Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,344,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjjm View Post
I live near Eagle Nest (only one Eagle). I helped start the Moreno Valley High School in Angel Fire and served on the local school board. My wife is an artist and owns a gallery in Angel Fire and is past president of the Chamber of Commerce there. After sixteen years, we know the area pretty well.

First, Moreno Valley HS (a charter HS) is a nationally ranked school based on the Newsweek rankings. Angel Fire has a popular ski area and resort, a first-class restaurant along with some other good ones, a grocery store, and many other amenities. We have a thriving arts community and in August host the Music From Angel Fire chamber music festival that is known around the country. The area is wonderful, but there is more snow here then St. Louis where I was born.

Second, yes, you do have to go to Taos every week or two for groceries and such -- the local store does not have the selection many of us want. They could not support that right now. Taos has skiing, sushi bars, art galleries, many hotels, art museums, and cultural sites galore. It has a branch of the University of New Mexico as well.

What about medical. Say someone wants to retire there, my husband and I are very rural being we have a cattle ranch but as you get older that worries me some. I was in the area last October and liked the entire loop. Not too big of a fan of Taos but the rest of the loop was great. Questa was neat too.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-07-2010 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Fixed quotes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,633 times
There is a hospital in Taos. I have not used it. There is also a local clinic that serves the Valley (AF and EN). There is a company that supplies oxygen, etc. We had a pharmacy in Angel Fire, but the pharmacist retired. We are trying to get a new one and may have one by the end of the year. We have a fire/EMS in AF that is part paid part volunteer -- really great folks. There are many here who are retired.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:18 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,809,545 times
travelerjjm, I expect we've spent a dollar or two at your wife's gallery. We'll be there for the Salon Concert and MFAF Auction and will probably stop in again.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,633 times
We plan to be a the auction and probably the salon concert, too, if she can close the gallery then Introduce yourself to her if you stop in.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 11,859 times
Thank you everyone for the information. My company is looking at 5 or 6 aquisitions in the area in the next 3 to 6 months. I will take the time to come out and get the lay of the land, so to speak. I will get in touch with you, travelerjjm when my plans become a little more concrete. I would love a few pointers on areas to look. We are very much "outdoorsy". Everyone I have talked to says we'll either love it or hate it, not many people in between.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:32 PM

15 posts, read 29,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDINHEAD5 View Post
We live in the St. Louis area, and I've had a job offer in New Mexico to manage a hotel in Taos or Ealges Nest. My employer is increasing his holdings. We have 2 small children and one in high school. What are the schools like?? What kind of employment opportunities could my husband expect to find? Shopping? Is it a good place to live with a family?

To be brutally honest, I wouldn't have moved here (Taos) if I had school aged children. There are private school options and charter schools but I'd stay far, far away from the public schools.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalist View Post
To be brutally honest, I wouldn't have moved here (Taos) if I had school aged children. There are private school options and charter schools but I'd stay far, far away from the public schools.
Why?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,859 times
Yes, what is so terrible about the schools in the area. I admit, I've been spoiled with the school district I am in now. #3 in the state. We do alot at home with the children, which helps I think. Is the teaching poor quality, or non involvement from parents? I do appreciate all the input. I'm trying to get as much information as possible before our trip. We'll need to decide what areas to concentrate on, as our time is limited.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,541,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
School will be culture shock for your kids and northern NM might be a culture shock for you in general.
That's an understatement.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:27 AM

3 posts, read 5,794 times
I was raised in Eagle Nest and Angel Fire. It is very cold in the winter, especially if you live near the lake. This area is very remote and limited. I am a single parent of a 17 year old and I would not recommend raising children in the area. Shopping, what shopping? Santa Fe is the nearest city with a fair amount of amenities. We are planning on moving out of state soon, good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico