Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,216,356 times

Advertisements

What qualifies as a "diverse neighborhood/ town" in your estimation?

Diversity in terms of ?

NJ is as diverse as they come in regard to city/nature, ethnicity, race, job market, etc and a 'short commute' to NYC is available from almost anywhere in the state, except deep south J. South J is a suburb of Philly. North, central and south east is a suburb of NYC.

Why NYC vs Philly? job, entertainment?

DC is also just an exit away.

Are you citified folks or country folks? NJ has it all. Just bring lots of money to share with the state, county and towns. Get your ezpass first thing you do.

Commute to work is a prime criteria for most.

More specifics would help to answer your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 PM

237 posts, read 1,110,684 times
Welcome to considering our Garden State but I think your request is too broad. There are so many towns in NJ that would fit what you are looking for.

While NJ is a relatively small state, to include northern, central and southern regions covers a lot of terrain. I suggest giving more info re what is on your wish list - how long of a NYC commute is acceptable, housing price range for a townhome rental, do you like being near mountains, lakes, parks or beaches, do you like lots of open space or prefer to be in a close community environment, will you be driving or will you need public transportation access nearby, etc. These are all things that will help recommend some good towns for you.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,771 times
We too would like to find a great town in NJ. Preferably Union, Somerset or Morris County. Good schools, lots of open space, our price range is about $350-$400k. Commutable to NYC - 1hr - 1 1/2 hrs. We're looking for commutable "country"... Any suggestions?

Last edited by statriotic; 06-25-2009 at 07:24 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candleburningdiva View Post
we are looking to move to a diverse neighborhood/town.
see, when a white person says "not diverse" they mean "only white people." when a black (or other minority) says "diverse" they mean "lots of black people." anyway, i dont think its wrong for either side to have their preference.

now, im going to try to add some value to this thread because i dont want to only be a jerk. i drive to brooklyn from morganville every day and i see lots of bus stops along route 9 to take people to manhattan. it looks to me like old bridge has townhomes by route 9 which are convenient for people to take that bus to the city.

i know my wife has taken a bus from the cheesequake rest area to the city and says its a 50 minute trip and is rarely longer because bus lanes and whatnot let them coast straight to the port authority.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,569 times
I live in South jersey - Merchantville to be exact. It is a great community in my opinion - economic and racially diverse, people are friendly, they walk their dogs and children and are involved. You can check out www.merchantville.com for more info. It is far from NY though. Good luck

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
Quote:
Get your ezpass first thing you do.
this can't be stressed enough

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 884 times
i wouldn't recommend moving to Jersey at all. I don't think i know of anyone who doesn't know anyone who lived here and has been diagnosed with cancer. (south jersey, mainly gloucester, salem, atlantic, and cumberland counties).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey