Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 14,300 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Taos, NM from Ozark, MO. I have visited several times and loved my experience but am not familiar with the area. I have looked at rentals in Talpa, Questa, and Arroyo Honda as well as in Taos. I'm looking for advice about these areas. We don't have kids so schools aren't a concern for us and my husband makes his income from his computer so we aren't looking for employment. I'm more concerned about crime and general safety. Any tips about life in Northern New Mexico would be appreciated though. ~ Piper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 14,300 times
We will be bringing our Basset Hound along too. Are snakes, cacti, etc. problems for dogs?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Taos is beautiful! There are snakes, but not in town. If you're from Ozark, you won't mind the small-town feel. I can't advise you about the other areas you mention, but welcome to NM!

Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suggest renting first until you know the area and the local housing market and then buying what you want. Enjoy.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I've read where Taos is very spiritual area. I've never been there. New Mexico is an interesting state where you can find cactus blooming in the winter, cotton bolls in the fields, decorated giant cactus at Christmas along with the lighted candles in paper sacks, an array of large microwave dishes listening for aliens in space, and the world's best chili peppers in Hatch. Elephant Butte has one one one prettiest lakes you will ever see in the winter. You can visit White Sands national park, watch thoroughbred horse races at Riodosa, find huge outdoor weekend markets, and authentic Mexican food that is not TexMex. The caves are fun too. Its a nightly tourist draw to watch thousands of bats fly out of the caves at dusk.

New Mexico is a visually interesting state from the mountains to the painted towers at Las Cruces that tell the story of the Three Crosses. New Mexico is as different from the Ozarks and western Arkansas as sail boat is different from an elephant. Sand storms are almost as nasty as tornadoes, and you cannot see to drive through it. There is not as much air conditions as swamp coolers because it is a very arid land.

Mountain cold is not the same as Missouri cold. It will get cooler and colder earlier in the mountains than in the Ozarks. In the southern part of the state winter heat is provided by gas fireplace or logs. Furnace is not needed as much. But is mountains it may be entirely different. Brother live in the mountains where snow was deep and he hunted. Mother lived in Los Cruses which is about 40 miles from El Paso. Regardless of where you live, you do not want to be 100 miles from the nearest hospital or isolate where EMT cannot reach you when you need help.

Welcome to New Mexico. It is a different way of life that is really quite nice. The two best ways to learn about a town is to read the Yellow pages in the phone book, read a local paper and visit the grocery store. They are different than what you see in the Ozarks. I lived in SW MO and NE OK for a number of years when mother lived in NM and my kid lived in San Diego. If I had to pick a state to live out my life it would be hard to chose between NM and OK as in many ways they are similar.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
I'm sure you realize that Taos, Northern New Mexico, and pretty much all of New Mexico for that matter will be a bit of a culture shock for you. However, my gut tells me that so called "differentness" feeling is something that you are attracted to and seek. Of course, the scenery is icing on the cake!

I don't think crime is going to be much of an issue. If you don't sell any hard core drugs I can't imagine having too many problems. I think you will find the populace very down to earth and a sense of community present if you are active and engaged.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:22 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Great comments on New Mexico living. Interesting is a great way ta describe New Mexico living. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean it in a good way. You can make New Mexico living in to whatever you want it to be. In the meantime you'll experience a low population count and beautiful scenery. And some of the hottest sun anywhere per beamcount. But I love the sun so I'm where I should be and where I need ta be.

Amen.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 PM

154 posts, read 346,495 times
I moved to NM from Missouri last year. I liked your poetic comparison between NM and MO, linicx, but I'd just like to note, respectfully, that the sand storms aren't almost as nasty as a tornado, though I know they're damn scary and dangerous.

I probably wouldn't make a comment on the comparison under normal circumstances, but we lost more than 150 people in Joplin, MO, not long ago from a tornado, and that leaves an impression.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 PM

153 posts, read 211,659 times
Default NM to Missouri

Family story (NM natives) sister moved to Liberty, MO, neighbors greeted the family upon arrival with pies and were very welcoming. At first it was VERY shocking since they are not used to this coming from NM.
Taos has many CA transplants although you will experience the locals who are mostly guarded and keep to themselves. This is a plus for private people. Tell us if you experience the Taos "hum"

Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM

65 posts, read 153,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
Family story (NM natives) sister moved to Liberty, MO, neighbors greeted the family upon arrival with pies and were very welcoming. At first it was VERY shocking since they are not used to this coming from NM.
Taos has many CA transplants although you will experience the locals who are mostly guarded and keep to themselves. This is a plus for private people. Tell us if you experience the Taos "hum"
I am also from the kansas city area, and I will say that one thing I miss about the area is the friendliness and acceptance, as sometimes I dont feel like I belong here. NM is not a bad place in general,but keep in mind that it will be very different from missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico