Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,062 times

Advertisements

I have just moved to central New Jersey from
San Antonio TX and am looking for San Antonio style Tex-Mex food. Can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,604 times
Sadly, pat1618, I think you're out of luck. I recently moved from Austin, TX to Summit, NJ, and I've heard that the Tex-Mex-Mexican here is pretty abysmal overall. People have been recommending Casa Maya in (or near) Meyersville as a good alternative. I've yet to try it but the menu sounds promising: there are good chile rellenos options, and it appears that they make their beans with lard and that the rice is pretty good.

On the bright side, there are a lot of Central and South American cuisines to explore which can easily be had in the Plainsfields. I fell in love with a few Brazilian and Colombian places in Austin, and I learned how to make a mean ropa vieja (stewed meet, kinda like jazzed up brisket) and maduros (sweet plantains with lime and garlic--delicious) myself while I was in Texas--you can get it to go here really easily. You won't find the equivalent of Texas-style breakfast tacos anywhere here, but if you can adjust to a different style of eating, you'll be fine. BTW, I would love to learn to make homemade tortillas and tamales that I'm used to--PM me if you'd like to learn more. Those homemade tortillas at Austin taco trucks are just so good. But, there is no match for the bagels here in Jersey in comparison to Texas, and the Italian deli blows anything in Texas away. These are just my first impressions--I haven't even made it into the city yet as a Jersey resident. A friend of mine tells me there are awesome empanadas in Morristown; these may not be the Mexican ones you are used to, but rather Central and South American sweet and savory ones. OK, this is long, but I love talking about food! Overall, outside of the dearth of good Mexican food, NJ and NY are way better than TX in terms of food.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,861 times
I see you are in Central Jersey, but the best I have ever had is at Rattlesnake Ranch in Denville, NJ. The menu is so diverse and delicious! Rattlesnake Ranch Cafe - Denville NJ - NJ Mexican Restaurants - Morris County Mexican Restaurants - New Jersey Mexican Restaurants - New Jersey Outdoor Dining - Morris County Outdoor Dining - NJ Outdoor Dining, NJ Sports Bars - New Jersey Sports Bars

A close second favorite is Mexicali Rose in Montclair, though I did like it much better before they were taken over by the new owners. Mexicali Rose

Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1618 View Post
San Antonio TX and am looking for San Antonio style Tex-Mex food. Can anyone help me?
You are used to San Antonio Tex Mex?

In that case, Pat, the answer is no. That would be like me going into the San Antonio forum and asking where I can find a high quality thin crust Neopolitan pizza.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:02 AM

91 posts, read 274,966 times
Senoritas in bloomfield should do the trick....

Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,870 times
Jose Tejas? Maybe?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOOZ View Post
Senoritas in bloomfield should do the trick....
I saw their ad in NJ Monthly. Is it really worth the trip?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1618 View Post
Pat - the good news is that you are now living in an area where there is no shortage of fine cuisine. In NJ (and NY) you are really hard pressed to find a really BAD restaurant of any genre.

That being said, I have heard that outside of the Southwest, it's pretty hard to find outstanding Tex-Mex. Like Mike said, it's like trying to find authentic, good pizza in Texas ... very hard to find.

I have eaten Tex-Mex in Arizona, and it was good, but I think quite comparable to what we have here in NJ, to be honest.

I like Jose Tejas in Woodbridge. I believe there is also a place in Red Bank that is supposed to be outstanding....I have not eaten there, however.

For MEXICAN (not Tex Mex), you should come up to Jersey City to Taqueria. It's outstanding, and as authentic as it comes.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Jose Tejas? Maybe?
that was the first thing that came to my mind. people love it. my brother loves it, i think its ok. im a big fan of chevys.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that was the first thing that came to my mind. people love it. my brother loves it, i think its ok. im a big fan of chevys.
I like Chevy's too although many people will knock it because its "chain food". I really don't care though...I like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey