Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 AM

572 posts, read 2,022,278 times

Advertisements

You are playing with fire if you do this. This is what we call in the insurance world Insurance Fraud and it is punishable by major fines as well as jail time in some instances.

Per NJ state law, if you are a permanent resident of NJ (live, vote, pay taxes) then your vehicle must be registered and insured in the state of NJ...not to mention most insurance companies require this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazattack View Post
Hey all.
I'm a new resident to nj, i currently live in west new york, which requires residents to register their cars for parking permits to park on street. I'm looking into getting a car, and so ive been looking at insurance rates. i'm a native ny-er, from upstate ny (near albany) and i looked into car insurace premiums for where i live now (in west ny) and my monthly would be around $99, whereas for the same car and coverage in upstate in my hometown, the rate was $24 per month. This is insane to me.

anyways so im considering registering my car in ny, and paying insurance as if i lived in my hometown. but in that instance, where i live now, i wouldnt be able to park my car in my town, as i wouldnt have jersey plates.

what im wondering, is what areas of jersey, within close commute to nyc (where i work) do and dont permit street parking of nonresidents? in the summer im looking to move a little farther from the city, maybe to elizabeth or union city, edison, etc.

and also if anyone has the heads up on car insurance rates (maybe its cheaper in other areas of nj?) and why its so damn expensive where i live, please do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazattack View Post
Hey all.
I'm a new resident to nj, i currently live in west new york, which requires residents to register their cars for parking permits to park on street. I'm looking into getting a car, and so ive been looking at insurance rates. i'm a native ny-er, from upstate ny (near albany) and i looked into car insurace premiums for where i live now (in west ny) and my monthly would be around $99, whereas for the same car and coverage in upstate in my hometown, the rate was $24 per month. This is insane to me.

anyways so im considering registering my car in ny, and paying insurance as if i lived in my hometown. but in that instance, where i live now, i wouldnt be able to park my car in my town, as i wouldnt have jersey plates.

what im wondering, is what areas of jersey, within close commute to nyc (where i work) do and dont permit street parking of nonresidents? in the summer im looking to move a little farther from the city, maybe to elizabeth or union city, edison, etc.

and also if anyone has the heads up on car insurance rates (maybe its cheaper in other areas of nj?) and why its so damn expensive where i live, please do tell.

your car is much more likely to get dinged up on the streets of west ny than in a nice residential town outside of albany. it's just how insurance works.

and what you're considering is called insurance fraud. but to each their own...but FYI, if you ever need to utilize your insurance, you insurer will drop you or ask you to back pay as soon as they run your credit report for a claim and see your name on a lease in west ny.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:38 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
in the case that you're a student, living off campus, you'd have to see about the town's policy for that. most likely you're out of luck, and will need to pay for a private parking space.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Do you have any utility bills in your name here in NJ? If you do, you live here whether you like it or not. Another law you may not be aware of is that if you plan on driving in NJ (now that weve established you DO live here) you only have 60 days to surrender your NY license and get a NJ license.
That is not true. When I was in Iowa for college I paid utility bills, apartment rent and so on but my car was legally registered in NJ and I was even able to get Iowa insurance on it because that's where the car was. I was a legal resident of NJ residing in Iowa. This was all completely legal and done through an Allstate insurance agent. There are provisions for your type of situation and it is not insurance fraud. Call the local police stations and find out how to get a non-resident parking permit. They must have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey