Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

Advertisements

Good point about Las Vegas, NM, Mzurie. I don't know about Coffee Zone over there in MO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanwho View Post
I am also thinking of moving to NM from MO because of my migraines. I want to rent until I find out how the weather affects my head. What is the median range for renting? I currently live in Columbia, population about 85,000 and hoping for a smaller and more rural area. Appreciate any advice I can get. THANKS!

You know I have headaches almost every day of my life except when I am above 6000 feet. I've always wondered why I do not get headaches in higher elevations.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:22 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
I just returned, yet again, from another stay in Taos (I love it). While not a resident, I have spent a lot of time there over the last 30+ years. I don't think you will have any problems with snakes, cactus could be an issue though. Knock on wood, never been a victim of crime or even seen much activity for that matter (I feel perfectly safe). Several years ago, a friend did have his truck broken into at one of the hot springs. Is Taos the friendliest place, no it isn't. But, I have managed to become good friends with several people living there. A good realtor is a must, I still get confused with some of the neighborhoods. My only complaint with the place is amount of trash and junk in people's yards and stuff. Perhaps it's expensive to haul stuff off, I dunno.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,298 times
What great feedback! We would be renting at first. Preferably a free standing adobe instead of an apartment. I agree that Taos is spiritual and that is part of the reason we want to be there. I have been to the NKB ashram and the Lama foundation. My sister lives in Jeff City and although MO is beautiful, we are tired of the ticks and mosquitos and the ridiculously hot and humid summers! We live on a river and I will miss that but it isn't enough to stay.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I go to high altitude to get rid of headaches. No kidding, we go to Northern New Mexico every year and I feel quite healthier there than this low area. Now, my husband gets nose bleeds for about a few days than all is well with him too. We're bee hikers and the first few days I do huff and puff but after than no problem and we usually stay in an area that is 8500 feet. He did not experience even nose bleeds in Taos which I believe is 6500 feet.

Personally, if this ranch would sell I'd move to Northern New Mexico in a heart beat.
For some the high altitude and dry climate works wonders, for others, they never adjust to it. I was one of those. There was no reason for me to have breathing problems according to our doctors except like I said some never adjust.

OP: you might love Taos and it is a beautiful place, but as mentioned it is also going to be a huge cultural shock. As long as your husband works from home, it certainly is worth a try: move there, rent for a year and see if it is a good fit. You can always relocate.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Beck Duggleby

n/a posts
It's not the high altitude you have to worry about... it's that hum.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck Duggleby View Post
It's not the high altitude you have to worry about... it's that hum.
It's sorta like Asthma, some people get better and some get worse.

Albuquerque Journal- Taos Hum in Taos, NM

The hum, a low-frequency buzz that was a constant annoyance to those who heard it, attracted media attention several years ago. Scientists from the state's national laboratories and several universities descended on Taos to measure everything from seismic and electro-magnetic vibrations to the sensitivity of the human ear.

Taos Hum - YouTube

Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 14,298 times
I've heard of the hum many times. The few times I've been to Taos, I haven't heard it. As far as Taos being culture shock...maybe. I lived in questionable areas of Kansas City for 13 years. I'm not sure what you mean specifically but I've lived in areas segregated by extreme poverty and wealth and areas where as a white female I was the minority. I do agree that people in the Midwest may be nicer than the folks in NM. I find here in Ozark people are very kind and go out of their way to be friendly. I didn't find that to be true in KC, just like any other city, people keep to themselves. It's interesting that several posters mentioned culture shock because I'm curious about how they mean it specifically.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:50 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
I'll be in Taos in a few weeks. Hope I don't hear the HUM.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:14 PM

471 posts, read 976,875 times
Just spent a few days in Taos and here are my impressions: Traffic is terribly horrendous through the middle of town..On Sunday, there was bumper to bumper standing traffic all the way from past the north turnoff to the Pueblo to all the way through downtown to where the highway finally becomes 4 lanes heading south. And I mean heavy traffic both directions, most of the day. The downtown is all typical (high) priced specialty shops that appeal mostly to the well heeled older tourist/retired types,...but I didn't see even those types buying anything. Drove all over, did not feel anything particularly spiritual or felt pulled to the place, no hum either, it's just a nicer but smaller version of Santa Fe, without the commerce outside of tourism. Did like the El P motel on the north edge of downtown, worth staying there.

If someone is moving here and has something lined up for work, it might work out.. If not, check out the demographics at the retail places and see the types of work there is and what employers apparently are looking for, maybe it will work for you, maybe not...Housing is not cheap, Espanola, south of Taos, appears to be more affordable.

A little small town charm can be found here, especially if you already know people, but dealing with the traffic every day would be a deal killer for me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico