunite Sylvan pool 12 years ago in N.J.. The pool was approximately 15 years old. It heald 40k gallons! My God, what a nightmare! I'll NEVER do that again!!! To sell the property with that nightmare was like selling a white elephant... we had another inground gunnite pool (much smaller) at a house we had in AZ and that worked out well. No problems because of better climate. We owned 2 other homes in the northeast where one had a 12 year old out of ground pool & we bought & had installed another in another home....NO PROBLEMS, they were cheaper & selling the homes with them was a breeze!
It makes sense. There is a pretty limited time of the year that a pool is available for use in NJ so no need to go all out with it if you do want one.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 AM

127 posts, read 160,660 times
I had Add-On Pool od Middletown install my in-ground pool in 2004. The 38'x18' customer pool (lower left hand corner - http://www.addonpools.com/poolsandspas.shtml was approximately $24,000 with extra stamped concrete ($3000) - I do not remember the cubic yards of concrete. With additional cost for tree removal (to get into yard), landscaping, patio furniture and a new 6' non-scaleable fence (per code), it was probably closer to $38,000 when all done.

Add another $1000 for a Dolphin pool cleaner (http://dolphinpoolrobot.com/en/resid...-pool-cleaners) - this was the best investment - I have never vacuumed the pool in 10 years. My friends and neighbors find it amazing and I enjoy having a glass of wine as we watch the robot clean. The vacuum stuff is still in its original seal unopen box.

Opening and closing is approximately $300 each per year. Chemicals (chlorine pool) are approximately $300/year. I did have to replace the pump motor about 2 years ago (~$350).

Except for the initial fill, the electric and water bill are minimal.

I would also offer this advise on pool toys, if there is a picture of women on the box or label - do not get it - I will never hold a guy.

On last bid of advise, remember this is a construction project and make sure they are insured and registered with the state!! You should also be present or readily available during all the major stages (digging, construction, electrical, etc) so it is done to your satisfaction.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:09 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think a decent 16x32 inground pool has to run $20,000-$30,000 with patios, lighting, etc. I'm sure you can do a cheapie for less than that but inground pools are a headache for resale. At least if you're going to put one in, it should look really nice and be an asset.

-Marc
Unless you live in FL..lol

I could never understand why someone in NJ would go for an inground at the cost to install when if you're lucky you're getting 3 months usage out of it.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:31 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
Pools are like boats.. Best to have friends that own them.

I had a boating buddy who kept a boat in the water in Margate. Every time he took me out I brought Wawa hoagies and sodas/water for everyone going out that day.

---

Direct answer. 40K if you include a nice pool house for pump and supplies. 4 month season, way too short.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:05 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
I know the OP is long gone but to answer his question.

In NJ more than they are worth.

We almost bought a NJ home with a pool because we loved the house, but we hesitated and lucky for us somebody else snatched it up.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:36 AM

453 posts, read 1,742,550 times
Love how these 4 year old threads get revived for no apparent reason. Mods, this forum really needs to add thread expiration dates.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:39 PM

343 posts, read 615,388 times
i dont see what the problem is, the issue is valid then as it is now. What difference does it make if it's an old thread vs someone creating a new one?

As for pools in NJ, unless you are retired and have nothing better to do, it's an absolute time and money drain to maintain it just to get a few months out of each year. It will actually decrease the value of your property in most cases.

I would never buy a house with a pool in nj.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey