Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,955,688 times

Advertisements

I only know one family from Freehold (Township) and they happen to be AA.

They are both highly-educated professionals. They live in a gorgeous, huge house. Yes, they are well-aware of their heritage and race, their house is decorated with African art from their travels, they cook traditional, Southern food etc.

Their children are fabulous and doing very well.

They seem to be very happy there. I don't know if how many African-Americans live there really makes a difference to them though. They seem to be more interested in planning their next cruise than worrying about stuff like that.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:30 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
I'm still baffled why people use the term African American, which they want to mean, someone of African decent who is black.

I know someone who was born in Zimbabwe and happens to be white.

Isn't she an African American?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
I'm still baffled why people use the term African American, which they want to mean, someone of African decent who is black.

I know someone who was born in Zimbabwe and happens to be white.

Isn't she an African American?

No, she is not. The term African American is a historical and cultural term, meant to describe the descendants of slaves who do not know what present-day African country their ancestors came from. It can also mean someone of African descent who has assimilated into the African American culture. Your friend, if she is an American citizen, is Zimbabwean American. Just as a person from Italy is not a European American but is an Italian American.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
No, she is not. The term African American is a historical and cultural term, meant to describe the descendants of slaves who do not know what present-day African country their ancestors came from. It can also mean someone of African descent who has assimilated into the African American culture. Your friend, if she is an American citizen, is Zimbabwean American. Just as a person from Italy is not a European American but is an Italian American.
So if she was born in Africa, but not knowing where, wouldn't you consider her an African-American?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
So if she was born in Africa, but not knowing where, wouldn't you consider her an African-American?

That depends..........but how would someone not know where they were born?

She is not of African ancestry, which means she is not of the African American culture.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
That depends..........but how would someone not know where they were born?

She is not of African ancestry, which means she is not of the African American culture.
Maybe stolen and sold to another tribe when they were infants.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:14 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,622,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i really have no problem with any preferences. the OP could say they hate whitey and only want to be in a black-only area. fine with me. i believe the only important factor is trying to maximize your own quality of life. its just that it seems when a white person is trying to avoid "diversity" they are evil and racist. i did get a kick out of my line about finding a great school system in a high AA area.

to the thread starter, whats a good % of african americans that you are looking for? freehold seems relatively diverse to me. not just african americans but also some nice latinos.
Thank you so much, Captain NJ, re: your reference "about some nice Latinos." Would that also include SONIA SOTOMAYOR, if she lived there?

Old 07-25-2009, 04:53 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,525,108 times
dont worry there are blacks there and the best part is there are no hillbillies in Howell!! Thats what you got to worry about. They really are the worst. Now let me go smoke my corn cob pipe so I can fit in, ohh I quit smoking.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:06 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,253,010 times
Oh so she wants to know if there are blacks because she feel more comfortable around blacks? Oh ok, theres no problem with that.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be around some of your own people.

However, if she is asking if there are any blacks because she doesnt want to be around them, then, thats another thing.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe stolen and sold to another tribe when they were infants.
Uh, yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey