Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,555,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
We chose to move here because I thought it would be similar to Tucson in climate and scenery. Ok, so I was wrong about that one!
Hey - don't feel too bad. I thought San Diego would be warmer. The hottest month is August with an average high of 79. Not quite the "beach" weather I expected. Now I bring a sweater EVERYWHERE. But then again, I didn't actually pick San Diego for the weather - the job kind of picked me.

Hey - just like Clovis - the people are nice. I'm not going anywhere soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 06:21 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,837 times
There are no ???white people???
meaning what?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,329,855 times
I think one of the funniest questions I was ever asked was about the people living in stick huts. It took me a little while to realize that the guy was serious.

Another thing we noticed is that people have no concept of the size or location of towns in New Mexico. We lived in Carlsbad. It was suggested by someone on the other end of the phone that he run over to Albuquerque for his urine test for his new job. I think our movers were sent to us out of Albuquerque and Las Cruces also. The Lubbock or El Paso branch of the company would have been much closer.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:59 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,494,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think one of the funniest questions I was ever asked was about the people living in stick huts. It took me a little while to realize that the guy was serious.

Another thing we noticed is that people have no concept of the size or location of towns in New Mexico. We lived in Carlsbad. It was suggested by someone on the other end of the phone that he run over to Albuquerque for his urine test for his new job. I think our movers were sent to us out of Albuquerque and Las Cruces also. The Lubbock or El Paso branch of the company would have been much closer.
And there are also people that fly into Albuquerque to go to Las Cruces, even though the El Paso airport is much closer.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,257,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I forgot the most important one:

Airlines Representative: "Sorry, Maam, but we cannot fly your cats on an international flight".

Me: "Which state is international? Maine or New Mexico".
OMG, are you serious? I know that sounds trollish, but you just blew me away.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,380,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
OMG, are you serious? I know that sounds trollish, but you just blew me away.
Never been more serious in my life. I think that woman is the reason behind my having high blood pressure. LOL

She wouldn't take the time to listen, just kept saying it was an international flight. I finally told her I wouldn't fly with that airline for free, because we wouldn't know where we would end up! I want to say it was Continental, but I'm not sure as I called so many.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times
I am amused that it cost more to build a house out of dirt cheap dirt than "conventional materials. As far as summer heat is concerned a windless Boston downtown in the man created canyons at 100 deg F+ is a lot hotter than 100 deg with a dry breeze.

I gotta get out of this place.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am amused that it cost more to build a house out of dirt cheap dirt than "conventional materials. As far as summer heat is concerned a windless Boston downtown in the man created canyons at 100 deg F+ is a lot hotter than 100 deg with a dry breeze.

I gotta get out of this place.
You know what they say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. But, work outside in the desert heat for awhile, and take in more water than you can handle.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 AM

74 posts, read 209,676 times
Hey I freely admit it was dumb of me not to look at the weather a bit more closely.

We were stuck in D.C though and hating it and the job offer in Clovis came up. It's not like we specifically chose Clovis, or even NM, and then tried to find a job - the job found us. The money is good and it got us out of D.C so while we were really disappointed with the scenery and weather it's still 10x better than D.C in our opinion. Moderator cut: Please, no foul, obscene, implied obscene or inappropriate language.

We've lived in Clovis for a year now and I do have to admit that it's a city that slowly grows on you. Do I want to live here more than 5 yrs? No, not particularly, but I've at least found a niche here and finally found some activities for the kids to do. Heck we've even convinced Leals to create a gluten free menu for us - you prob wouldn't get that with some bigger, less friendly, towns.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-17-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,259,623 times
Probably not, Shelsi.
Glad to hear you found someone to accomodate you. Our youngest is gluten intolerant and we went through months of pain with her until we got the diagnosis and her diet worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico