Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Like I said, I don't understand this rule. So state workers are supposed to pay their salaries with their own money? if you work for GM, are you forced to buy a GM car to drive up profits so that the company can pay you? If you are an accountant, are you told that you must have your personal accounts with your company? the list goes on and on. Like I said in my other post, it's a job...that's it. Lets not try to make this out to be more than it really is. Does this mean we can't outsource the IT dept of a state dept to India because they don't live in NJ even though it will save money? it just makes no sense

What? this makes no sense to me yeahboy. I am not forced to pay the salaries, pensions of overpaid GE employees and neither are you. Also all other County and possibly State employees are not permitted to apply for promotional yet when it comes to the sheriffs depts all of a sudden that's allowed either that or the public has no idea this has been happening. We many not be able force them to move in the County they are employed and salaries paid by taxpayers but at least make them make up for it one way or another by stopping the promotions, especially when there are other employees who are County residents or force them into retirement without a buyout and at the beginning salary they made when they moved out of the County and/or State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
You work in NJ you pay income tax in NJ. You live out of state you aren't getting any benefits from the city or country. no kids in school, utiliees services, trash, sewers. No lose to the town or county. State still get5s paid.

You work in NJ as a public employee you get paid by the taxpaying public in that County. When you get overpaid and receive promotions you're not entitled to you due to not being a resident in that County, make more in your salary, pension, sick time, vacation time and don't have to pay for work clothes, you are over compensated for the meneial amount that you could be paying in County/State taxes. You may contribute towards the roads you use to get to the job but you don't pay towards trash since many towns only charge the residents residing in the homes they remove the trash from. I should know I used to live in a town where I paid them directly for serivices rendered to me. What about residents who have no children and have been paying for School taxes for years. They don't contribute in the form of rent, property tax, purchasing products in County businesses. I'm sure there's more.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:18 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
So what happens when residents of YOUR town are forced to dump their houses at a loss and move to the areas where they are employed. Vacant homes all over the place? Lose of taxes and those same purchases. Massive tax deductions for the loses and cost of moving.

Works both ways. Quite frankly I have no problem with a requirement to live in the state. Forcing people to live in the actual boundries...Never stand up in court and in fact it would be a violation of current state law.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
So what happens when residents of YOUR town are forced to dump their houses at a loss and move to the areas where they are employed. Vacant homes all over the place? Lose of taxes and those same purchases. Massive tax deductions for the loses and cost of moving.

Works both ways. Quite frankly I have no problem with a requirement to live in the state. Forcing people to live in the actual boundries...Never stand up in court and in fact it would be a violation of current state law.
It shouldn't be considering there are resolutions made preventing employees from moving out of State, County after being hired for the State, County, Municipality job. It's not right that sheriffs get away with it and to add insult even further they get promotions they clearly are not permitted to even apply for let alone get to take exams and receive before employees who are presently employed in the State, County, Municipality. These employees discovered they can buy bigger more expensive homes outside their working area and get promotions, keep employment ...basically take the money and run. Hmm maybe cutting them from the PBA would help. They do seem to get more pay than some Police Officers ...hell why not privatize the jails/sheriff's dept. or start allowing rent a cop have to have the same ridiculous high salaries, excessive promotions as the correction officers do, is that next?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Hmm maybe cutting them from the PBA would help.
That makes no sense. What does the PBA have to do with it?
Nor does your rambling. Do you have any idea what you are even talking about?

Quote:
You work in NJ as a public employee you get paid by the taxpaying public in that County.
So what about city employees? Maybe everyone should live on the same street. Maybe we should be able to tell you where to live.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense. What does the PBA have to do with it?
Nor does your rambling. Do you have any idea what you are even talking about?
Yes I do too bad you don't. The PBA serves members with legal counsil and union negotiations oh bright one. That has always been well known.

Quote:
So what about city employees? Maybe everyone should live on the same street. Maybe we should be able to tell you where to live.
So what about you getting a brain and realizing that State paid employees should have to live in the same stat their salaries are paid from just like the Municipal paid employees should have to live in the same municipality they are paid from.. They are paid by taxpayers not private industry. What's so hard. Just because you don't k now doesn't mean I don't.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:16 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,776,629 times
I think they should be required to live OUT OF STATE. This way they will not vote for politicians that give them sweet deals.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
The PBA serves members with legal council and union negotiations oh bright one
The NJ State PBA does not provide legal council to departments, nor does it negotiate contracts. That is done by the department members themselves and paid for by member's dues. Each agencies members also pay into a legal fund that provides that service. Once again you show your ignorance of the subject.

The state can cheer when NY does the same thing causing residents to sell out losing thousands and moving into that state. It will never pass the court challenges for current employees anyway.

Quote:
Municipal paid employees should have to live in the same municipality they are paid
So the employees of Rumson where the average cost of a home is 1.4 million can expect to be paid a salary capable of purchasing such a home? Opps, guess that theory shot to hell.

Last edited by rscalzo; 08-16-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Municipal paid employees should have to live in the same municipality they are paid from.
Very bad idea. Cops and Teachers are most of the employees, and it would be very awkward for a teenager to have his mom teaching his friends in school or his dad breaking up the parties of his HS.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 AM

13,407 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Very bad idea. Cops and Teachers are most of the employees, and it would be very awkward for a teenager to have his mom teaching his friends in school or his dad breaking up the parties of his HS.
Most police departments have a residency requirement to be hired and then for 1 year after hire. Once the year is up you can live anywhere in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey