Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,612 times

Advertisements

I just got back from visiting a client in Garfield and since it was around lunch time, I decided to stop off at Golden Eagle in Garfield for potato pancakes, then over to D'Anna's on the Lodi/Garfield line for some black and whites and sfogliatelle.

People can complain all they want, but North Jersey has some of the best food in the country. What do they have elsewhere? Sweet tea and BBQ? Yeah, that's original.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 12:58 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Yum...............looks real good

Old 09-27-2007, 12:59 PM

90 posts, read 362,263 times
I absolutely love that you took pictures of your food!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:04 PM

I take picture of my food all the time. I am Italian, and a good meal can bring me to tears!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:08 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,407 times
Looks yummy! Especially the black & white! Do they also sell Linzer tarts?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post

People can complain all they want, but North Jersey has some of the best food in the country. What do they have elsewhere? Sweet tea and BBQ? Yeah, that's original.
See, now, a comment like that makes it sound as if the potato pancake and the black-and-white are NJ originals. In reality, the potato pancake traces it's origins back to Eastern Europe, and was made popular in the NY/NJ area by all of the immigrants who came from there in the last century. The black-and-white is actually claimed to have originated in NYC, so now you're just latching on to your neighbors across the river and the folks across the big pond

In the south, however, there's much more to lay claim to than sweet tea and BBQ. I never thought I'd say it, but grits, collard greens and fried okra are excellent, and are true southern originals. Like your potato pancakes and B-W's, they'll kill you if you eat enough of them over time, but they're great nonetheless.

Ohh, and y'all don't have a problem snappin' up plenty of KFC and Chick-Fil-A (both southern originals), now, do you? lol

Bob

Old 09-27-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
See, now, a comment like that makes it sound as if the potato pancake and the black-and-white are NJ originals. In reality, the potato pancake traces it's origins back to Eastern Europe, and was made popular in the NY/NJ area by all of the immigrants who came from there in the last century. The black-and-white is actually claimed to have originated in NYC, so now you're just latching on to your neighbors across the river and the folks across the big pond

In the south, however, there's much more to lay claim to than sweet tea and BBQ. I never thought I'd say it, but grits, collard greens and fried okra are excellent, and are true southern originals. Like your potato pancakes and B-W's, they'll kill you if you eat enough of them over time, but they're great nonetheless.

Ohh, and y'all don't have a problem snappin' up plenty of KFC and Chick-Fil-A (both southern originals), now, do you? lol

Bob
I see what you're saying, but I have family in Charlotte, Atlanta, and Greenville, SC and the food there is nothing to write home about. I know these aren't NJ originals, but the people that come over here make sure they hold true to their traditions and share their eats so the rest of us can experience and enjoy it.

Too much of anything will kill you eventually.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
I've only been one place down south where I thought the food was great!!!
New Orleans!! Usual southern fare..country fired steak, sweet tea..okra, red eye gravy ugh...it's fat artery clogging food..I know I know Italian cooking, Spanish cooking et al has fat artery clogging food as well difference being it has TASTE...jmo

Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I just got back from visiting a client in Garfield and since it was around lunch time, I decided to stop off at Golden Eagle in Garfield for potato pancakes, then over to D'Anna's on the Lodi/Garfield line for some black and whites and sfogliatelle.

sorry, i've presented the same argument, it's not a good enough reason...move on lol

Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Bob
i like collard greens and fried okra. never had grits. KFC makes me gag, and i don't eat chick-fil-a. is there anything originally southern that's a mainstay up here? (serious question)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey