Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiminghighhere View Post
It will be an adventure for sure and I will try to meet great new people.
Check out the contra dance when you get there--great place to have fun and meet nice people.
Taos Contra Dance: The Original Facebook - Live Taos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:31 PM

802 posts, read 984,752 times
i'm planning a visit to Taos this Christmas Eve for a day or so. haven't been there in 30 years and never at Christmas. what sort of events are going on at that time? I know it will be cold, but are any campsites open? i'm guessing the the roads from Colorado are plowed enough for a 4wd pickup - right? i'd appreciate any responses and hope to see you around the plaza.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 12-14-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,094 times
Well, the pueblo with its dances is the place to be on xmas eve:
Home

Also dances there xmas day.

Check out the hostel:
Taos New Mexico Lodging Hotel Groups Accommodations Hostel New Mexico
I'd make reservations ASAP.

Taos with its luminarias/farolitos is magical at xmas.

The highways down from Colo into NM are maintained, although during a storm the passes can be challenging.

Which way will you be coming, from the front range if I remember correctly?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:21 PM

974 posts, read 2,344,735 times
I used to have a little place in Taos near the plaza for weekend jaunts, and liked the town a lot. It can be rough on newcomers who come with attitude and want to change things - but for those who are accepting of those different from themselves (whatever that may be) I doubt there'll be much of a problem settling in. Do rent first.
Check out Doc Martin's, which is the bar/lounge at the Taos Inn. There's usually something going on there most nights and it's a good place to meet people. As with any place, be a bit wary of strange strangers. Taos has some interesting characters to be sure.
Have a good move!

Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Well, the pueblo with its dances is the place to be on xmas eve:
Home

Also dances there xmas day.

Check out the hostel:
Taos New Mexico Lodging Hotel Groups Accommodations Hostel New Mexico
I'd make reservations ASAP.

Taos with its luminarias/farolitos is magical at xmas.

The highways down from Colo into NM are maintained, although during a storm the passes can be challenging.

Which way will you be coming, from the front range if I remember correctly?
yes, if current plans hold up, i'll be coming from the Pueblo area. conditions will dictate
which route, i suppose. a different plan might have me coming in from the Cortez area.
i'm trying to keep up with all microclimate forecasts and road conditions, but preparing
for surprise blizzards.

thanks for the hostel link. i haven't tried them, but should to find out if they are a good fit.
could really save me a lot of money, shivering, and predator alertness if i use them in my explorations.

kind of wish i could get there in time for Solstice celebrations, instead of
Christmas. farolitos are good anytime. i kind of feel like i would be intruding
on the dances, not being a tribal member or pueblo resident.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
I used to have a little place in Taos near the plaza for weekend jaunts, and liked the town a lot. It can be rough on newcomers who come with attitude and want to change things - but for those who are accepting of those different from themselves (whatever that may be) I doubt there'll be much of a problem settling in. Do rent first.
Check out Doc Martin's, which is the bar/lounge at the Taos Inn. There's usually something going on there most nights and it's a good place to meet people. As with any place, be a bit wary of strange strangers. Taos has some interesting characters to be sure.
Have a good move!
The Inn is where I honeymooned decades ago. many fond memories. good suggestion.
I may be as strange as anybody there. sometimes, it takes one to know one.
for me, Democrats and Republicans are pretty strange. also anyone wearing
high heels or a necktie.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 12-18-2013 at 05:06 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
yes, if current plans hold up, i'll be coming from the Pueblo area. conditions will dictate
which route, i suppose. a different plan might have me coming in from the Cortez area.
i'm trying to keep up with all microclimate forecasts and road conditions, but preparing
for surprise blizzards.

thanks for the hostel link. i haven't tried them, but should to find out if they are a good fit.
could really save me a lot of money, shivering, and predator alertness if i use them in my explorations.

kind of wish i could get there in time for Solstice celebrations, instead of
Christmas. farolitos are good anytime. i kind of feel like i would be intruding
on the dances, not being a tribal member or pueblo resident.
From Pueblo, La Veta pass is the way to go unless there is a horrible storm on the pass.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 PM

route:
http://goo.gl/maps/8o37U

Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
That route looks to be a fantastic drive summer or winter. Several decades ago I rode a motorcycle from Albuquerque to Denver using Rt. 285. I was a memorable ride.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
From Pueblo, La Veta pass is the way to go unless there is a horrible storm on the pass.
that route should be a lot more interesting than boring old 25 and little Raton Pass. it'll give me some
higher pass driving experience at 9200ft before tackling Wolf Creek and Monarch next year. I hope it has a lot of scenic pull-off areas so I can take pictures and relax my grip on the steering wheel (and let the tailgating maniacs behind me get around). looks like youtube has some La Veta videos. think these conditions would require chains, if the tires are new, all-terrain tires?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsY8YlFMt2I

Last edited by highplainsrus; 12-19-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico