Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 AM

6 posts, read 29,577 times

Advertisements

Our budget is up to $275K, which isn't a ton, but should be able to get us something. We are tired of renting and want to jump in the housing market while mortgage rates are low. We know the home may be a bit outdated in certain aspects, but we are okay with that. We are looking for a nice home though, one not in need of major repairs, 3BR, and 1.5 to 2BA.

We are looking at Ridgefield Park primarily, but are also considering Bergenfield now since Teaneck doesn't seem to have a lot of good things written about it. We are also exploring the option of Fair Lawn, Little Ferry, and Bogota. We are looking at these towns due to their quick commute to NYC as we work in the city. Bergenfield appears to have a longer commute to the city than all of the other towns, however, the housing inventory is plentiful, so that's why we are considering it.

We are not opposed to some diversity, but are also not looking to be the minority (we are caucasian). We are aware that some of the towns listed are very diverse (at least according to website statistics), but the census was last taken in 2000, 9 years ago, and times change. Since we are not very familiar with any of these areas, we are looking for help to narrow down the list of towns that would be best for us to consider purchasing a home.

We appreciate any insight and help that you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,057,468 times
Little Ferry has alot of flood zones, and traffic... of the others, I'd rank them like this:

Bogota
Fair Lawn
Bergenfield
Ridgefield Park

Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Little Ferry has alot of flood zones, and traffic... of the others, I'd rank them like this:

Bogota
Fair Lawn
Bergenfield
Ridgefield Park

Fair Lawn is better than Bogota, and WAY better than Bergenfield or Ridgefield Park. There's no contest. The schools alone would blow the schools of the other three towns out of the water. However, 275K would be a big stretch in FL.

I'd definitely take Teaneck over Bogota, Bergenfield, or Ridgefield Park also. But again, 275K would be a stretch. Fair Lawn is the best of all of them, however.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 29,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Fair Lawn is better than Bogota, and WAY better than Bergenfield or Ridgefield Park. There's no contest. The schools alone would blow the schools of the other three towns out of the water. However, 275K would be a big stretch in FL.

I'd definitely take Teaneck over Bogota, Bergenfield, or Ridgefield Park also. But again, 275K would be a stretch. Fair Lawn is the best of all of them, however.

Where in Teaneck would be a good place to look? The town is so large, it is difficult to wrap our heads around what are the safer areas. Also, which areas tend to not be so diverse that we would end up being the minority by a long shot? We have friends from all races, however, they even admit that it wouldn't be the best purchase if we were the only caucasians around.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 PM

14 posts, read 35,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeBuyer2009 View Post
Our budget is up to $275K, which isn't a ton, but should be able to get us something. We are tired of renting and want to jump in the housing market while mortgage rates are low. We know the home may be a bit outdated in certain aspects, but we are okay with that. We are looking for a nice home though, one not in need of major repairs, 3BR, and 1.5 to 2BA.

We are looking at Ridgefield Park primarily, but are also considering Bergenfield now since Teaneck doesn't seem to have a lot of good things written about it. We are also exploring the option of Fair Lawn, Little Ferry, and Bogota. We are looking at these towns due to their quick commute to NYC as we work in the city. Bergenfield appears to have a longer commute to the city than all of the other towns, however, the housing inventory is plentiful, so that's why we are considering it.

We are not opposed to some diversity, but are also not looking to be the minority (we are caucasian). We are aware that some of the towns listed are very diverse (at least according to website statistics), but the census was last taken in 2000, 9 years ago, and times change. Since we are not very familiar with any of these areas, we are looking for help to narrow down the list of towns that would be best for us to consider purchasing a home.

We appreciate any insight and help that you can provide.

In Bergenfield if you are Caucasian, you will be in the minority. And the problem is that there are so many people in each minority that instead of mixing, people just mix with their same ethnic friends.

If you have kids in school this will be a problem. Trust me, it was for my son, who is very outgoing and friendly. The cliques in High school are ethnicity based and keep to themselves.

I wouldn't purchase in Bergenfield, I've lived here for ten years and watched the town go downhill in that time. I'm planning on leaving it myself. It's also a famously corrupt town. The town govt. is out of control and resists any attempt to get it into line.

Only the elementary schools are decent. The middle school is a nightmare by an active railroad track. Way too small, with kids packed in like sardines. And they must change classes nine times a day, elbowing their way through the halls.

It is very convenient to the city. Lots of buses, etc.

Anyway, I guess I've aired a few of my grievances against Bergenfield. One saving grace of the High school, in fact of the whole educational system here, is the music program. 100 piece orchestra from fourth grade on. Also great chorus. And the middle school and high school concerts are just heaven. The little devils just turn into angels of harmony on stage and make beautiful music. If Mr. Cupp is still in charge at the High school music program, then rest assured your kid will have one teacher who will actually teach and give him or her someone to emulate.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:35 PM

78 posts, read 330,359 times
I have lived in the area for 40 years and have seen first Teaneck go down hill and as a part time real estate agent watched as Bergenfield, Bogota and Ridgefield Park begin their change. I am currently renting in Bergenfield. I would pickfor the schools alone Fairlawn. It is avery diverse town but somewhat stable.I would not moveback to teaneck if I had school age children. I have hear rumbles about the schools in Bogota and Bergenfield and how they are changing. My first choice hands down is Fairlawn, with a possible Ridgefieldpark second and Bergenfield third.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:39 PM

240 posts, read 1,264,894 times
Take a look at Clifton or Lodi

Old 09-24-2009, 06:44 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
I'd go with Fair Lawn first, and then Ridgefield Park, and none of the other towns.

Based on your budget, Fair Lawn is not going to be easy, so I would go with Ridgefield Park. Great commute, decent schools. A good compromise with your budget and needs.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

Fair Lawn is definitely the best of the list. But I can't see taking Teaneck over Bogota or Ridgefield Park.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,522 times
I live in Bergenfield and I'd like to get the hell out, it's not the nicest of towns. The crime in my area is low (Tenafly/Dumont border) but it's mostly Philippine and Hispanic now and honestly, I think they'd like to keep it going in that direction. One of the biggest realtors in the town is Philippine so I'm sure that helps squeeze out certain groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey