Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,840 times

Advertisements

I can't comment on his other posts (not familiar with them), but I think it is a legitamate question to ask why someone would feel uncomfortable in an all white neighborhood.

I mean how uncomfortable can you be in Howell, NJ? Its basically crime free with good schools, lots of trees and near the shore. If its a bad place only because its mostly white, we are headed down a worse path in this country than I thought.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Some of these people on here act like their white selves would move into a city like East Orange without feeling uncomfortable. It's human nature, it's not racism; But i'm sure some people could do it no problem. Depends on what kind of person you are.

I personally think a town with one predominate race is just not a great move for me, I like diversity. But yes, Howell and Freehold have African Americans. It's not like there is no black people in these towns what so ever! There's just a low percentile of African Americans in the two towns.
Just look up the demographics and see if you like the numbers or not.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 PM

250 posts, read 563,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
non-African Americans make you uncomfortable?
I expect you to know better. Please be forthcoming and dont answer a question with a question.

To the OP, I would say be strong and stick with plan of a good school systems as a top priority in your search for a place to call home. I know most race feels comfortable being among their own race so I understand your concern but I would say diversity in Jersey is very great when you strike the ratio.

[LEFT]Races in Freehold:
  • White Non-Hispanic (53.3%)
  • Hispanic (28.1%)
  • Black (15.8%)
  • Other race (6.6%)
  • Two or more races (3.5%)
  • American Indian (1.2%)
  • Chinese (0.8%)
  • Asian Indian (0.7%)
[/LEFT]
[SIZE=2](Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]//www.city-data.com/city/Freehold-New-Jersey.html[/SIZE]

<LI class=header>Demographics

Total Population: 37,796
White Population: 33,856
Black Population: 1,405
Hispanic Population: 2,158
Asian Population: 1,378
Hawaiian Population: 4
Indian Population: 47
Male Population: 18,613
Female Population: 19,183
Median Age: 34.4
Median Age of Males: 34.0
Median Age of Females: 34.8

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-22-2013 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 04:25 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,076 times
Ahh. Couldnt resist staying out of this one. The #1 race that is behind bars is...drum roll please.... African Americans...

I think you have things backwards, OP.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Ahh. Couldnt resist staying out of this one. The #1 race that is behind bars is...drum roll please.... African Americans...

I think you have things backwards, OP.
What did that mean? I'm quite sure the OP just meant she doesn't want to feel like a minority, not that white people were going to be threatening to her or her children. Just like you might feel if your children were the only white ones in their class/school, or yours was the only white family on the block.

Come on, people. Get real.

Last edited by Ms.Charlotte; 07-23-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 05:11 PM

250 posts, read 563,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
What did that mean? I'm quite sure the OP just meant she doesn't want to feel like a minority, not that white people were going to be threatening to her or here children. Just like you might feel if your children were the only white ones in their class/school, or yours was the only white family on the block.

Come on, people. Get real.
It's very sad when folks still dont get it.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:22 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,735 times
I don't like where some of these responses are going. Captain NJ's response was a little bit uncalled for, but at the same time it was kind of funny. But Todd72173's response about black people being the most prevelent race in our correctional facilities is really irrelevant. Clearly the OP's are from a nice, hard-working, and honest African-American family if they're looking to move into a nice community like Howell. However, Howell does not have a large African-American population, neither does Freehold township. But I think Freehold borough has a sizable one. I'm sure you can find the demographics either on here or on Wikipedia, or any other website that offers this type of information.

Let's get real though, we all feel more comfortable around our own races. We may not have problems with people who are of different races, but more often than not, people are just more comfortable around their own kind. Can you blame these people for wanting to be around other blacks? I'm sure when some of you decided where you wanted to move, you didn't even think twice about moving to a community that's 80% black. But obviously there are more towns that are 80% white than 80% black, it's hard for these people to find a nice community where they can feel comfortable. The only place in Monmouth county that I can think of that has a large African-American population is Asbury Park, but no one wants to live there, it's a dead town.

To the OP's: I think you will find many more desirable communities that are to your liking if you head further south in Jersey, especially towards the Philly Metro area. As you head more North, towns become pretty segregated. There are clear-cut white and black communities, and the black communities tend not to be great areas. I think in South Jersey, you might have better luck. I read something on another thread that gave me a hint that there are nice communities in South Jersey with decently sized african-american populations.

I totally understand where they are coming from. I live in a very nice commnunity in North Jersey, and there's a black family that lives on our street. They are the only black family in the neighborhood, and they do not talk to any of the other neighbors nor do they attend the block parties. I guess they feel like they just can't connect.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
non-African Americans make you uncomfortable?
No, absence of African Americans makes them uncomfortable. Most people don't like being the odd one out.

I'm surprised that you need this explained to you. You have a college degree and a professional job, right ? Surely, you are smarter than this.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:39 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinda94 View Post
It's very sad when folks still dont get it.
Thank you.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
No, absence of African Americans makes them uncomfortable. Most people don't like being the odd one out.

I'm surprised that you need this explained to you. You have a college degree and a professional job, right ? Surely, you are smarter than this.
i really have no problem with any preferences. the OP could say they hate whitey and only want to be in a black-only area. fine with me. i believe the only important factor is trying to maximize your own quality of life. its just that it seems when a white person is trying to avoid "diversity" they are evil and racist. i did get a kick out of my line about finding a great school system in a high AA area.

to the thread starter, whats a good % of african americans that you are looking for? freehold seems relatively diverse to me. not just african americans but also some nice latinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey