Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times

Advertisements

Montclair is a good bet.

But other suggestions I'd add on is Maplewood, West Orange, Union, and Roselle Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 12:42 AM

303 posts, read 752,745 times
Y not Jersey City? Coming from Manhantten, JC is the closest to what your use to there are good schools here and the subarbs arent always racially accepting. i;m Hispanic nad have had to deal some racial incidents. JC has a very diverse community, its the most diverse city on the east coast( being porptional to its size). adn if your willing to spend that much a month then you'll have no problem finding a place to live

Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 AM

21 posts, read 48,946 times
Thank You all for your responses. JC is very nice, but I have not heard very good things about the schools.. Please correct me if I am wrong..
Someone reccomeneded we look in Woodbridge or Iselin.. in middlesex county.. does anyone know about these towns?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:40 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl1275 View Post
Thank You all for your responses. JC is very nice, but I have not heard very good things about the schools.. Please correct me if I am wrong..
Someone reccomeneded we look in Woodbridge or Iselin.. in middlesex county.. does anyone know about these towns?
Besides the top rated McNair academy high school, the public schools in JC aren't that well regarded. If you're moving there, you'd want to consider other options (Catholic schools, private schools, charter schools)

Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Also in North Brunswick...my sister is white, her husband is black, and neither they nor their daughter ever had any issues in the town. They lived there about ten years, just moved as daughter is 21 and moved out so they are downsizing.

Of course the posters are correct that there are no guarantees of living anywhere in the universe that is racist-free. I have an Archie Bunkerish cousin who is still spouting racist crap like it's 1956. It's like living next to a train--no one even hears him anymore. However, the majority of people even in predominantly white towns are not likely to cause you any trouble.

My sister and her husband have been married for thirty years and have always lived in northern New Jersey. She has seen the change over the years from when they would be the only interracial couple in the mall and people would stare, to now, when no one gives them a second glance and they are certainly not the only such couple out and about. The chances of anyone giving you a hard time are slim.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 PM

171 posts, read 446,867 times
Default Try Teaneck

Very Diverse town......

Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 PM

129 posts, read 380,765 times
I have mixed children. I recommend: Montclair, So. Orange. Maplewood, Metuchen, So. Plainfield, Iselin (Indian), North Plainfield, and Union (though I'm not all that familiar with Union.)

Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Anyone thought of Hackensack?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 PM

303 posts, read 752,745 times
Quote:
Mcnair high school is rated one of the top HS in the country, it is public but limited to only 600 students I think. Also there is Liberty HS whicb is also a good HS not as great as and is also public but limited mcNair, just don't send ur child to Dickinson,Lincoln, Ferris, or Synder HS.. elementary schools are fair in certain areas. The Heights and Downtown have the best elemantary schools in the city

Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,838 times
[quote=El Dakar;11820395][quote]

Quote:

Mod cut: personal attack.While there are some towns in New Jersey that seem to welcome, encourage, and/or celebrate diversity, the vast majority of towns are predominately of one racial group, or segregated. There is not a doubt in my mind that if a bi-racial couple moved into any one of the plethora of all white towns, that they would undoubtedly be met with some form of adversity. Whether it be in the form of exclusion from social gatherings, to a more overt type of discrimination. Did you know that there is an organized group of the Ku Klux Klan in Sayreville? In Millville? In Helmetta also? I am not insinuating that most white towns would burn a cross on the lawn of a bi-racial couple, but to suggest that they would welcome them with open arms is a fantasy. I would suggest avoiding Sayreville, Millville, Helmetta, and all of the towns that surround them. I would also avoid many of the upper-middle-class towns of Somerset County. There is a lot of old-school blue-blooded racism flowing around those towns. Avoid Sussex County, too. It just is not worth the chance that you will move near some narrow-minded bigot in these areas.

While there are a lot of towns I would certainly advise a bi-racial couple to avoid, there are a few that I would recommend. Piscataway is racially and ethnically diverse, relatively safe, with a good school system. Montclair is a good choice, and probably most of Essex County. Union County should be cool. While northern Middlesex County is OK, I would avoid the southern part. In and around Morristown and Dover: thumbs up. Further out in Morris county: avoid.
Be careful in Bergen County; research the town first. I don't mean to sound unrealistic but the fact is that racism is alive and well in the Garden State,

Joseph V. Bednarsky Jr. Resigns As Ku Klux Klan Leader

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
That's not really true at all. New Jersey is more economically polarized than it is racially polarized; one just happens to lead to the other. Much of the "white flight" occured because whites in urban areas with a chance to escape were obviously going to seize the opportunity to escape poverty and crime. This doesn't mean that blacks or other minority groups aren't accepted in largely white suburbs. I live in an extremely white town and I have never seen blacks, Hispanics, or any other group excluded from any social function, whether it was a town meeting, a school-related function, etc.

People love to look for bias when there is none. New Jersey is so liberal it tends to embrace diversity to its detriment. If there are largely white areas, such as rural Northwestern NJ, it is because blacks tend not to be able to afford those areas, or they have no desire to live there. There is no housing discrimination or any town which is actually influenced by minute Klan activity.

It's interesting how you recommend Morristown and Dover, but tell the OP to avoid any of the nicer towns in Morris County. Do you realize you are recommending the only two towns in Morris County with any kind of noticeable crime rate? (Not that they are dangerous by Essex Co. standards) It's very interesting how intristically linked the crime/poverty debate and the race issue actually are.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey