Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Do you fill out a 1040ES? Make estimated tax payments? If you don't, you AREN'T self employed.

You pay property taxes. The portion of your property taxes that goes to public education, in essence, contributes toward your salary.

Me? As self-employed person? No taxes I pay turn around and fund my salary in any way, shape or form.
I was using the ridiculous idea that paying taxes make me self-employed to show the ridiculous idea that AnestesiaMD paying his taxes makes me his employee.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I was thinking of moving to NJ in the future, but with Christie elected I guess I'll just stay put on Long Island. I thought we had our priorities screwed up here. But NJ elects a man who is starting a war with the middle class and the planet. He tells NJ Transit riders to "take a hike", and refuses to raise the gas tax one cent. He's OK with spending state money on useless projects like widening the Garden State Parkway in the pinelands, but yanks funds for a new bus route out of Toms River. I sure thought LI'ers were dumb, but it looks like NJ'ers take the cake for voting for him. I knew Christie would do this before he was elected. You guys had a great alternative with Daggett, and blew it.
Now you can enjoy seeing your middle class go just like ours. Teachers, bus drivers, public servants are the backbone of a community. Once they are gone, things go south fast.

Well NJ residents are among the most heavily taxed in the country. Christie is doing exactly the right thing. Cut spending to the bone and not raising taxes. Most NJ residents (those of us not on the government payroll) understand this needs to be done. Please stay on the Island they will be happy to raise your taxes. it seems that is what you want.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 PM

272 posts, read 295,783 times
Looks like his cutting to the bone has just raised my property tax while also cutting service I receive in my town and at my schools. I guess you could say "he" hasn't raised taxes he is just making the local level do it and blaming it on the teachers.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
Looks like his cutting to the bone has just raised my property tax while also cutting service I receive in my town and at my schools. I guess you could say "he" hasn't raised taxes he is just making the local level do it and blaming it on the teachers.
Nope your municipality could have cut they chose to raise taxes. You can choose to toss them out of office for doing it.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
2. If I am only getting paid during ten months why isn't it fair to work ten months?
What is relevant from the tax payers perspective is how much it costs to keep someone employed, and what the tax payer gets for his/her dollars. The tax payer doesn't really care if a public employee gets 20 paychecks a year paid twice monthly in 10 months, or if that employee receives the same amount in weekly installments.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
And now, when it hits us on the local level, we better be prepared to hit back, by insisting that the cutting continues. We can't let our local politicians play the blame Christie game. We need to tell them to cut, cut, and cut some more or we will vote them out. We also need to vote down every school budget where the teachers do not agree to a freeze and health care contributions (like the rest of the world).

This is the first chance to hack and slash these bloated budgets that we've seen in many years. Let's not waste this opportunity to finally beat down these politicians. The more we cut, the lower our taxes. The "government class" will frantically scream and wail and proclaim that this will be the End of Days. However nobody will die. In fact more people will be able to live: in New Jersey.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,033,646 times
Teachers unions are horrible. Teachers are paid well & They should be grateful they have a job. They aLways use the excuse "the kids will be affected". Thats BS !

Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 AM

272 posts, read 295,783 times
Shorebaby,

Unlike you who wants cut to the bone and don't raise taxes I'm willing to pay that tax increase because I still want some of these services I want my roads plowed, I want my children and my neighbors children to be educated I want the police protecting me. While I do think there are cuts that can be made I also know that there is only so much cutting you can do.... you can only survive not "live" on peanut butter and jelly for so long I know that it is only with everyone working that our economy will turn around and it is only when people are working that my job and your job will become more secure and better. Do some of you listen to your self you are cheering on people losing their jobs and losing benefits instead of hoping that this down hill spiral this country is on doesn't continue and hoping that everyone stays employed with good benefits so that your job isn't in jeopardy becomes more secure and that your benefits can improve. Cut cut cut all you want you act like all this cutting will not have an effect on you. Cut cut cut so no one is working and only the rich can survive. Lets see where that gets us.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Then what does summer vacation matter?

We get paid for doing 10 months of work. Not for our summer. Does that mean you just feel we are overpaid in general?
To your first question, summer vacation only matters in the sense that you can't compare salaries to a salary for a year of work in other professions. For a given pay rate, you'd expect 5/6 the compensation (that includes benefits, etc).

The tax payer doesn't really care whether or not you are "overpaid". The tax payer is unhappy because their taxes keep going up at a much greater rate than median incomes, and they have little to show for it.

I suspect (but don't know since I haven't run the numbers) that a large part of the tax increase is accounted for by a kind of Malthusian crisis where pay rolls (e.g. number of employees) grow during the good times which keeps salaries low even as taxes increase. However, fixing this problem (by trimming the payroll) will be contested as fiercely (perhaps more so!) by the unions as constraints on compensation. Either way, the teachers union is no friend of the tax payer.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Please explain how more people will be able to live in NJ on 40K (the starting salary at my district in Mon Co ) ? Oh wait I mean $39400? Oh and thats with the REQUIRED Masters degree.
Performing the duties of a teacher doesn't require one to have a masters degree. The fact that it takes such a degree to get a job indicates either that something is wrong with the hiring process (that is, the recruiters do not have better means to weed out weak applicants) or that they need to go out of their way to make it difficult to "qualify" for the job (because there are too many applicants. So the assertion that a masters degree is required helps the case for paying less, not more.

By the way, I think there are ways to substantially scale back local budgets without touching starting salaries for teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey