Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,644,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
What you described, I think, personified in Google Street View:
chama nm - Google Maps
Hahaha I am still laughing my head off. Yes sir, that's about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,528,707 times
Quote:
chama nm - Google Maps
Well, there are a few characters in Chama, but I've been going there for four decades for both business and pleasure and East LA it is not. Pretty much you're typical northern New Mexico town. I have a number of good friends there, most of them Hispanic, with a couple that could easily look like the ones in the Google Map photo. The ones I know are pretty normal folks--law-abiding citizens. By the way, I'm a middle-aged Anglo and I get along with the folks in Chama just fine--never felt unsafe there. Now, as I've posted before, if you go into that town, or many in New Mexico, with a big, fat yuppie chip on your shoulder, you may get it knocked off. Treat folks with some normal decency and respect and you should be fine.

As to the trailers, etc., there is no denying that New Mexico (like a lot of Colorado and other Rocky Mountain states) can be pretty improverished in its rural areas. Always has been, and probably always will be--the geography has a lot to do with that.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:33 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,644,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, there are a few characters in Chama, but I've been going there for four decades for both business and pleasure and East LA it is not. Pretty much you're typical northern New Mexico town. I have a number of good friends there, most of them Hispanic, with a couple that could easily look like the ones in the Google Map photo. The ones I know are pretty normal folks--law-abiding citizens. By the way, I'm a middle-aged Anglo and I get along with the folks in Chama just fine--never felt unsafe there. Now, as I've posted before, if you go into that town, or many in New Mexico, with a big, fat yuppie chip on your shoulder, you may get it knocked off. Treat folks with some normal decency and respect and you should be fine.

As to the trailers, etc., there is no denying that New Mexico (like a lot of Colorado and other Rocky Mountain states) can be pretty improverished in its rural areas. Always has been, and probably always will be--the geography has a lot to do with that.
Jazzlover, I don't expect to move to something like Silver City and act like it is New York City or a nice clean suburb of Atlanta. What I expect is a small town quiet atmosphere where people are respectful of each other, they know each other etc. I for sure don't expect cars driving by every few minutes with windows down, music and screaming. I also don't expect weird characters hanging out on corners staring you down.

But to label people as "yuppies" for wanting to have a quiet, undisturbed time in in a town of 10,000 (or 5,000 or 2,000) is on the other end of the spectrum. I treat everyone I meet with respect and most of the time just keep to myself anyways but take that photo from Google street maps as an example - I don't know those folks but I don't think we would be great friends. Driving by them would not make me feel very safe. Maybe they are law abiding but maybe not. Either way, that photo makes the place look weird.

Since I was born and raised in Europe maybe my expectation of a small town is very skewed....

Old 09-29-2010, 04:34 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,188,898 times
Quote:
chama nm - Google Maps
I think cholos in dresses are sooo funny! Nice pic capture!

Old 09-29-2010, 05:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times
I was talking to a friend about San Antonio, New Mexico and she said that there was no way in hell that she could see me moving to TEXAS. I did a double take and told her there was a San Antonio in New Mexico. Some other friends are also concerned that we would bake the incredibly high temperatures. Then I have to explain that Albuquerque is not Phoenix and is usually about 25 deg cooler. After a long conversation with a buddy connected with the VLA I'll have to add Magdalena to possible retirement or snowbird towns.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,528,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Jazzlover, I don't expect to move to something like Silver City and act like it is New York City or a nice clean suburb of Atlanta. What I expect is a small town quiet atmosphere where people are respectful of each other, they know each other etc. I for sure don't expect cars driving by every few minutes with windows down, music and screaming. I also don't expect weird characters hanging out on corners staring you down.

But to label people as "yuppies" for wanting to have a quiet, undisturbed time in in a town of 10,000 (or 5,000 or 2,000) is on the other end of the spectrum. I treat everyone I meet with respect and most of the time just keep to myself anyways but take that photo from Google street maps as an example - I don't know those folks but I don't think we would be great friends. Driving by them would not make me feel very safe. Maybe they are law abiding but maybe not. Either way, that photo makes the place look weird.

Since I was born and raised in Europe maybe my expectation of a small town is very skewed....
You're too hung up on your preconceptions about appearances. The northern New Mexico culture is different than most places. The mix of Native American and Hispanic cultures means that you will see more guys with ponytails, braids, bandanas, etc. Yes, to many Eastern US and Midwest sensibilities they may look like unsavory characters, but most aren't. They make the place look "weird" to you, but for down there, it's "normal." One of my best friends in Chama, a guy who would probably die for me (he's just that caring of a guy), for years wore a bandana or beret and had a braid clear down his back. He's since cut his braid shorter (he's now over 60 and he lamented that it was getting pretty gray). I'm sure if you saw him you might have the impression that he was a guy you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, but you would be wrong in that impression. If I ran into a guy who looked like him in east LA, I, too, might worry--in Chama, no.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM

83 posts, read 180,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
I think cholos in dresses are sooo funny! Nice pic capture!

Terrifying!!!!

I have an invitation to take a test at the City of ELP but I am thinking with a new job in LC, I will not be able to make it to an interview, if I got the invitation to. I think I made my mind, Las Cruces it is and I am very happy to get out of this Las Vegas dirt!! G L A D!!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times
Once upon a time I wore a bandana over my braided hair. In New england.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:12 PM

206 posts, read 536,933 times
That the people were intelligent and educated.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:48 AM

433 posts, read 1,146,076 times
I had a friend recently ask me if you needed a passport visit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico