Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 04:41 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
.. They work and negotiate their salary just like everyone else.
No. Most people get told "This is what the job pays. If you dont like it, you can find another job." They dont get guaranteed raises every year. They have good years, and they have bad years, and even those on a fixed yearly salary dont get raises every year. The negotiations are a sham, because the people negotiating are doing it with OTHER people's money.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:49 PM

272 posts, read 295,783 times
The people are not fordced to pay more then they think they should. The school creates a budget it goes for approval by the board of ed who is elected by the town people and then it goes to approval by the town. You had a say in what benefits and pay teachers got. my feelings were when things were good you were willing to pay the price for teachers.... things were good with you when things went down you want everyone to go down when your hurting everyone should hurt.. and you don't want to pay.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:58 PM

That is why instead of bringing teachers down to the situation you describe anesthesia MD you should be working so hard to make that situation you describe better. Private sector gave their power away to the big boss. I use the ex. of Anaheim Insurance who justified their 40% pay increase they had to have because they were losing customers and they had to keep their profits up..... and what were the profits and how much was the ceo making. Bringing teachers down won't fix your problem.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:00 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
The people are not fordced to pay more then they think they should. The school creates a budget it goes for approval by the board of ed who is elected by the town people and then it goes to approval by the town. You had a say in what benefits and pay teachers got. my feelings were when things were good you were willing to pay the price for teachers.... things were good with you when things went down you want everyone to go down when your hurting everyone should hurt.. and you don't want to pay.

Like in the real world circumstances changed. When my company has a bad year I have a bad year, no different for public employees.

It is not a matter of "wanting to hurt" some one it is what we can afford.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Anyone who believes this is a new phenomenon is out of touch with reality. Many taxpayers have been complaining about overspending on public worker's salaries for years and years. When things got bad, we finally got enough other people on our side to actually DO something about it with their votes.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Shorebaby,

Agreed... but you must admit there is a lot of teacher bashing going on.

And if teachers are willing in these bad times to break their contracts and take a freeze would you be willing to let them break their contracts when things are good and receive a decent raise. Probably not. That I believe is one of the concerns going on with teachers.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:14 PM

I guess not enough taxpayers all they had to do was vote no.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
That is why instead of bringing teachers down to the situation you describe anesthesia MD you should be working so hard to make that situation you describe better.
Public employees get paid with money from tax payers.
Tax payers pay public employees less.
Tax payers get to keep more of their money.
Tax payers situation is better.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I guess not enough taxpayers all they had to do was vote no.
It's not that simple. Much of my taxes go to 31 OTHER districts.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Your employer says teachers with a master degree gets paid less then my employee
employer says why am I paying my employee that much capitalism.
employer you can take a cut or your fired
taxpayer situation pretty crappy

Lets all race to the bottom and see who gets their first.

Last edited by canear; 04-15-2010 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey