Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times

Advertisements

The murder rate is way down, but don't people from NYC still move to New Jersey? NYC isn't really a dangerous place anymore, but I think most people want their kids to have a backyard, nice neighborhood school, all that jazz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Well where I live considering the fact it's barely daylight out when the kids have to go for the bus, no sidewalks, deer, bear and other critters I don't blame parents for driving their kids to the school bus and keeping them in the car until bus arrrives.

In urban areas it may not be fear that your child is going to be abducted but fear the school bullies will beat up on your kid....being abducted, why it does happen every day there are other hazards that kids are more then likely to encounter on the way to school

This brings to mind the little girl in FL last month who became upset with her older sibling walking home from school and she took off ahead only to be found dead in a landfill across the border in GA

Chin....do watch or listen to the news at all

Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 AM

127 posts, read 311,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
Not alone, but with a group of kids to walk to school with. If that's not an option, then sure, a ride in the car is appropriate. Also, it depends on where you live. In the area where I'm at, there are crossing guards along the way to the schools. If that's not the case where you are, then I can understand the extra measure of caution.

Amazingly, throughout most of the past century, 99.99999% of kids walked to school without ever being kidnapped or molested. Giving your kids a ride to school out of fear of them being abducted were they to walk, is like having them carry around a dose of anti-venom because they might get bitten by a snake.

Did you and/or your friends walk to school as a child? If so, do you consider your parents to have been irresponsible for letting you?

Also, shouldn't we encourage our kids to get outside and get some exercise? One of the biggest criticisms about kids today is that so many of them are lazy and overweight. Walking to school each day would be a great start towards getting them to burn off some excess energy; again, provided they do so with a group of kids for safety's sake.
This isn't just in NJ and it's not everywhere in NJ. It's the same everywhere in the whole country. Another troll post of yours, like someone said perfectly "a complaint just to complain" like all your complaints.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
I'm sorry, but I also think the amount of coddling today's kids receive is ridiculous. They are way too protected, which is probably the reason why now they are staying at home until they are 37 years old instead of getting their own life.

Think about it, there is a law now that says that parents can keep their kids on their health insurance until they are 31 years old. I'm I the only one that thinks that this is insane?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 AM

195 posts, read 491,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well where I live considering the fact it's barely daylight out when the kids have to go for the bus, no sidewalks, deer, bear and other critters I don't blame parents for driving their kids to the school bus and keeping them in the car until bus arrrives.

In urban areas it may not be fear that your child is going to be abducted but fear the school bullies will beat up on your kid....being abducted, why it does happen every day there are other hazards that kids are more then likely to encounter on the way to school

This brings to mind the little girl in FL last month who became upset with her older sibling walking home from school and she took off ahead only to be found dead in a landfill across the border in GA

Chin....do watch or listen to the news at all
Of course I watch the news and see and hear about all of the terrible abductions. But, that was the case in the 80's, also. Remember Adam Walsh? Despite that case, and others like it, our parents still let us walk to school, and we were fine.

But, on the other hand, perhaps the media is half the problem. While, according the crime statistics, child abductions were more frequent in the 80's then they are today, I think we tend to hear about them much more often these days. With 24 hour a day news stations, and folks like Nancy Grace and Greta Van Susteren that base their careers on discussing and trumpeting such crimes, along with internet news exposing us to crimes that we would never have heard about otherwise, perhaps the overload of bad news is what has caused us to perceive the world as more threatening, when in fact it's less so.

And Kelly, I agree with you, this is by no means just a New Jersey issue. But, considering that NJ has many suburbs that are considered safe, I ask myself, if they are so safe, then why not let your kids walk to school? (barring of course illness, special needs, lack of crossing guards, etc.)

Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 AM

127 posts, read 311,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
Of course I watch the news and see and hear about all of the terrible abductions. But, that was the case in the 80's, also. Remember Adam Walsh? Despite that case, and others like it, our parents still let us walk to school, and we were fine.

But, on the other hand, perhaps the media is half the problem. While, according the crime statistics, child abductions were more frequent in the 80's then they are today, I think we tend to hear about them much more often these days. With 24 hour a day news stations, and folks like Nancy Grace and Greta Van Susteren that base their careers on discussing and trumpeting such crimes, along with internet news exposing us to crimes that we would never have heard about otherwise, perhaps the overload of bad news is what has caused us to perceive the world as more threatening, when in fact it's less so.

And Kelly, I agree with you, this is by no means just a New Jersey issue. But, considering that NJ has many suburbs that are considered safe, I ask myself, if they are so safe, then why not let your kids walk to school? (barring of course illness, special needs, lack of crossing guards, etc.)
I'm glad you agree with me because then you would agree that bringing up a nationally-wide problem has nothing to do with a thread specifically on NJ being the place to be. Parents are ridiculous these days but that's everywhere, probably worse where my friends live in Atlanta and Raleigh suburbs where they spoil rotten their kids, they all think they are special because they all live in $200,000 mcmansions with 4 bedrooms 3 baths, so they all think their kids should be driven to General Lee Kindergarten in the family SUV, just burning gas for their little prince and princess. NJ is probably better than most states, so your bringing up this topic is WAY off topic in this thread, like across town off topic, like you took a bus you took a transfer.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:37 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
The murder rate is way down, but don't people from NYC still move to New Jersey? NYC isn't really a dangerous place anymore, but I think most people want their kids to have a backyard, nice neighborhood school, all that jazz.
yup, i know plenty.

don't let CD fool you

Old 11-19-2009, 08:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
You know, when New Yorkers "that made it" came over here for "a better life" since NYC had the most murders in the country between the late 80s and the early 90s?
you live in the worst area in new jersey.

where i live is where people go to for a better life. where you live is where people wish they could get out of.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:08 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
its still in Jersey. In SOUTH Jersey..
Where are you getting these stats from? Where is the breakdown of crimes and the % of people (# of crimes against amount of people)?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm sorry, but I also think the amount of coddling today's kids receive is ridiculous. They are way too protected, which is probably the reason why now they are staying at home until they are 37 years old instead of getting their own life.

Think about it, there is a law now that says that parents can keep their kids on their health insurance until they are 31 years old. I'm I the only one that thinks that this is insane?
Are you kidding...31??? Is there some provision like the child is handicapped or something or any lazy bum living in Mom's basement can continue to be insured
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey