Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:04 AM

229 posts, read 923,536 times

Advertisements

Let's go partners! Open two!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM

So there is a bodega for sale right at the Altessa. Called the agent and am waiting for a return call.

I went to the Altessa again this evening. Here is what I saw:

A few blocks away, families and kids playing in a park. Two cops on bikes sitting there having a conversation with some folks. Seemed very nice.

Right on the corner, near the church, some kids were playing touch football.

I drove all around within 4 or 5 blocks and the worst thing I saw was 2 guys hanging on the corner, trying to look tough. Besides that, all I saw was typical city stuff. People going about their business, doing laundry, shopping, hanging out, etc.

I am completely comfortable with this area. I am even more excited to move in. They better hurry up!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
what time did you check this out, and what are your plans for the bodega if it were to pan out. You don't have to disclose this, I understand.

I'll be exploring more of the area after work 9pm + during the week to see how things are and where it gets sketchy. I need a reason to ride my bike anyway.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM

I drove by first at about 6PM, then later in the evening, around 9ish.

Seems like a good place to have a coffee shop. Few outside tables, etc.

There seemed to be a few places up for rent/sale right there, so have to research more.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
there is a lot of building around JFK or SUmmit and 8th ish ave (by the Mcdonalds, autozone, rite aid) any idea what they are putting up there?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 PM

8 posts, read 31,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarutsu View Post
So we visited the Altessa, and I'm telling you, it's a tough decision. First of all, the area did not seem unsafe to me; however, we were not there at night. In fact, the bigger issue is that there's really not much to do in the vicinity. I do think it's the kind of area in which people might feel uncomfortable if they didn't live or grow up in a diverse neighborhood -- which leads to my concern: resale.

The units are definitely nice and priced well, but with so many luxury-type units available closer to the Hudson, how will these compete? Let's say the market recovers and the Altessa values skyrocket, would the type of person who could afford those prices be willing to buy in the area? I don't know the answer. So it feels like a major gamble.

I'm also worried that the maintenance fees will skyrocket in a few years.

Believe me, we want to live in the Altessa; now we're just trying to convince ourselves that it's a smart long-term investment. There's no question we'll be comfortable there in the short-term (although I think you really need to own a car to be comfortable there).
You addressed some of my concerns as well. I too worry about resale to those that can afford it and the maintenance fees skyrocketing. When you think about a building with that many amenities you have to wonder what the maintenance will be like 2 to 3 years after completion.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:18 AM

I had teh same concerns. The reality is that the price of a unit in the Altessa will never be the same as unit on the river. But they are not now either. I know that for a comparable unit to what I got, in Hoboken, Weehawken or JC woudl be at least 70% more expensive. So, if I paid $500 and comp units in those towns cost $850 right now, when they go to $1MM (and they will), mine should go up a similar amount, adjusted for the price difference, so probably $600.

I am buying for the long run. I think it a wise decision.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 PM

8 posts, read 31,088 times
The Altessa website is down right now. I think they are updating the prices probably. Let's see if we already have some equity.....LOL.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 AM

231 posts, read 587,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mforrest100 View Post
The Altessa website is down right now. I think they are updating the prices probably. Let's see if we already have some equity.....LOL.
They (the Altessa) seem to do funny things with their prices on the MLS. Some units decrease in price and others are raised. Can anyone explain this?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
There is a brand new High Scool being built a couple of blocks from Altessa. I would think this could bring down the value of that real estate, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey