Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:18 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times

Advertisements

This thread is a warning from someone who has lived in New Jersey his entire life, intended for those pondering if they should move here. Please, this site is for people looking for information on a state or city, and I am providing it.

Many will try to defend New Jersey and let me just say this: They only like Jersey because it's where they're families are friends are. There is nothing in Jersey that you cannot find better in so many other places, but New Jersey has so many more problems then most places do, it sure isn't worth it. So, the reasons why NOT to move to Jersey:

1: THE PEOPLE. If you lived in one of those more rural states you might have less intelligent, "simple minded" types, which might stink. But, at least you'll have natural beauty, which New Jersey is certaintly lacking (I'll get to that later) but here, you have the worst of both world: a urban environment AND people who might as well be hillbillies.
There is a kind of person in New Jersey that's hard to explain to some people from other parts of the country and certaintly people from other nations can't really comprehend it (I new a fellow from Poland who called gave up trying to explain it to his people back home) They are, you guessed it, THE GUIDOS.

Here is a good definition of them for you: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=guido

They are EVERYWHERE and everywhere they are, they are IN YOUR FACE. Stratch your chin in New Jersey and you're likely to get a fellow to fun within two inches of your face and start screaming, in that awful Jersey accent, "HEY! WATCHA' SCRATCHIN YOUR CHIN 'ROUND ME FOR?! I KNOW WAT DAT MEANS! YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M ANDY FIGGEROLI! WAT, YOU GOTTA PROBLEM 'WIT ANDY FIGGEROLI!? YO ANGIE, WATCH DA' MUSTANG! I'M GONNA BEAT THIS LITTLE PIECE OF *Beep* UP!"

Keep in mind, this is not just an Italian thing, as allot of Guidos aren't even Italian. It's just a Jersey thing. They are loud, rude, and IN YOUR FACE and ready to start a fight at the drop of a hat. This is the typical scene in New Jersey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5weU2...om=PL&index=27

And those that aren't fist pumping 18-35 year olds are either thugs who want to rob you, soccer moms who want to call the police on you ("but officer, ohh, let me tell you! He's driving through this neighborhood at six o'clock in the evening! Ohh, those people shouldn't be out this late") or some yuppie who wants to look at you like he/she might look at an insect.

Also, people in this state are just plain are not very intelligent. The average Jersyian couldn't read his or her way through a book of matches, let alone a book that didn't have anything to do with school...ohh, and even at the universities, studying takes a pack seat to fist-pumping (a kind of guido war-dance) at the club (or, as they call it, "da' club!") and doing massive amounts of drugs and alcohol, and they only get through school by cheating.

Not to mention this is a very, VERT tribal state. We are very diversed, and yet still very segregated. Mixed race anything is almost unheard of here. The difference between Jersey and some parts of the South (some, but not all of the south) is that in Jersey, racism is covered up better. Just as many, if not more, racist pricks as in "Klan country", the only difference is that here in Jersey they don't have the guts to come out and say it. The guy who makes it clear that he does not like black people I can deal with...the Guido who stars a fight with me while insisting, again, in that awful Jersey accent "HEY, I AIN'T GOT NOTTIN' 'GENST BLACK PEOPLE! REALLY, IT'S JUST 'DAT 'DAT DOUCHE BAG OVER 'DARE LOOKED 'A ME FUNNY!"

The people here just plain stink

2: The lack of natural beauty. So many people I say this to say "well, what about Hunterdon county!" and I say...what about Hunterdon county? People here in Jersey think that an exurb counts as natural beauty. Every so called "state park" is located within no more then ten miles of yet another racial segregated suburb filled with well to do snobs trying to stay away from non-whites and their guido, club hopping, alcoholic children.

Also, half of New Jersey's "open space" is actually swamp and marsh, and what little woods we do have is polluted and ugly as hell. As for mountains...are you really going to call those medium size hills which are the Ramapos and the Watchungs "mountains"? Give me a break! They're nothing but a "scenic" spot for yuppies to build their love nests.

Not to mention that majority of New Jersey is actually....

....3: sprawl, sprawl, and more and more sprawl. Jersey doesn't really have too many towns and villages, just suburbs away from everything and ugly McMansions. Real, honest to goodness towns, which are getting rarer and rarer in America as it is, are few and far between in Jersey. And if you don't like the 'burbs, you can always go to...

4: The ghettos. Every single city in Jersey with one exception, that I'll get to, is a ghetto. Newark: Ghetto. Elizabeth: Ghetto. New Brunswick: Ghetto. Perth Amboy:Ghetto. Jersey City:Ghetto(except for that yuppie part by the water that cost a million dollars for a studio) Trenton:Ghetto Camden: SUPER GHETTO.

I mean, most cities have a bad area, but in Jersey, the city IS the bad area. Just high crime everywhere, and you can't even legally carry a gun like you can in other places to defend yourself. None of the cities are nice...except Princeton, WITH A CETCH! The Cetch, is that Princeton is overpriced as overpriced can be, and "people of color" are not welcome. It's like a bunch of snobby, racist-yet-liberal-voting chumps got together and made Princeton their own little enclave, and priced anyone else out.

Funny, they have no problem voting for a black president...they just don't want a black family living next door to them

5: The congestion. People in Jersey live in suburbs...but they have the same traffic as people living in most cities. Yahh, gas is cheaper in Jersey, but the fact that you spend so much time idling that it makes up for it. You will still have to drive four hours to get somewhere in Jersey just like you might in Nebraska...only difference is, instead of lush scenary and countryside, all you'll see is the brake light of the car infront of you and ghetto or plastic suburbs, and the place that takes you four hours to get there is only ten miles away.

6: The crime. Pretty self explanatory. We have a ton of crime in this state and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Worst yet, you can't even carry a gun in Jersey like you can in other states. I mean, Alaska has some crime problems too, but at least there a citizen can carry a gun to defend himself or herself. Here? You get caught with a spitball and they look you up for ten to life.

7: Nanny state. Laws against everything. Why not just cut the red tape and just come out and say it: fun is officially outlawed in the state of New Jsersey. No guns, no tinted windows, no fireworks, bars close early, and even a measure to ban bikini waxes! I would not be suprised if the FBI used this thread to tract me down and I'll get a fine in Jersey for "complaining without a permit".

8: The price of living. With the exception of gasoline (which, as I explained above, really isn't an exception) everything in Jersey cost more. Granted, we have more millionares per capita then any other state, so the high prices are sustained. Car insurance, rent, utlities, groceries, you name it.

With crime and congestion and the price of living, Jersey is all the big city problems, with none of the big city perks.

So, please, if you are thinking about moving here, reconsider. Try Upstate New York if you want somewhere to commute to the city from, or PA if you need to commute to Philly. But please, as someone who has lived here is whole life (but I do not now, nor have every considered myself to be, a native) don't come to Jersey.

And yes, I am moving. I have medical issues that have delayed a move YET AGAIN, but soon, I will say so long to Jersey and be in Washington or Oregon, never to see a Guido again

Last edited by victorianpunk; 11-08-2009 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:22 PM

195 posts, read 491,951 times
LOL, well put.

http://escapefromjersey.blogspot.com/

Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
This thread will have legs.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:03 PM

82 posts, read 139,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
LOL, well put.

Escape From NJ
Although rife with typos and grammatical errors.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:06 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Hillarious loved the rant. Jersey certainly isn't for everyone!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
You still can't get over the guido thing.
I grew up there in a different type of area and guidos were not an issue.
There were other issues - just not that.

You will always be the same self-loather because you came from an uneducated background and you blame it on your ethnicity. You could have gotten an education and been gone long ago.

You have the worst chip on your shoulder-probably the worst I have ever encountered on this board. It will follow you to timbuktu.

It's medical issues now- all from the neck up I would say.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
You still can't get over the guido thing.
I grew up there in a different type of area and guidos were not an issue.
There were other issues - just not that.
I am sure there are areas of Texas in which there are no cowboys as well, and areas of Vermont where there are no hippies...

Quote:
You will always be the same self-loather because you came from an uneducated background and you blame it on your ethnicity. You could have gotten an education and been gone long ago.
I have to years of college and have read more then the entire summer time population of Belmar put together (not saying much, I know) I never mentioned my ethnicity, and yet you bring it up. Is this more of that barely contained Jersey racism?
Quote:
You have the worst chip on your shoulder-probably the worst I have ever encountered on this board. It will follow you to timbuktu.
The chip is indeed the size of a Jersey haircut, which is to say, quite large indeed, but as soon as I get out of this hell hole, I am sure it will get better.

Quote:
It's medical issues now- all from the neck up I would say.
As opposed to these guys who have them from the brow up:

And if you notice, I did mention OTHER groups aside from guidos, like the thugs, the yuppies, the snobs, the soccer moms etc.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:02 PM

94 posts, read 330,664 times
Don't forget Irvington on your ghetto list.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 PM

82 posts, read 139,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I am sure there are areas of Texas in which there are no cowboys as well,...
I lived and traveled through Texas for seven years, and cowboys are to be found throughout the state. And might I add, they're the salt of the earth. I should've married one! (I'd also like to add that George W. Bush is NOT representative of cowboys--at all!)

Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Cfan View Post
I lived and traveled through Texas for seven years, and cowboys are to be found throughout the state. And might I add, they're the salt of the earth. I should've married one! (I'd also like to add that George W. Bush is NOT representative of cowboys--at all!)

Well, then, you prove my point. Just as there are cowboys all over Texas (and I have nothing against cowboys) and just as there are hippies all over Vermont (and I have nothing against hippies) there are guidos all over Jersey...and yes, I do have something against gudios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey