Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,346 times

Advertisements

Been doing some work in a couple of homes in Taos the last few weeks. Love it up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:07 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,345,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
Just spent a few days in Taos and here are my impressions: Traffic is terribly horrendous through the middle of town..On Sunday, there was bumper to bumper standing traffic all the way from past the north turnoff to the Pueblo to all the way through downtown to where the highway finally becomes 4 lanes heading south. And I mean heavy traffic both directions, most of the day. The downtown is all typical (high) priced specialty shops that appeal mostly to the well heeled older tourist/retired types,...but I didn't see even those types buying anything. Drove all over, did not feel anything particularly spiritual or felt pulled to the place, no hum either, it's just a nicer but smaller version of Santa Fe, without the commerce outside of tourism. Did like the El P motel on the north edge of downtown, worth staying there.

I agree with traffic in both Taos and Santa Fe. In those two towns we always find a B & B in the heart of the historic district and therefore never have to drive to find parking. I probably will not venture out again to see the Pueblos or the other driving to sites like the churches. Saw them before. We'll stay put for a few days and enjoy the historic part then the beautiful drive to Chama for 10 days.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-24-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 05:12 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times
I have Plano Tx for Taos area on Thursday. I am ready to be in the mointains and escape Tx summer heat. I will be half way between Taos and Angel Fire......heaven in my view

Old 08-26-2013, 02:37 PM

83 posts, read 122,165 times
Upsides of Taos: Stunning scenery, somewhat less expensive housing than Santa Fe (but more expensive than most other parts of NM), the general "energy" of the land, the live and let live attitude, winter sports, and the presence of off-beat places like the NKB Ashram and the off-the-grid earthship housing community.

Downsides of Taos: Not particularly friendly or helpful population, high cost of everything besides housing because it's a considerable distance from all major transportation routes, pervasive cliquishness (and those quirky spiritual-ish types who make Taos such fun to visit can wear on the nerves when you're there longer), treacherous winter roads, spotty Internet and cell phone service.

If I were an independently wealthy writer/artist/environmentalist who needed true solitude, immense natural beauty and solar power to work, and I didn't mind mail ordering or driving three hours for most of my clothing, shoes, electronics, etc., Taos would probably be a place I'd like to live. But if I required some wider sense community and diversity, regular access to good libraries, concerts, and department stores, strong and reliable Internet service, and less than a four hour lead-time to get to a major airport, I'd pick somewhere else.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,121 times
Default Need some advice about Taos, New Mexico

I am relocating to Taos shortly. I hear alot about Sante Fe and ALBQ but what are the positives and negatives with moving to Taos. I am newly single female no kids and a good job. I have lived in the high rockies and found the 10 months of winter too harsh. I am starting over and want to stay positive as moving is nerve-wracking as it is. Do the locals tolerate newbies? Is a garage necessary to not have to endlessly scrape ice/snow and ensure a cold start? I will not have family or any friends so I would like to know if I will feel isolated or have difficulty meeting nice people? I have been there as a tourist in the fall twice and the weather was wonderful. I came home to Colorado with snow and cold. When it snows is it a big dumping or a few inches. I know I have many questions but my main concern is moving alone and being able to fit in with the folks. Thank you in advance especially to those who have lived in Taos!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:27 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,094 times
I've lived in Taos & we have an off the grid home on the high road to Taos that we built many years ago.

Right now we are spending the winter in Crested Butte & just went down to our NM place, spending a bit of time in Taos, looking at properties.

The winters are much milder in Taos. The town is quite a multicultural mix of hispanic, anglo & pueblo indian. The townsfolks are quite a mix & there are plenty of opportunities to find a niche.

We have never had to use our block heaters in northern NM, although one does have to scrape ice & snow.

So you have a job there or taking one with you? That is the biggest hurdle. There are quite a number of rental properties available. What area of town are you looking at in which to live?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 PM

209 posts, read 466,249 times
Taos is a small town but it's not one of those reclusive places. People are generally accepting. You need a garage. Taos gets cold in the winter and one can expect freezes into May. Elevation in town is around 7000 ft, so your not getting the endless cold of high rockies. The drying trend in climate experienced in the rockies is true here as well. I have found that lots of folks tend to flounder for the first year or so until they can get incorporated into the communities they are interested in. Just like any place else, you gotta show up.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I was watching the Weather Channel this, as most, mornings and noted a segment on the Magdalena, NM water supply crisis. Their well literally went dry for a while last summer. I suggest calling the Town Utility Department and ask them about the sufficiency of the water supply. If you find a place off the town water system be certain that it has a functioning water supply as well as a legal right to that water. I believe the State Engineering (water) Office has information on all of NM. Check the State website.

In any case I suggest renting for a year before you finalize your decision to move to Taos.

FWIW - Taos is on our destination list for a winter trip to NM this year.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 10,121 times
Thank you. I have been comparing temps and Taos temps are about 20 higher than where I lived in Colorado. I don't know exactly where I will be moving but I think I will take Solovino1's advice and try to get a place with a garage. I understand that it will take a while for me to get to know the surroundings and meet people. I thought it was quite an interesting place when I visited before. I do like winter believe it or not. Just 16 years of digging and scraping my car got old real fast. I think the atmosphere of artists might be a welcome reprieve from skibums and the endless potheads. It will be an adventure for sure and I will try to meet great new people. Thank you again.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiminghighhere View Post
Thank you. I have been comparing temps and Taos temps are about 20 higher than where I lived in Colorado. I don't know exactly where I will be moving but I think I will take Solovino1's advice and try to get a place with a garage. I understand that it will take a while for me to get to know the surroundings and meet people. I thought it was quite an interesting place when I visited before. I do like winter believe it or not. Just 16 years of digging and scraping my car got old real fast. I think the atmosphere of artists might be a welcome reprieve from skibums and the endless potheads. It will be an adventure for sure and I will try to meet great new people. Thank you again.
And you think the taoseƱo artists don't smoke dope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico