Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:11 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
On post #11, are you talking about TorC? If so, I won’t even bother looking at it. Also, you mentioned that alamogordo looks like it has been blasted away. It doesn’t sound nice either. Like I said earlier, I think all of the great places in nm are where it snows. Any places with just a little snow?
I was talking about T or C in #11, not Alamagordo.

Alamagordo is definitely desert, but it doesn't look like it has been "blasted away" like T or C or the nearby lava fields.

What do you mean by "a little snow"? Except for the mountain communities, I don't know of any place in NM that gets "a lot" of snow --- at least as I would define "a lot."

Las Cruces definitely gets hardly any snow, but that's a bit farther south than you were wanting, isn't it? Same with Carlsbad.

In NM, even places that do tend to get snow...it never lasts very long. It isn't like Minnesota or the Dakotas. Even when places like Santa Fe and Albuquerque get a good snow, it's usually gone within a few days. Unless you live up in the high mountains, there is nowhere in NM where you'll be driving through snow from December to April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 06:14 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Does anyone know how hazardous the air is in Silver City? I mean are there serious health problems as a result of living there?
Someone who knows more than I can give you a better answer, but I don't think there are any serious air quality issues in Silver City. I think most of their environmental concerns have to do with mining run-off in the ground water and such.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,525 times
The winds there are hard to judge really.

In Alamogordo as far as how much wind and how often you will have to talk to someone who lives there all full time all year long. According to the graphs on the city data page for the city, Feb through August have slightly higher wind speeds than the average for the US. Nothing like Lubbock though. That place is nuts LOL!

I can say that I went to White Sands on a very breezy Feb day, and there was no blowing sand. And the sand there is very fine, pure white gypsum as a matter of fact. Hopefully someone here who has lived there year round can answer a bit better. Did you get to see the pics on the city data page??? White Sands is beautiful - there is a nice pic of a yucca plant there.

And yes, the nuclear wasteland (lava fields) Mark was joking about is located all the way up near Socorro, NM. Nowhere near Alamogordo.

Silver City was a big mining town. But guess what? All the silver is gone or close to gone. The town nearly went under.

I would really, really check into water quality and soil quality there. Make sure that the property did not have any abandoned mine shaft underneath either. Apparently that is not uncommon in PA, another big mining state.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 PM

827 posts, read 5,080,878 times
Alamogordo, it gets the sandy winds in the spring but usually just last a couple of months and isn't an issue unless maybe someone with lung problems should stay indoors then. The sand gets real bad the closer you get to White Sands.

Silver City, the air isn't an issue for me. It seems so nice and clear and fresh up in Silver City but I would live up north of Silver City, like up near Pinos Altos or up toward Gila. I wouldn't live down in Hurley or Tyrone.

Lubbock, Winnie I agree! It is the windiest city I have ever seen! Chicago isn't anywhere near that windy. I think the wind powered electric mills should be there. They'd make a bunch of electricity 24/7!

Old 08-31-2006, 12:57 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Winnie, thank you so much for posting the links. I haven't gotten to the job site links yet because I was anxious to see the pics. It looks like a very well kept area. The pic that is the fourth one down on the right hand side of the picture book looks somewhat like the Badlands in S.D. Is it colorful? It looks like it might be and I couldn't believe the similarity. Thanks again.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:50 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
hi, this is all great information. i just checked snow levels for mountainair and estancia areas, and since i like farm communities, it seems like a nice place to move to. i am still curious about silver city's air quality. i have lived in Texas, and it doesn't seem to me that there is much to see, perhaps because I saw it all. I think nm has a lot more to offer in the beauty of nature.

Mark, thanks for telling me about the snow. Alittle is what you are discribing, alot is what Ruidoso gets. anything under 8 inches is a little. I talked to my husband last night about alamogordo, and he doesn't want to live where the military men live. mainly because he is an exnam vet and is trying to forget. he decided he would rather have snow than dust from sand or air pollution. and we both grew up in farm and ranch communities, so maybe mountainair area would work

Old 08-31-2006, 08:02 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Jesseka, this is great. It looks like you have your area narrowed down. Have you ever been to NM? If so, what did you think of the scenery?

Winnie, could you private message me? I can't get the job links to work and it's possibly me, too. They may allow you to post the links on a private message.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:55 PM

Just for the record, those crazy AFPC people moved their website sooo

http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/

is the correct site.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:10 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
Jammie,

I have been to Santa Fe and Taos only, but I flew in so I have not seen the rest of the State. I thought that Santa Fe was too perfect, but I really liked Taos because the town wasn't perfect, and I liked that it was green. And yet due to price of these towns, we have to go further south. (MY mistake, we drove through NM on the way home from living in Texas. I only remember seeing Carlsbad Caverns.)

I typed in Mountainaire and looked at their web pages, and I like the looks of that area. I also looked at photos of Silver City, and it is pretty. Today I looked at lead pollution in the U.S. and NM has the least, so that makes me wonder why people are concerned about the mines in Silver City? I will know more when I do more research. I love Mexico, and so it would be nice to be close to the border in some ways, although I know I probably won't like the border town below El Paso just like I don't like Tijuana here. Still, it is Mexico, and it is nice to go and visit there now and then.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 08-31-2006 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: to add more

Old 08-31-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I love Mexico, and so it would be nice to be close to the border in some ways, although I know I probably won't like the border town below El Paso just like I don't like Tijuana here. Still, it is Mexico, and it is nice to go and visit there now and then.
Ciudad Jurez is the Mexican city near El Paso, and I was told by several native Mexicans to stay away unless you were with someone native to that area.

If you like Mexican culture, you will likely love southern NM. Many of those towns are 40% hispanic, some are even higer percentages. Great hardworking people. And of course you have the Native American influence as well throughout the whole state.

The winery in Tularosa (just N of Alamo.) is a nice experience, the family was really friendly during the tour and they have a very mice Merlot there. There is also Arena Blanca winery down there. And the Eagle Tree Ranch grove's garlic roasted pistachios :drool: you can check them out online: pistachiotreeranch.com good stuff, great prices.

July (If memory serves me right) is the Wine and Chilli War in Alamogordo. Back in 2000, 10 dollars got you all you can eat/all you can drink at the party. Unfortunately, we were not able to go d/t DH's military schedule. But it sounded like a real treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico