Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I can't win- last time I got chastised for calling Indians "Middle Eastern"- I was told that they're actually "Asians". And now this....

From now on, I'm going to consider everyone as either "Caucasian" or "non-Caucasian"- I'll probably get corrected on that somewhere along the line too....lol.
Aw-I wasn't chastising I thought the smiley faces would have conveyed that. Actually, I've been waiting for a chance to use that line since I heard my friends say it, and I was just glad you provided the opportunity. heehee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 10:37 PM

300 posts, read 914,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I can't win- last time I got chastised for calling Indians "Middle Eastern"- I was told that they're actually "Asians". And now this....

From now on, I'm going to consider everyone as either "Caucasian" or "non-Caucasian"- I'll probably get corrected on that somewhere along the line too....lol.
Because you are so ignorant about geography. Calling Indians as Middle eastern is analogous to calling Americans as Europeans.

If it was genuine mistake then I am sorry for harsh words.

It comes to my nerves when people are so oblivious to their surroundings.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:05 AM

26 posts, read 105,145 times
Short list of useful terms:

East Asian - Chinese, Korean, Japanese
South Asian - Indians (from India)
South East Asian - Thai, Cambodian, Laotian, Philippino, etc.
Middle Eastern - Iraqi, Iranian, Kuwaiti, Qatarian, Saudi Arabian, etc.

All of the above are technically "Asian". Asia is a big place, after all! But you can see just saying "Asian" isn't very informative. And "Oriental" is considered derogatory by many Asians and Asian-Americans due to its colonial/Imperialistic associations from the 19th century.

Hope that helps! It can be very confusing, but worthwhile getting it right so as not to appear prejudiced, ignorant or willfully narrow-minded.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:48 AM

300 posts, read 914,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWay View Post

All of the above are technically "Asian". Asia is a big place, after all! But you can see just saying "Asian" isn't very informative. And "Oriental" is considered derogatory by many Asians and Asian-Americans due to its colonial/Imperialistic associations from the 19th century.

Hope that helps! It can be very confusing, but worthwhile getting it right so as not to appear prejudiced, ignorant or willfully narrow-minded.
Nice informative post, atleast some of our friends here can learn geography which they skipped while in school.

Indians are subset of "asians" but calling them "Middle Eastern" is just plain misleading for someone who comes to the forum for making one of the biggest decision of their life (moving to new place is according to me one of most thought provoking decisions).

OP please take some of the opinions with grain of salt, I read someone said northern highland park is nicer and expensive than norther edison, which is completely wrong. I would say its other way around.

After all these bashing, let me give advice about your original question. if you want to stay in central jersey, I think value wise North Brunswick is the best. East Brunswick and North Edison is best school system around. Dont even thing about highland park or new brunswick. South brunswick is good but its a stretch for you if you commute to North. Avoid somerset and franklin park (ouch rt. 27 is unbearable). Woodbridge is good but I would rather stay in north edison. Also you can go to google maps and search for various business to judge the areas (for eg. search for cash checking)

But I would say, hold on buying house till next year, you will thank me for saving thousands of dollars. Real estate is going down in this area so its advisable to wait. Though there are lot of realtors on this site and they would contradict about market being down.

Last edited by practicalposts; 10-14-2006 at 11:31 AM..

Old 10-14-2006, 11:20 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWay View Post

Actually, it's a bit trickier in that while technically Asian due to their geography, the US Census Bureau does not consider people tracing their ancestry to the Middle East as Asian. Iraqis, Kurds, Lebanese, Turks, Egyptians, Persians and Saudis are all considered "white" by Census definitions. Dearborn, Michigan is actually almost 90% white by Census definitions, but when you look closer at the facts, you realize that the city is in fact 30% Arab (mostly Lebanese, Iraqi and Yemeni) so it can be a bit misleading. Many people, both Middle Eastern and non, feel this is inaccurate to group Middle Easterners are white due to physical and cultural differences and the fact that especially post-9/11, many Middle Easterners feel that they themselves are looked at as minorities. In Canada, there is a term "West Asian" that they use in their Census figures to differentiate, and this covers most Middle Easterners.

And don't even get me started on the contradictions and exceptions the Census Bureau has as to who is considered Latino....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey