Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:17 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times

Advertisements

Yeah the courts really screwed over the state with the Abbott decision. But then again when have the courts in NJ ever really represented the people?

If Newark wants more money for its schools then Newark either needs to increase taxes or cut its bloated budget. The rest of the state is getting fed up for paying for the corruption and bumbling of our urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 01:31 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah the courts really screwed over the state with the Abbott decision. But then again when have the courts in NJ ever really represented the people?

If Newark wants more money for its schools then Newark either needs to increase taxes or cut its bloated budget. The rest of the state is getting fed up for paying for the corruption and bumbling of our urban areas.
I saw "The States" on the History Channel the other night and they profiled N.J. They said that 90% of the population live in the urban centers. The suburban and rural areas will always be screwed, blued and tattooed.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:46 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
If 73% of your tax money is going to your schools, you've got a sweet deal going. Are you in an Abbott School district by any chance?

When the taxpayers of NJ's cities like Newark, Camden, Trenton etc. are only paying 10% or so of the cost of running their cities, where do think the 90% is coming from? The Feds? Not hardly.

We do have an accountable and somewhat efficient local govt. The urban centers don't because they don't have to as they've got the political clout to get more and more money without having to account for where it gets spent.

The state doles out the money and it ain't going back to the middle class and above suburbs. This isn't heresay, it's been written about extensively in the MSM (e.g. Star Ledger, Asbury Park Press).

This state is a corrupt money pit and people are leaving in droves.
i don't live in an abbott district - I'm in one of the most republican (read:RICH) areas of this state. i just pulled out the tax bill and 20% is the regional school tax - of which I assume part goes to fund Abbott. It's not an outrageous amount.

i'm not going to argue that abbott funds are not wasted or a disproportionate amount of $$$ goes to urban areas. there's waste and inequity everywhere, even outside of this state. *shrug*. I'm not going to let it consume me. Do I wish my taxes were lower? Of course.

Also, NJ is NUMBER 50! is federal funds received -vs- tax paid. Where's the outrage for the Fed. Gov? (we get .55 for every $1). The state that gets the most? New Mexico - $2 for every $1 paid. This sounds like NJ's issue on a national scale, doesn't it?

I can tell by your posts that you dislike Corzine with a passion, but honestly, partisian politics aside, he's the first guv since I can remember (including Christy) who is actually trying to DO something about rising property taxes, and that still isn't good enough? He's also made changes within the state WRT state workers and bennies. Time will tell if he's successful, but geez....

I don't know - I'm content with my lot in life, and feel fortunate I can afford the COL here. If I couldn't, I'd do something about it other than bi***. I read other state boards, and everyone everywhere have their own crosses to bear, whether it's crappy wages, explosive growth and all the ills assoc. with it, crappy taxes -vs- pay, crappy laws, corrupt government. SSDS.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:46 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i don't live in an abbott district - I'm in one of the most republican (read:RICH) areas of this state. i just pulled out the tax bill and 20% is the regional school tax - of which I assume part goes to fund Abbott. It's not an outrageous amount.

i'm not going to argue that abbott funds are not wasted or a disproportionate amount of $$$ goes to urban areas. there's waste and inequity everywhere, even outside of this state. *shrug*. I'm not going to let it consume me. Do I wish my taxes were lower? Of course.

Also, NJ is NUMBER 50! is federal funds received -vs- tax paid. Where's the outrage for the Fed. Gov? (we get .55 for every $1). The state that gets the most? New Mexico - $2 for every $1 paid. This sounds like NJ's issue on a national scale, doesn't it?

I can tell by your posts that you dislike Corzine with a passion, but honestly, partisian politics aside, he's the first guv since I can remember (including Christy) who is actually trying to DO something about rising property taxes, and that still isn't good enough? He's also made changes within the state WRT state workers and bennies. Time will tell if he's successful, but geez....

I don't know - I'm content with my lot in life, and feel fortunate I can afford the COL here. If I couldn't, I'd do something about it other than bi***. I read other state boards, and everyone everywhere have their own crosses to bear, whether it's crappy wages, explosive growth and all the ills assoc. with it, crappy taxes -vs- pay, crappy laws, corrupt government. SSDS.
Re:

N.J being #50 - Lautenberg, when asked why we are on the short end of that stick, went on to say "N.J.'s a wealthy state" Thanks for looking out for N.M and W.V. Frank.

Corzine - I don't dislike anybody I'm at odds with politically with a passion. I'm not that into it.

My mistake was that I got somewhat passionate, in a positive way, with his pre-election speeches. And I'm old enought to know better.

Bi**ing- I consider most of what goes on here and most personal interests forums as nothing more than just healthy debate and argument. To me, if you at least get your a** out and vote, you can join in on the fun. If I were really into sports, I'd probably get into that action.

Waste - Of course there's waste and corruption everywhere. I just think N.J.'s living up to it's reputation as excessively so. And that's too bad because it makes it difficult for so many to stay here. I can afford it here too. We live quite well. I just want to believe I'm getting my money's worth and that we don't become a haves and have nots state.

It seems like our state govt. is content with making N.J. a state people gladly flee from.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,429 times
The best place to live in NJ I think it's Bergen County.
Bergen County has the best schools and it’s very close to the city. However Bergen County can be a little bit pricey. It all depends on your budget. I think that the best solution is to buy a small house and build an addition like I did. This way you'll get much more for your money. If you'll decide to do that I strongly recommend Bergen Remodeling. They do a great job and have reasonable prices.
The job is done on time and there are no " surprises" in the way.

You can check some pictures of my house on their website www.BergenRemodeling.com

Old 05-23-2007, 11:16 AM

783 posts, read 2,587,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
bwahahaha!!you need to get clued in! NJ govt giving breaks, you gotta be kidding.

first off there will be no 20% reduction that was just another scam used by the democraps to get elected, secondly if your family makes over 80k a year, forget about getting rebates. thirdly if you make over 120k a year you'll get hit with the federal AMT and lose all deductions.

government is the new organized crime, sucking all it can from the citizens
Tax breaks depend on situation
1-Marital status- single / married
2-Single or multi-family home

A- relative living in Newark and a co-worker living in West New York get little tax breaks from State of NJ and Fed. Relative single and a private realtor with multi- family home -no dependent-less than 80k per year. Co-worker single and loan officer with multifamily home and dependents-over 90k per year. Relative get slight less tax break from NJ than Co-worker- I'm excluding the Feds.

From conversation with them, the question is
1-"What is homer owner's marital status and what which type of home do you possess-multi or single family ?"
2-"What is your gross income per year?"

Old 05-24-2007, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 27,786 times
THe best place to raise a family is probably somewhere outside of NJ. THat is why I moved to Charlotte a while back. IT is a very family friendly area that you would be smart to look into. NJ is nice, but its golden age has passed I am afraid to admit.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:10 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1971 View Post
THe best place to raise a family is probably somewhere outside of NJ. THat is why I moved to Charlotte a while back. IT is a very family friendly area that you would be smart to look into. NJ is nice, but its golden age has passed I am afraid to admit.
DITTO on THAT, Brian!
Although I do have to admit, I am slightly homesick now and then (family and friends). A think a visit to Jersey for a couple of days will take care of that.....and then I'll probably want to come running back to Charlotte.
New Jersey is a nice place to visit, not a nice place to live, unfortunately.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:35 PM

548 posts, read 2,648,160 times
I think the best place in NJ to live is Summit, but you'd better be ready to open your wallet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey