Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,127,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would like to know how come you can't make lefts in NJ?
You can, just not on the highway. Also, you have obviously not been on the GSP or places like 17+80 where the exits are on the left.

Quote:
And what's up with the local and express lanes on the highways?
Commuters. It makes it so that traffic is not slowed as much (in theory) by cars changing lanes and merging. Unfortunately, when the cause of the traffic is not that, it does very little (it also helps prevent accidents...)

Quote:
It's hard to really know what lane you're supposed to be in if you're not familiar with the areas.
In some areas. The 46/23 interchange by Willobrook Mall in Wayne can be confusing, but as with most highways in NJ, you drive a mile and you can just turn around and go back the other way.

You start going Upstate or some of these otehr roads and that is not always the case (Yes, I think the Turnpike or GSP also has a few one-side only exits/entrances)

Quote:
I have missed my exit many times b/c of this. Also, is there anywhere NJ that doesn't smell? And why can't I pump my own gas?
Yes, there are plenty of areas that do not smell. Drive away from the refineries in Linden/Newark and it smells much nicer.

Unless you do not like trees/grass.

Also, why do you want to pump your own gas when you are charged more for gas you have to pump yourself in just about every other state in the union?

You make a "self serve"aisle, gas stations will use THAT as their base price and try to charge extra for the "service".

It is bad enough you can't get anyone to even clean your windshield anymore (used to be standard!) I don't want them making it so automatic all you have is one guy in the stations Quik-E-Mart to handle everything.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:36 AM

636 posts, read 1,424,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would like to know how come you can't make lefts in NJ? And what's up with the local and express lanes on the highways? It's hard to really know what lane you're supposed to be in if you're not familiar with the areas. I have missed my exit many times b/c of this. Also, is there anywhere NJ that doesn't smell? And why can't I pump my own gas?

Jughandles are a good thing. People shouldn’t be exiting on the left, that’s a passing lane.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Mich, jugs are only good to a certain flow level. After that, they really stink. You need enough space between on and off to be able to perge with traffic, and a lot of jughandle intersections are showing the problems with not having that.

I do agree, however, that for 90% of the cases where they occur, left hand exits/entrances are not a practical solution!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:57 AM

299 posts, read 1,333,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Geez, here we go.

Northern Jersey is not all farms and poop. Central jersey, as once the manufacturing and shipping center for the area, bears the brunt of being the place where most people get their bad impressions of NJ.

Southern Jersey has some attractions, but it is much more rural than North (in general). It tends to be less exciting and have less thnigs to go and see (Philly is more Central/West NJ).

North Jersey also has some industrial areas that are less attractive to be in (although I can't name individual towns by name) but neither is that bad.

I think there is just more to "do" in North Jersy than south due to its proximity to NYC.

What's with all the hate people?
Beg to differ - Philly is not central/west NJ Check it out
South Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Meh. Looks like South Central or Northern South Jersey

Point being, not all of South Jersey is serviced by it, not quite as much as NYC to Northern NJ.

That and Trenton is more Central NJ. Looking at the maps, it looks like the strip from Philly to Trenton west of 95/295 seems to be the area with more development.....

That whole area between 95/295 and the GSP seems empty....

Barren almost!

Question, what's up with Millville and Vineland? that seems to be the other spur of development along route 50.......

Old 06-17-2009, 01:28 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,719 times
Let this ridiculous thread die already.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:38 PM

NO NO NO!!!!!!

We still haven't defined "urban" well enough!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
You can, just not on the highway. Also, you have obviously not been on the GSP or places like 17+80 where the exits are on the left.

Commuters. It makes it so that traffic is not slowed as much (in theory) by cars changing lanes and merging. Unfortunately, when the cause of the traffic is not that, it does very little (it also helps prevent accidents...)

In some areas. The 46/23 interchange by Willobrook Mall in Wayne can be confusing, but as with most highways in NJ, you drive a mile and you can just turn around and go back the other way.

You start going Upstate or some of these otehr roads and that is not always the case (Yes, I think the Turnpike or GSP also has a few one-side only exits/entrances)

Yes, there are plenty of areas that do not smell. Drive away from the refineries in Linden/Newark and it smells much nicer.

Unless you do not like trees/grass.

Also, why do you want to pump your own gas when you are charged more for gas you have to pump yourself in just about every other state in the union?

You make a "self serve"aisle, gas stations will use THAT as their base price and try to charge extra for the "service".

It is bad enough you can't get anyone to even clean your windshield anymore (used to be standard!) I don't want them making it so automatic all you have is one guy in the stations Quik-E-Mart to handle everything.
actually in NY you pay less to pump it yourself

Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
So, you don't know how to naviagate and that is a fault of the state. Lol.

As for places in the state that do not smell- check near these places:

Weichert.com : Buying : NJ : Bergen County : Real Estate Search Results

Weichert.com : Buying : NJ : Essex County : Real Estate Search Results

Weichert.com : Buying : NJ : Somerset County : Real Estate Search Results
lol, i'm not looking to move to jersey...but thanks for the tip.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:11 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,834 times
Quote:
Meh. Looks like South Central or Northern South Jersey

Point being, not all of South Jersey is serviced by it, not quite as much as NYC to Northern NJ.

That and Trenton is more Central NJ. Looking at the maps, it looks like the strip from Philly to Trenton west of 95/295 seems to be the area with more development.....

That whole area between 95/295 and the GSP seems empty....

Barren almost!

Question, what's up with Millville and Vineland? that seems to be the other spur of development along route 50.......
"Barren almost" is pretty much what it is. Pine Barrens.......
Vineland is 29 miles from Philly & Millville is approx 34 mile from Philly. Homes & land are much cheaper there as well as taxes & even though it makes for a long commute to Philly it is possible. Also, areas in Gloucester & Camden County that have grown may offer some employnent opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey