Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:38 PM

14 posts, read 107,763 times

Advertisements

Are the North Bergen/Bergen or Guttenberg areas clean/safe neighborhoods ... and if so, how is the transportation into Manhattan... very available in those areas or do you have to get yourself to Hoboken or Weehawken first?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM

162 posts, read 849,703 times
Default forum

I grew up in Bergen County - Ridgewood, NJ. It's a great town. My father commuted to New York City from there via bus. But....then he had to get a train once he got there - for where he worked on Wall St. So, I think that might be a bit far....sorry I don't know more - I'm in CT now. But in case you were ever going to consider Ridgewood it's a great town, although expensive now.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the help! I'll look into Ridgewood, is it good for college grads or is it more for families? Weehawken and North Bergen are high on my list, as Hoboken is probably far too expensive...

Old 06-13-2007, 07:21 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloatw View Post
Thanks for the help! I'll look into Ridgewood, is it good for college grads or is it more for families? Weehawken and North Bergen are high on my list, as Hoboken is probably far too expensive...
ridgewood is suburbia, not too much for a young single guy, north bergen and guttenberg are so so places, weehawken is hoboken without the action. if you could afford hoboken I'd think that would be the best if you don't mind a crowded urban place

Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 AM

I had been looking at Hoboken a little bit, but I'm just looking for a couple of cheap alternatives to the north so my commute to Fort Lee wouldn't be as bad everyday... any opinion of Union City, Cliffside Park, or Edgewater for someone my age? I'd heard that though Hoboken is like a mecca for young people, bars and entertainment, I had heard Weehawken and maybe the above towns? had at least something to offer --- much more than the "bedroom communities" like Hackensack that I have heard a lot about.

Thanks for your advice!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:47 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloatw View Post
I had been looking at Hoboken a little bit, but I'm just looking for a couple of cheap alternatives to the north so my commute to Fort Lee wouldn't be as bad everyday... any opinion of Union City, Cliffside Park, or Edgewater for someone my age? I'd heard that though Hoboken is like a mecca for young people, bars and entertainment, I had heard Weehawken and maybe the above towns? had at least something to offer --- much more than the "bedroom communities" like Hackensack that I have heard a lot about.

Thanks for your advice!
forget union city, crowded, and almost all hispanic, unless you don't mind being an outsider
edgewater is close to fort lee and so is cliffside, but you're talking all of 10 15 minue difference, if that, in travel time difference from hoboken

Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info, the only thing then appealing about Union City must be the prices then --- but let me just ask you: Hoboken aside, if you were to suggest a nearby town for someone my age (recent college grad, now professional), based on entertainment available, general overall community, and proximity to NYC, where would you most likely suggest?

Old 06-14-2007, 11:36 AM

51 posts, read 262,296 times
I am young and live on Blvd East in North Bergen right next to North Hudson Park...and have previously lived in Hoboken and Jersey City...and this is what I can tell you...

Buses to NYC and Hoboken run all along Blvd East...they stop at our corner on 79th St...and then you have the light rail and ferries nearby in Weehawken...and I believe there are buses that provide transport to them on Blvd East...so the ease to get to the action isn't bad. By car...it takes me about 5 minutes to get to Edgewater...and maybe 10-15 minutes to get to Fort Lee and Hoboken...going along River Rd.

Bergenline Ave...along with some other smaller streets that run between Blvd East and Bergenline...have tons of shops and other conveniences and some great restaurants...but for nightlife we still head into Hoboken or NYC.

The living here is great though...it is safe where we are, we have a huge place with a terrace that we could never have afforded in Hoboken, indoor parking, and other amenities that come with a luxury building like a pool and a gym...and we are right next to this beautiful park. We feel like we are near the action but far enough away that we can relax.

We are also fans of Edgewater and often go there for eating, shopping, and movies...but it's more expensive. Buses also run along River Rd so I think ease of public transport would be good. If you can afford something in Edgewater I would consider looking there as well.

Also...Downtown JC is probably the most comparable to Hoboken in terms of location, conveniences, and nightlife...unfortunately the prices are also very similar.

I was originally reluctant about moving outside of Hoboken/JC area...but I didn't have enough money to live comfortably in those areas. I am comfortable living here and still so close to the action that I don't miss being in the middle of it.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Great information! I was afraid that if I couldn't move to Hoboken, I'd be isolated among bedroom communities or impoverished areas. I obviously don't know the area very well, as I've only lived in upstate NY and Connecticut. But North Bergen sounds like it's in the middle of everything that I would possibly need access to. Might you have any suggestions as to apartments with a decent price range in North Bergen?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 98,393 times
Default North Bergen is nice

I think that you will like North Bergen. There are so many nice apts/condos running along Blvd east as well as on Park avenue (the next street up from Blvd east). Look in areas closer to North Hudson Park as they are a bit less crowded (well compared to other parts of North Bergen). Also, as mishi mentioned buses run along Bergenline and Boulevard East as well as Kennedy Blvd. so you won't have any problems getting around.

Edgewater is also nice. Cliffside Park has some nice areas but I don't know that much about it. I think that with most towns in this area, you will find parts that are really nice and others that aren't so hot.

Hoboken seems like a great choice for you but it's very expensive. You might even like the Newport section of downtown Jersey City. You can even check out apts in the new Gold Coast section of North Bergen/West NY down on River Road (near the Ferry to NY). It all depends on how much you want to spend on rent. Wish you all the best in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey